Noah Bradlee
United States
Bolton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First forum post ever, woo! No idea how to do this! Anyways...
Edit: Oh my gosh, I have spent 5 hours on this post, this was a terrible idea. ANYWAYS...

Original Set only

The more players there are, the less apparent overpowered cards and playable Super Heroes become. That said, no matter how many players there are, Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter (promo intended for this set) should never be played as. Within only around 6-10 turns they each become an instant +3 Power on nearly every turn.
Superman is similarly overpowered, since +1 Power for each different Super Power, including your first Kick. Because Kicks are always available to buy, and most Super Powers are just about giving you a lot of Power, so Superman's ability is significantly more powerful than Batman's similar +1 Power for each Equipment you play.
With 2-3 players, The Flash shouldn't be played as because there are too many (inexpensive) cards that allow you to draw cards, including every Location.

Green Arrow's Bow usually gives the equivalent of +4 Power, buy only has cost 4. Either remove the three copies of this card (much to Batman's detriment) or have a house rule where they cost 5.
Man of Steel gives +3 Power and "Put all Super Powers from your discard pile into your hand." This can be manipulated to make Kicks essentially only cost 1, because they cost 3 and give you +2 Power. Additionally, the ability to put Super Strength (+5 Power) back into your hand for free, on top of all those Kicks. If Superman gets this card, you might as well consider him the instant-winner.

Captain Cold and Braniac should not be include in the Super-Villain stack in a 2-player game, and you also might not want to include The Joker, as their First Appearance - Attacks all count on there being moe players.
The Super-Villain stack should be somewhat stacked such that whoever comes after Ra's Al Ghul is not a cost 12 Super-Villain, especially in a 5-player game.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Crisis Expansion 1
The Crisis Expansion focuses largely on a cooperative mode, but can be played competitively. Crisis 1 is best suited with the Original Set, and I almost always play the Original Set with many of the Crisis 1 cards mixed in.

Most of the Super Heroes introduced in this set shouldn't be played as in a competitive game. All Crisis Super Heroes are best suited for cooperative mode, but Crisis Superman could be in a competitive game, as well as Crisis Wonder Woman if you really want to.
Animal Man suffers from the same Problem as Green Lantern, and turns into +2 Power every turn.
Green Arrow makes Villains and Super-Villains too easy to buy, especially if you buy more than one at a time or cheap ones like Suicide Squad (worth lots of Victory Points) or Clayface (one of the most powerful cards in the game, but only costs 4).
New players should not use Constantine, as destroying a good card is required to use his ability, which most new players are unwilling to do. Even then, his ability
Swamp Thing, even in a 5-player game, because typically only three Locations show up in each game at maximum, and his ability can be thwarted by another player not every playing their Location.
Most Equipment in the original set are weak besides Green Arrow's Bow (which I still recommend removing, as explained later) and The Bat-Signal. Robin's ability to replace only his first card draw with getting an Equipment from his discard pile is often difficult to pull off and offers much less use than Batman's ability.

I almost always play the Original Set with many of the Crisis 1 cards mixed in.
For 2-player games I REMOVE:
Green Arrow's Bow x3
J'ohn J'onzz x1
Man of Steel x1
Titans Tower x1
Super Strength x1
Harley Quinn x1
Starro x1 (can be kept in games with more players)

I add all cards from Crisis 1 EXCEPT:
Quiver of Arrows x2 (useless in competitive)
Magician's Corset x1 (can be kept in games with more players)
Animal Man x1 (I already put two of them in)
House of Mystery x1 (overpowered Location)
Flight x2 (I already put two of them in)
Power of the Red x1 (I already put two of them in)
Avatar of the Rot x1 (unless playing with the Arkham Breakout Crisis)

I don't recommend playing with Impossible Mode Super-Villains in a competitive game, especially one with four or more players.
If you do play with Impossible Mode Super-Villains, still use my tip about ones with cost 12 and 13, and probably don't use Hades due to not enough good cards being destroyed in a competitive match.

Playing a competitive variant where the first Crisis, Arkham Breakout, is always in play ("Ongoing: When a Vilain with an Attack enters the Line-Up, treat it as if it were a First Appearance - Attack Against all players.") is indeed a fun variant. Only in this variant would I recommend playing with Avatar of the Rot.
Even when playing with one of the first four (smaller) crossover packs, I recommend replacing at least some of the Original Set cards with some of the more interesting Crisis 1 cards (especially ones like John Constantine which add more ways to destroy your cards).

Crisis Expansion 2 and 3
These expansions were designed to go with the sets Heroes Unite and Forever Evil respectively, so I would recommend using them for those sets instead. Because of this, I shall keep my recommendations more concise.

Recommended Playable Super Heroes
Crisis Hawkman (if you really want to)
Star Sapphire (admittedly weak)
Indigo-1 (Hero and Villain equivalent to Cyborg)
Red Lantern Supergirl (4+ players only)

Recommended Playable Super-Villains
Killer Frost
Deadshot
Cheetah
Poison Ivy

Recommended Crisis 2 Cards
Nth Metal Mace x2
Star Sapphire x2
Crystal Shield x2
Rage Blood x2
Possession x1 (4+ players)
Black Lantern Aquaman x2
Black Lantern Green Arrow x2 (4+ players)

Recommended Crisis 3 Cards (all x1 because there's only one of each)
Sniper Rifle
Tarot Cards (4+ players only)
Boomerang
Madame Xanadu
Black Orchid
Cat-like Reflexes
Chlorokinesis
Shadow Thief
Joker's Daughter

Crisis 2 and 3 Impossible Mode Villains usually incorporate harsh First Appearance - Attacks that require destroying either more than one card or some of your bests cards, so only play with them with experienced players ready to suffer serious losses (a.k.a. don't play with them).

The Immortal Villain Crisis is not recommended over Arkham Breakout.
The This World is Ours Crisis is not recommended at all, it essentially prevents you from buying Villains.

Crossover Pack 1 - Justice Society of America
This is a nice change of pace that greatly increases the value and use of Starter cards, which I enjoy occasionally playing. It works well with the Original Set.

Power Girl can be seen as an attempt to make a nerfed version of Superman. She gets a Punch from her discard pile every time she plays a different Super Power, but because there's a definite maximum to how many Punches you'll be able to get (7 at maximum, minus 1 for each you've destroyed, and then you only have access to the ones in your discard pile). I'd recommend changing it to getting a Punch for every Super Power so she can make use of duplicate cards since there will also be times where she'll get nothing due to reshuffling her deck.
Mister Terrific's ability discards a Punch to possibly get an Equipment from the top three cards of your deck, but because most Equipment cards in the Original Set are quite weak, I recommend not using him with this set.
Wildcat very quickly turns into drawing 1-2 cards nearly every turn, which is significantly more powerful than the other Super Hero's abilities.

The Super-Villains Icicle, Gentleman Ghost, Eclipso, and Gog are better suited to games with 3+ players, and in a 2-player game Icicle should be replaced with a different cost 10 Super-Villain, as getting rid of your only opponent's Super Hero ability is too much of an advantage.
For ever Crossover Pack other than this pack with Icicle, I recommend using the eight included Super-Villains in ascending order.

Crossover Pack 2 - Arrow (The Television Series)
This set introduces a new zone, where you put cards underneath your Super Hero that you can interact with in various ways, and hilariously uses images of the live-action TV show instead of comic book art. It works well with the Original set also.

Oliver Queen's ability is dependent on Equipment, and I don't need to repeat myself again. He is better suited to the Heroes Unite set.
John Diggle is typically better in a game with 3 or more players, when there are more opportunities to use Defense cards.
Roy Harper is terrible. "Once during each of your turns, you may put a Super Power from the Line-Up under your Super Hero. At the start of your turns, if there are four or more cards under your Super Hero, +2 Power and you must destroy four cards under your Super Hero." Either increase how much Power he gets or not make it mandatory to destroy the cards as soon as possible, because he rarely gets to use his ability, let alone at a good time, and will often lose access to the cards under him. There are ways to gain the cards underneath your Super Hero, so you can use this to get Super Strength or Heat Vision for free, but even though his ability is probably at his best when combined with the Original Set, I recommend never playing as him.
When playing with Crossover Pack 2, I recommend using the pack's Super Heroes in a 2-3 player game, but not with 4+ players, because their weaker abilities will likely lead to the game ending from the main deck running out, after 3+ hours of playing.

Explosive Arrow is an especially nasty card in a 2-player game, though I'd still recommend using it.
Detective Lance should be removed from a 2-player game, and even in a a game with 3+ players he should not allow you to look at the cards underneath a foe's Super Hero, as it is already easy enough to memorize what they have underneath it, so a better gameplay mechanic would be punishment for not remembering and keeping track.
Verdant is an incredibly powerful Location that allows you to mill your deck by putting a bad card underneath your Super Hero at the start of your turn in order to draw a card. This should be shuffled back into the deck if it appears early on in a 2-player game, and significantly decreases the usefulness of Oliver Queen if he gets it. Consider removing.
Bronze Tiger is incredibly powerful with any number of players, so I'd recommend bumping his cost up to 7 or changing the second part of his text to drawing one card instead of two.

Edmund Fyers, the first Super-Villain, is significantly weaker than every other first Super-Villain, and for that reason is usually bought after players have already had 8+ Power a few times. Consider changing his text to "Ongoing: Every time a card tells you to draw one or more cards during each of your turns, you may put one of the cards drawn this way under your Super Hero," instead of only just the first time (although this doesn't make him too much better).
Deadshot's First Appearance - Attack can force you to destroy a card with cost 3 or less in your hand or discard pile, and I suspect this to be some sort of typo. Consider changing this to being forced to destroy a card with cost 3 or less in your hand or changing it to being forced to destroy a card with cost 1, 2, or 3 in your hand or discard pile.

Crossover Pack 3 - Legion of Super Heroes
This pack introduces a gimmick called Time Travel, which allows you to discard a card in order to play a Time Travel card from the Line-Up or top of the Super-Villain stack, but you become unable to buy that card. It is quite lengthy, with the shortest time probably being one with 3 players (no more, no less). The Original Set's focus on pure Power makes it the best set to play this pack with, but I would recommend skipping this pack entirely.

In a 2-player game, either both players should play as one of Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, and Cosmic Boy, or neither of them should. In order to speed up the game, I recommend as many players as possible use these Super Heroes, as they all allow for more Time Travel to happen.

Dawnstar is nearly useless in a 2-player game, but needs to be included because they are already only 14 Time Travel cards in the main deck.
Universo is better suited to a game with more players, much like the Super-Villains.

Every Super-Villain besides the first one has an Attack instead of a First Appearance - Attack and only give you Power if the Attack doesn't affect any foe and only if you own the Super-Villain. The rules even call a 5-player game Impossible Mode. Games with 4+ players will see these Attacks used endlessly, so I don't recommend playing with that many players. On the other hand, in a 2-player game, a Super-Villain will either force your opponent to discard a single card or give you +3 Power, making them one of the weakest sets of Super-Villains of any set or pack (all they're missing is Edmund Fyers, and then I could pretty much guarantee that nobody would ever buy a Super-Villain).
It is this mechanic that makes me recommend a 3-player game far more than any other number of players, and ultimately makes me not recommend this pack at all.

Crossover Pack 4 - Watchmen
This pack is primarily focused on a cooperative mode that includes a secret traitor. It comes with no Super-Villains, only ten cards that can be used in a competitive game, four of which are duplicates with the only difference being their card type, five of which are overpowered, and one that is much less useful in a 2-player game. You can use these cards in a competitive game, but you might as well not even bother. I do not recommend buying this pack if you're not going to play the cooperative mode with 3-4 players.

Every Super Hero is much better suited for the Heroes Unite Set besides Dr. Manhattan and The Comedian.
The second time Dr. Manhattan plays a Super Power, he may destroy a card in his hand. Pretty often this would require destroying a Punch, thus sacrificing +1 Power when he does it, and his ability only allows him to mill his deck, so I would recommend not using him.
Is The Comedian is used, his ability should be adjusted so that he doesn't get to draw a card when he plays a Super-Villain, as the goal of the game is already to buy as many of these powerful Super-Villain cards as possible.

Disintegration is a cooperative mode only card. It should always be removed from a competitive game.

The Challenges Rioting, Cancer Scare, and Alien Invasion (which is basically the same as Arkham Breakout Crisis, but also when an Attack card is destroyed)could all be used in a competitive game, though Alien Invasion is the only one I recommend, as Rioting would just make the game incredibly tedious and Cancer Scare would quickly empty the Weakness stack.
Loyalty Cards, Villainous Machinations, and Mastermind Plots are all not used in a competitive game.

Crossover Pack 5 - The Rouges
This pack is intended to go with the Forever Evil set, but can be played with any set. It contains significantly more cards than any of the previous packs, makes great use of the VP tokens from Forever Evil (so if you don't own it you'll need something to use as counters, preferably something you divide up into 1's and 5's), and all of the playable Super-Villains have the new ability Teamwork, where you an opponent gains one VP (from the bank) so you can play the top card of their deck. Having a choice of who you Teamwork (and purposefully repeating who the previous player(s) Teamwork'd) makes a game with 3+ players much more engaging than a 2-player, but a 2-player game is still fun. Cards from this set also are all shuffled into the top half of the main deck, and are all worth 0 victory points, instead giving you VP tokens to use as a currency of sorts.

When playing with this pack, all players should play as one of the included Super-Villains.
Heatwave's ability is entirely dependent on being able to destroy cards with cost 2 or greater, so he should only be used when using Forever Evil, as destruction is far more prevalent in that set.
If it weren't for his ability to use Teamwork, Trickster would be the undisputed worst playable Super-Villain/Super Hero. Never play as him under any circumstances, his ability is so bad that there is no possible way to fix it. Only in Heroes Unite can he have any chance of working (that's a lie, even then he won't work).
Golden Glider and Mirror Master are both significantly more Powerful than Captain Cold and Weather Wizard with this set, so in a 2-player game I recommend either GG vs MM or CC vs WW (or Heatwave vs Trickster as a joke).

Bag of Tricks says, "Pay X VPs: +X Power and draw X cards." The rules state that you can do this one VP at a time, but if you use this absurdly powerful card you should play that you have to pay all the VPs you're going to pay all at once. Typically, I put this card at the very bottom of the top half of the deck and then remove it once it shows up, just to signify that we've gotten through all of the cards from the pack.
Patty Spivot can easily allow you to Teamwork twice, and for that reason should probably have cost 4 or 5 instead of 3, especially since drawing cards is so easy in the Original Set.

The Flash (Return From The Speed Force) is better suited to a game with 3+ players. I suspect that because he allows you to Teamwork more than one foe, in a 5-player game whoever's turn it is when He is revealed will easily be able to buy him now that they're going to be able to play 9 cards in a single turn.

Crossover Pack 6 - Birds of Prey
This pack focuses on having a bunch of Ongoing cards that rotate when certain things happen, and grant you a special ability when they rotate all the way up. It's quite the simple gimmick, but enjoyable nonetheless. It's better suited for the Teen Titans set, but unlike The Rouges and Forever Evil, this pack is much more suited to be able to be played with any set.

