Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Thinking of buying this. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Shepard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Have not been able to give it a try. I am a huge Marvel fan. I just wonder if this Game would be good for me. I have enjoyed games such as Lord of the Rings: LCG and Dominion. Also in hear that it is set up to be competitive but hear it can be done more co-op. I would like to play with my wife in a Co-op manner.

Also any of the expansions recommended right of the bat to give better balance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Lorenthia is gone, The Shadow Deep has swallowed it whole.
badge
Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space. Space monkey! Ready to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark City comes to mind.
DoesItQuest wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lambrecht
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highly Recommend

It’s Dominion mixed with Marvel so sounds perfect for you. It’s balanced really well right out of the box everything else just adds some different key words to trigger abilities and more scheme twists to change up how you go about things. Dark City is a great big box that makes some things a little challenging. I also like the X-Men big box which also adds a ton! I’ve added a few smaller boxes just to change things up a little bit and get characters I wanted. I play with the base rules out of the box, the only part that made it competitive is you keep track and score at the end the points from defeating people and rescuing bystanders. We just completely skip this step and just play the game as the points don’t matter to keep it full co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Lorenthia is gone, The Shadow Deep has swallowed it whole.
badge
Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space. Space monkey! Ready to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the cards are written with semi-coop in mind, though. There are certain things that are sort of poke your neighbor in the eye, not really suited for coop. eg other player gains a wound. I still play full coop with certain crowds, though, that are too competitive for their own good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoesItQuest wrote:
Have not been able to give it a try. I am a huge Marvel fan. I just wonder if this Game would be good for me. I have enjoyed games such as Lord of the Rings: LCG and Dominion. Also in hear that it is set up to be competitive but hear it can be done more co-op. I would like to play with my wife in a Co-op manner.

It's awesome. Scratches the itch that comics do, but also a very good game based on its merits as a game alone. I'd get Fantastic Four, Dark City, and Noir without hesitation. I will eventually have them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knutson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:
It's awesome. Scratches the itch that comics do, but also a very good game based on its merits as a game alone. I'd get Fantastic Four, Dark City, and Noir without hesitation.

I almost agree with this poster. I'd say the top 3 to get in my humble opinion are Dark City, X-Men, & Fantastic Four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zakk1121 wrote:
Race Bannon wrote:
It's awesome. Scratches the itch that comics do, but also a very good game based on its merits as a game alone. I'd get Fantastic Four, Dark City, and Noir without hesitation.

I almost agree with this poster. I'd say the top 3 to get in my humble opinion are Dark City, X-Men, & Fantastic Four.

X-Men is awesome, too. I was thinking he starts off with one big box (Dark City), and two different small boxes to show the different flavor they can bring to it. Noir is a good example to me of a different approach, different art style, and alternative "elseworlds" setting for the cards. I love the pulpy look of those cards. Noir also illustrates how they'll introduce a unique action (e.g. "Investigate") for a small box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I’d recommend either Dark City or X-Men as a first big box expansion, and Fantastic Four is my favourite small-box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good fit for you. I'll also give another nod for Dark City as your first expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely ignore the semi co-op nonsense and play fully cooperatively (usually with the family).

Dark City is almost required to fully enjoy the game but you could easily stop there. After that I recommend Fantastic Four, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Paint the Town Red (Spider-man stuff).

As a bonus, you can fit all of the above when sleeved into the base game box. It's a tight fit with the included insert but fits easily with a third party insert.

I love the game but have no desire to pick-up anything else as I have pretty much every hero and main villain and don't want to move to a second box storage solution for the few I'm missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and the wife have more than 300 games with this and we play full coop, so go for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
picklethehutt wrote:

I love the game but have no desire to pick-up anything else as I have pretty much every hero and main villain and don't want to move to a second box storage solution for the few I'm missing.

Once you move to the "Okay, two boxes" stage, it gets you a ton more because those big boxes hold so much by themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deutsch
msg tools
mb
Legendary sounds like it'd fit your gaming tastes. The base game holds up and you can get many fun games out of just that box. The heroes of the base game are still among the best ever made and are generally very fun and thematic to play. The main weakness of the base game are the foes, who tend toward weak.

As many have stated above, Dark City is basically essential, and the base game and Dark City synergize wonderfully by providing great combos and some genuinely tough fights.

After that, it is a bit open. Expansions come in two sizes: big box and small. Clearly, the Xmen big box is popular but the other big boxes have great benefits and are worth it. Buying in release order is not the worst idea because each sets feels increasingly complicated and building up to them makes sense. But, mostly, it is a question of which Marvel characters you like. As an aside, the Villains base game is fun, completely compatible, and adds some diversity (but the villains-as-heroes are more competitive generally).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
We definitely suggest you buy this game, but what would expect from a forum dedicated to the game? It sounds like this would really be your cup of tea, in particular since you're a fan of Dominion and the Marvel universe.

Check out the reviews, and you should have a good shot at playing it at a local gaming store, since it is among the more popular games.

If you do get it, there are multiple threads here about what expansions to get based on what you want, be it more of a challenge, different styles of play and especially what parts of the Marvel Universe you like (although that last one is pretty self-evident based on the expansion titles).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shepard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
So made the initial start to get into this. I bought the main set, x-men big box and fantastic four. My local shop didn't have Dark City. So it will have to wait.

Now what is the best way to organize the box using the insert that comes with it? Also how many of you sleeve all your cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Snaer
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoesItQuest wrote:
So made the initial start to get into this. I bought the main set, x-men big box and fantastic four. My local shop didn't have Dark City. So it will have to wait.

Now what is the best way to organize the box using the insert that comes with it? Also how many of you sleeve all your cards?

Oh I sleeved my cards the moment the thought popped into my mind, and I recommend you do the same, as it's very beneficial for your cards. My only recommendation here, is that you sleeve your cards when you can do so in one go, and also only buy/use future sets when you have the sleeves for them too.

As for how you'd organize the box, I think you have enough room to stuff everything into the main box; I'd keep the excess Styrofoam blocks in the x-men box too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely sleeve. If you don't, the more commonly used cards will quickly show wear and be identifiable compared to other cards. Smash shuffling works well when sleeved. I don't recommend cheap sleeves (penny sleeves or regular Mayday) as they feel awful. Go with Mayday Premium, FFG, Ultra-Pro, or some other quality sleeve. There are lots of threads discussing sleeves.

Another tip for setting up:

Once you have big stacks for the hero and villain decks I recommend "dealing" them to 10 or so piles. Then stack the piles and start shuffling. This is to prevent massive clumps of the same card in the decks. Before doing this we would often get 3-4 scheme twists in a row from bad shuffling. This is more random than starting your shuffle with many copies of identical cards stacked. It's the same principle as spreading everything on the table before shuffling but won't rip sleeves like table-spreading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve with Mayday Premium (7077). Small deck shuffling is so much easier with sleeves, and you have to shuffle your hand and other small groups of cards a lot.

You can purchase Mayday sleeves for 40% off after Thanksgiving, so that can be where you get the bulk of them next year.

Sleeve them as you go until then (just what sets you play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
picklethehutt wrote:
Definitely sleeve.
I agree 100%!!!

picklethehutt wrote:
I don't recommend cheap sleeves (penny sleeves or regular Mayday) as they feel awful.
Here's where I disagree. I use UltraPro Penny sleeves and have had zero problems and don't think they feel awful at all. As a matter of fact, I prefer their feel to the expensive, thick sleeves that sometimes get recommended around here.

YMMV. I don't know if you sleeve other games or what sort of preferences you have when it comes to sleeves. The only thing I know for sure is that you really should sleeve this game and you should go with either clear or all one color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any experience with Ultra-pro penny sleeves so maybe they're better but other cheap sleeves (like Mayday regular or penny) feel like cellophane and are loud (crinkle sound) when holding the cards and seem to let the cards slide out of the sleeve easily.

I use Mayday Premium and like the thick feeling. FYI, Mayday Premium are the cheapest thick sleeve but you will find differences in sleeve width and height between packs of Mayday. I don't like the height differences so I use a paper trimmer to cut the third or so of the sleeves to matching height.

Ultra-pro is properly cut (but I HATE the hologram). FFG make great sleeves but they are way too tall. So much so that I would end up trimming every sleeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shepard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I also play Lord of the Rings: LCG and I have sleeved all of that in FFG sleeves. I know for them they are about 1/8in to tall but have had no issue with them. I think if Legendary takes the same size sleeve I will stick with them as I can buy many at the same time to gave sleeves on hand.
I have not played yet but had fun breaking everything down and organizing it. I look forward to getting in to this.

Any other tips as I start to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoesItQuest wrote:
Any other tips as I start to play?

I love the custom dividers that members have made and posted here. You'll find a wealth of them. I print them on my own inkjet on Costco premium photo paper (Kirkland brand), and use a Fiskar light duty paper cutter to slice them up. They also print pretty well on Staples brand card stock (the heaviest weight). Sometimes heavy weight stock will not feed well, just trial and error.

There are two main ways of doing the symbols on the dividers. I forget what they are called. If you go to the Files section of this game page, you'll see a lot of the divider work that's been done.

Honestly, half the fun for me is sleeving and organizing them. It's relaxing to me, like doing needlepoint or something. You can have a great time just organizing your cards, playing the solo tournaments posted here, and occasionally playing more.

Oh, and if you do the tournaments they've made a great site for managing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shepard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I liked the dividers finnsea15 made. So my wife works for a printing company and she will be printing them on card stock and cutting them down for me. I will have to look into the tournament's and also see they have a league on here that sounds interesting. So excited to play. I should go play my first time right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoesItQuest wrote:
So excited to play. I should go play my first time right now.

Just so happens that November's solo "Starter League" challenge used Base Set and FF only. So you could go to that thread and follow the set-up rules and try it out. The ability to use the League website to upload results is gone (event closed Nov. 30), but the info needed for set up is right there in the thread. I've enjoyed it more knowing I'm doing a set up that the others were trying.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1875483/starter-league-26-n...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shepard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
So trying to figure out the setup on that league solo page. So do we skip using the Doombots that Dr. Doom always lead? So we just use the villian Items listed in the Match setup?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.