Race for the Galaxy» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Seven Plays, Six Different Victories rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Treebearded
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - ok, despite being a decade behind the hype here, I have just unboxed my first ever copy of Race for the Galaxy, and I can already tell it was a great investment.

My wife and I love playing games together, but there is a dearth of good 2-player games out there. (We've been able to enjoy Dominion and now RftG in its 2-player variants). After just seven plays, even though I've gotten the better of her in all of them, we are both hooked. Why?

First, the game plays in 15-20 minutes with almost no downtime for either of us. Secondly, the ways I've won:

Game 1: Zerg Rush (12 cheap cards in tableau)
Game 2: Produce/Consume engine with Tourist World
Game 3: Produce/Consume engine with Tourist World AGAIN (which we've since taken out of the deck)
Game 4: Huge points with Alien Worlds
Game 5: 10 development cards in 12-card tableau, including four 6-cost ones (and New Galactic Order)
Game 6: Military takeover with a +11 military strength, making settling large, point-filled planets easy.
Game 7: Blue planets only with special consume/draw powers that focus on blue that built on each other.

It's really incredible, the different paths to victory that are possible in this game. Furthermore, I started off, in games 1-2, winning something like 24-18. In Game 7 last night, I won 50-39. I assume this is part of the natural learning curve of the game, especially getting to 24 WITH Tourist World and 50 WITHOUT it.

I think she'll have to win a few before she is as hooked as I am, but with the range of possibilities here, I don't see that being a problem.

I buy the hype - my only hope is that the paths don't level out and cause me to feel that it's becoming repetitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't take out tourist world.

Scores can vary quite a bit. Having more than your opponent is what matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern Conciergerie Easylife
France
Crolles
France
flag msg tools
Solo soul
badge
Always look on the... *sigh* ... bright side of life !
mbmbmbmbmb
gmhakim wrote:
My wife and I love playing games together, but there is a dearth of good 2-player games out there. (We've been able to enjoy Dominion and now RftG in its 2-player variants)

Which games have you played to be so let down by two-player games ? wow There are extraordinary good games for two : Akrotiri, Valley of the Kings: Last Rites, 7 Wonders Duel, Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game, Neuroshima Hex! 3.0... Just to name a few laugh And those are "small" games ; heavier ones could include Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition), Elder Sign, Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game...

But you're right, RftG is a spectacular game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I mean race is my second favorite euro but I own like 200 other good 2p games take a look!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Killian
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed on not taking out Tourist World -- it's a powerful card in the right combination but hardly a game-breaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm impressed you've got the game down to 15-20 minutes after 7 plays! You clearly learn games more quickly than me. I knew all the rules at that point but still didn't really know how to win!

CmdrOverbite wrote:
Agreed on not taking out Tourist World -- it's a powerful card in the right combination but hardly a game-breaker.

Indeed. It's not over powered. 2 wins in 7 with a Produce/Consume engine with Tourist World seems high. There are plenty of other ways to build strong Produce/Consume engine without Tourist World (e.g. your game 7).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kral
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CmdrOverbite wrote:

Save Floston Paradise!!! mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treebearded
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
I'm impressed you've got the game down to 15-20 minutes after 7 plays! You clearly learn games more quickly than me. I knew all the rules at that point but still didn't really know how to win!

CmdrOverbite wrote:

Indeed. It's not over powered. 2 wins in 7 with a Produce/Consume engine with Tourist World seems high. There are plenty of other ways to build strong Produce/Consume engine without Tourist World (e.g. your game 7).

I appreciate your congratulations! Not all games are that short, though, but they can be. It helps that I am a long-time player of Puerto Rico, which is also my favorite game. I think that gave me an early edge. I've also played San Juan before.

Thanks everyone for the feedback - although, can you prove it to me? I'm not being combative. I'm just speaking from my (limited) experience that Tourist World nets 6 VP/turn once it's out if you do ConsumeX2 and Produce each time. With only 24 VP in a 2-player game, it's over in a flash. I've won with about four cards in my tableau just doing that each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treebearded
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eawyne wrote:
gmhakim wrote:
My wife and I love playing games together, but there is a dearth of good 2-player games out there. (We've been able to enjoy Dominion and now RftG in its 2-player variants)

Which games have you played to be so let down by two-player games ? wow There are extraordinary good games for two : Akrotiri, Valley of the Kings: Last Rites, 7 Wonders Duel, Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game, Neuroshima Hex! 3.0... Just to name a few laugh And those are "small" games ; heavier ones could include Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition), Elder Sign, Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game...

Lots of good suggestions here. Thank you! There is a thread on BGG that talks about 2P games, which I've read.

We enjoy Jaipur, Asante, Lost Cities (the card game), 7 Wonders Duel (one of the best), Pandemic, Sushi Go!, Bohnanza, Hanabi, Dominion (IMO much better as a 2p game anyway), and a 2p variant of Puerto Rico.