All Super Heroes in this pack have abilities that have to do with rotating cards, so I recommend that all players use them when playing with this set.
The only Super Hero of note is Katanna, who has a particularly weak ability on top of it being dependent on the Original Set's weak Equipment cards. She shouldn't be played as, but especially not with this set.

Whip and Roulette have the same game text but different costs. Roulette is a typo and should read "+1 Power" instead of "+2 Power".
Clocktower is a Location that can allow you to take extra turns, and should probably re removed from a 2-player game where you only have one opponent.

Posion Ivy is best suited for a game with 3+ players.

Crossover Pack 7 - New Gods
This pack is yet to be released.

Multiverse Box
Don't know, haven't played it yet, it probably works fine.

Rivals - Batman vs The Joker
This standalone expansion is a 2-player mode where instead of fighting Super-Villains you fight each other. The smaller number of cards in the expansion can lead to a lot of repetition when playing it, so eventually mixing in some cards from a main set could help change things up at the risk of diluting the Rivals-specific cards.

Cards from Rivals should not be used in any set other than Confrontations, but cards from other sets could be used in Rivals.

Heroes Unite, Forever Evil, Teen Titans, and Confrontations
These sets are all standalone sets that I consider to be better than the Original Set. If you want to get one of them and try mixing sets together, go for it! Probably don't mix with Confrontations, though. (It's similar to Rivals.)
Get creative!

Other Promo Cards

Kid Flash basically does nothing and should never be played with.
Vixen benefits from too many different card types and is overpowered.
Black Lightning requires you to discard too many cards to be useful.
Skitter is intended for Teen Titans and even then is next to useless.
Starfire is an actually balanced promo that is probably better in the Original set than Heroes Unite, but is worse in a game with 4-5 players.
Bane is intended for Forever Evil and is overpowered, being able to quickly turn Kicks into Super Heroes/Super-Villains.
The Joker is intended for Forever Evil but is probably better is the Original set where there are lots of cheap Villains that he wouldn't mind destroying. Only use with 3+ players.

Gotham City Docks is a Location that gives you more control over what's in the Line-Up, and I would recommend replacing the Titans Tower with it.
Gypsy is intended to go with the Birds of Prey pack.

Felix Faust is a Super-Villain with an interesting First Appearance -Attack with 3+ people, but his effect when you play him is incredibly overpowered, allowing you to put tons of good cards from your discard pile into your hands.

Cryptozoic 2015 Volunteer Promo Cards
You don't, and will never, own the Cryptozoic 2015 Volunteer Promo Cards.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I plan on making posts like this for every set, pack, expansion, promo, and whatever for the DC Comics Deck-Building Game, and hopefully, I won't stay up until 3:00 in the morning writing the next one!
I am insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Roulette is a typo. It should only be +1 Power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Bradlee
United States
Bolton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! I'll go and change that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Jordan
msg tools
Thank you for your hard work! this is good information

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome article

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Steele
msg tools
mbmbmb
So many people really have a high opinion of Green Lantern
He never does that well when he's played in my group; we play 4/5 player games.
The game just doesn't seem as good with 2 player. There doesn't seems to be much risk in letting a cards sit on the line-up for a turn, you can just get it next turn. That luxury doesn't really exist in games with higher player counts. Things just get out of control in 2 player games, people are more easily kept in check with more players in the game. Also, my observation has been that competetive play consists of 4 player games. I will say this, more characters are viable in a 2 players game because you have better access to the line-up.

Anyway, Green Lantern doesn't have a good early game and his mid-game isn't as good as Martian Manhunter.
By the time he gets rolling, he always seems too far behind the majority of the cast.

If he was in a 4/5 player without Cyborg, Superman and Martian Manhunter; I could see him doing well. If someone can actually win with Green Lantern with those 3 in the mix, I'd be impressed. You know what, play a 4 player game with Cyborg, Superman, Martian Manhunter and Green Lantern in base set 1 a couple times and tell me how it goes. Maybe we just don't play him properly.
Side note, I remember a game I won with Flash. Titan's Tower was on the initial line-up and I could actually afford it. After that, many of the other draw cards and powerful cards hit the line-up on my turn. Flash hit the ground running and couldn't be stopped. Lower tier's can win but the line-up has to be kind. It can happen but not a common occurrence.

My only problem with JSA crossover is that there are fewer Super Villains, if someone gets a good start (Wildcat), there really isn't enough time to catch them. Increase the SV count to 12 or 13 with a base set's SVs and I would have no complaints.

Arrow, Legion, Birds of Prey, Multiverse, Rivals, Confrontations are all still sitting in their boxes untouched lol
I really want to play Birds and Multiverse.

I can't really comment on Crisis expansions without them in front of me

Watchmen really does have some powerful cards and the 1 that just doesn't work in a standard game. If you want to use it, I suggest removing Disintegration and adding JSA or a Crisis expansion.
My friends enjoyed Watchmen and JSA together.

Rouges can burn. Teamwork is evil lol

Heroes Unite is a more balanced Base set 1

Forever Evil seems slower but I think that's because of the amount of cards destroyed. Hard to get going when your best cards keep getting wiped lol. 2nd favorite base
Teen Titans is my groups favorite, my personal fav as well. Seems to have the right amount of everything. Just pray that Superboy doesn't get Molecular Vibration early, GG

What my friends and I will often do is pull out all the Superheroes from the Crossover/Expansion, the promos and Base set 1&2 (we rarely play 1&2)
We decide what "tier" of characters we're going to play (top, mid, bottom) and randomly select from that tier
Now if we're playing with an Expansion/Crossover that has a specific mechanic, we'll just use the proper Superheroes.
Legion, Rouges, Arrow, Birds of Prey would get their proper Superheroes
Crisis Mode gets Crisis Superheroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Navarone wrote:
What my friends and I will often do is pull out all the Superheroes from the Crossover/Expansion, the promos and Base set 1&2 (we rarely play 1&2)
We decide what "tier" of characters we're going to play (top, mid, bottom) and randomly select from that tier
Now if we're playing with an Expansion/Crossover that has a specific mechanic, we'll just use the proper Superheroes.
Legion, Rouges, Arrow, Birds of Prey would get their proper Superheroes
Crisis Mode gets Crisis Superheroes.
Fantastic way of getting a fairer competitive game!

Any such list of Superhero tiers?
Ideally, official... or at least validated by large no.s of games... or at least well-reasoned!
Regards, Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalman wrote:
Ideally, official... or at least validated by large no.s of games... or at least well-reasoned!
Regards, Sal

This one seems close enough to me (5 tiers):
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26672680#26672680
I have a few quibbles with it, but none that would change anyone more than a single tier (also note that Golden Glider drops a quite a bit against X5-Rogues Superheroes, as the first one slows her down for a while).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
Zalman wrote:
Regards, Sal

This one seems close enough to me (5 tiers):
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26672680#26672680
I have a few quibbles with it, but none that would change anyone more than a single tier (also note that Golden Glider drops a quite a bit against X5-Rogues Superheroes, as the first one slows her down for a while).
Thanks grarrrg!

Er... so I've asked this q before, in a thread of my own making...
And received this (exceelent and detailed) answer before...

Man, I'm either losing my memory, or I'm caught in a timeloop (call me Roland Deschain, thankee)... or I need to stop buying new games and get to know the ones I already have!
Thanks anyway!

Although I'm not sure Flash is as good as Superman/batman/cyborg in baseset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalman wrote:
Although I'm not sure Flash is as good as Superman/batman/cyborg in baseset.

Well, the disclaimer in that thread did mention "customized main deck lists" and "the placement of SHs on this list really depends on what set you are using.".
So...yeah. This is much more noticeable with some of the Crossover characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wise
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've found Crisis Atrocitus to be awful in Multiverse mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.