Michela & Dario Basile
Italy
Firenze
Firenze
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

We tried Eschaton for the first time today, then we had a second game tonight just to be sure. It's a very beautiful game (and I particularly appreciate the insert, that keeps sleeved card perfectly with a snug fit).

Now, on with the questions:

1. With only 2 players, the first player marker stays with the same player for the whole game (and acts only as a reminder that every time that player takes his turn, he has to draw an event/omen card) or it passes from one player to the other (so that every player takes two turns, consecutively - the last of a given round, and the first of the round after)?

2. Is there a way to make the game run faster? Pumping up Zeal (drawing as many cards as possible each turn is the first commandment for players of this kind of games), with lots of cards to resolve each turn, the downtime is humongous. We're talking about two hours games, with no AP at all, and just 2 players - I can't imagine how long would a game be with 3 or 4.

Dario Basile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mc
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the game very much but it really doesn’t work with 2 players. Taking two turns in a row is just not viable.

It really shouldn’t take as long as that though, regardless of the number of players.

While the Zeal phase is extended when you draw more cards with their own Zeal, it hasn’t added significant time in our games to look at those cards and resolve the additional Zeal. I think the 2 player issue in a game where the 1st player token cycles each round so that the players take double turns is the primary culprit as far as downtime goes.

One way to reduce the timing overall would be to remove one of the omen/event stacks. That would shorten the game length by between 3 to 5 turns, depending on the order of cards drawn. But that wouldn’t help with the situation you’d described.

Regarding the insert; what sleeves do you use? I was very sad to see that mine did not fit at all. I hate throwing inserts away. I used the FFG sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michela & Dario Basile
Italy
Firenze
Firenze
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CorumMc wrote:

Regarding the insert; what sleeves do you use? I was very sad to see that mine did not fit at all. I hate throwing inserts away. I used the FFG sleeves.

We use Mayday Games Premium Standard 63.5x88mm, code MDG-7077. I think MDG-7041, being the same size but a little thinner, would fit exactly the same - of course, you would use a lot less slots in the insert, making fitting the upcoming expansion in the main box a lot easier.

When you put the board and the manual over the vertically (flanking) stacked cards, and you close the box, they are locked in: my astonishment on this smartly designed insert quickly turned into doubt, so I picked the box up and shaked it energically like I would do to prepare a 007 Martini, and when I opened it the cards were still perfectly in place.

So kudos for the insert design, and let's adopt the easiest variant in the world: we will simply alternate turns, or if we want to make our life harder we could test if the (in)famous Thue-Morse turn sequence (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thue%E2%80%93Morse_sequence) works for this game.

Dario Basile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bvttero wrote:

2. Is there a way to make the game run faster? Pumping up Zeal (drawing as many cards as possible each turn is the first commandment for players of this kind of games), with lots of cards to resolve each turn, the downtime is humongous. We're talking about two hours games, with no AP at all, and just 2 players - I can't imagine how long would a game be with 3 or 4.

While I do LOVE this game, I find the same thing. The downtime is significant. I think 3 players is the sweet spot but it's still 3 major sections of player interaction (card draft, card purchase, area control) each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.