So, ok, not as few games as I suggested, but I always appreciate having more to draw from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6vp per turn is a good number to aim for when starting to crank a vp engine. Those games will be fast. (all games will be pretty fast though)

Tourist world is an expensive card but certainly one way to start assembling the engine. It doesn't produce any goods though so you meed other cards with it which takes more time and cards.

Keldon's AI can still beat the blue start world and forst turn alien toyshop. Tourist world isn't a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern Conciergerie Easylife
France
Crolles
France
flag msg tools
Solo soul
badge
Always look on the... *sigh* ... bright side of life !
mbmbmbmbmb
gmhakim wrote:
Eawyne wrote:
gmhakim wrote:

Lots of good suggestions here. Thank you! There is a thread on BGG that talks about 2P games, which I've read.

We enjoy Jaipur, Asante, Lost Cities (the card game), 7 Wonders Duel (one of the best), Pandemic, Sushi Go!, Bohnanza, Hanabi, Dominion (IMO much better as a 2p game anyway), and a 2p variant of Puerto Rico.

So, ok, not as few games as I suggested, but I always appreciate having more to draw from.

I see laugh Good games also ; what it that thread you mention ? I'd be curious to have a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treebearded
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eawyne wrote:
I see laugh Good games also ; what it that thread you mention ? I'd be curious to have a look.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1562147/best-two-player-gam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gmhakim wrote:
Thanks everyone for the feedback - although, can you prove it to me? I'm not being combative. I'm just speaking from my (limited) experience that Tourist World nets 6 VP/turn once it's out if you do ConsumeX2 and Produce each time. With only 24 VP in a 2-player game, it's over in a flash. I've won with about four cards in my tableau just doing that each time.
Yes, Tourist World is fairly strong, though interestingly this thread suggests that weaker players play it more often than stronger players. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't strong, it could be that it's strong but weaker players overestimate how strong it is.

As you say once it's out it gives 6 VP/turn and sometimes it is possible to get it down early and start produce/consume before your opponent has a chance to react (e.g. start with Alpha Centauri, Settle Artist Colony or Secluded World + Trade, Settle Tourist World, Produce, 3rd turn you start consuming for 6).

However you need all the parts so it's unusual to have it down by the end of round 2. The longer it takes to setup the longer your opponent has to get going too. A Tourist World strategy doesn't give you any card flow either so you will just be getting 6VP per round. Often that will be enough if you start early but not always. There are other fairly strong quick consume engines too, and other combos that can sometimes lead to one sided games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gmhakim wrote:
I buy the hype - my only hope is that the paths don't level out and cause me to feel that it's becoming repetitive.

There's 5 expansions (with various optional modules) + the promo start worlds (which should be available from the BGG store soon) + 3 custom expansions on http://racepics.weihwa.com, plus you can make you own using the blank cards from the first expansion, By the time you've played all that I expect there will be another expansion out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Take this with a grain of salt because I don't think I'll ever be a top-tier player in this game, even though I love it. I've played against the Keldon AI a lot (now play on the app and have the expansions in addition to all physical cards). IMO there are clearly some cards that are better than others... that is, some cards are more situational than others perhaps. But probably no card needs to be removed. Some games are blow-outs and some end in tie-breakers. It's a card game that plays fast, there are so many viable ways to win... Last session I discarded Tourist World. I might have even won that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treebearded
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
gmhakim wrote:
Yes, Tourist World is fairly strong, though interestingly this thread suggests that weaker players play it more often than stronger players. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't strong, it could be that it's strong but weaker players overestimate how strong it is.

Your case in point - I used Galactic Trendsetters (arguably even better than Tourist World) in a recent game, and despite having a good produce/consume engine, I lost that game. We have now put both that and Tourist World back in the deck.

What won last time we played? I build a 12-card tableau using at least 9 developments in about 7 minutes that just crushed it. Public Works, Investment Credits, Research Labs, and that 6-cost one that gives you -2 to place developments. I was pumping out developments for basically free, and ended up with three 6-cost developments for 2 cards each, but really 1 card when you consider I'd draw using Public Works. (Side note: that is a really interesting thread you linked to.)

This seems too good to be true. Maybe a NEW strategy will present itself in the upcoming sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gmhakim wrote:
zabdiel wrote:
gmhakim wrote:

Your case in point - I used Galactic Trendsetters (arguably even better than Tourist World) in a recent game, and despite having a good produce/consume engine, I lost that game. We have now put both that and Tourist World back in the deck.

What won last time we played? I build a 12-card tableau using at least 9 developments in about 7 minutes that just crushed it. Public Works, Investment Credits, Research Labs, and that 6-cost one that gives you -2 to place developments. I was pumping out developments for basically free, and ended up with three 6-cost developments for 2 cards each, but really 1 card when you consider I'd draw using Public Works. (Side note: that is a really interesting thread you linked to.)

This seems too good to be true. Maybe a NEW strategy will present itself in the upcoming sessions.

It is basically one of two strategies in the base game (in two player.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls