Race for the Galaxy» Forums » General

Subject: card you're happiest to see in opening hand-first arc rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gareth Roberts
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just a thread to give some cards deserved love!

Clearly start world combo matters in the full analysis but if you dont want to drop the full analysis don't worry about it!

for me?

Trading Outpost

i love this thing. its cheap as chips at 1, makes any trade at least as good as a genetics trade (after the first) and if you get green down (which is fairly simple) you trade for 6! also combine your hand explore can be a very useful tool for escaping any future bad draws.

Finally this thing speeds you towards the explore and first to discard objectives.

For me the plus 2 trade for 1 makes this an auto buy, everything on top is just a bonus.

i like to combo it with star raider nomads for huge card advantage once a produce or windfall comes down. Alternatively abandoned mine squatters for a solid turn 1 draw machine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Investment Credits. It's not exciting but it's almost always useful. The other two develop enablers are good to but not quite so flexible, Public Works' consume power can be a hindrance and it's less costly to leach than Interstellar Bank.

1-2 cost production worlds are always good to see, as are Alien Toy Shop & Galactic Developers (more because then my opponents don't have them).

A 1-2 defence military windfall as long as my red start world isn't Damaged Alien Factory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien toyshop or galactic federation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Investment Credits.

That was my first thought too...

Cheers,
Graham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Grankin
Ukraine
Mariupol
flag msg tools
Cheap windfall is the most important thing. Otherwise,

A lot is circumstantial, as with most things in Race. I may be ecstatic over Genetic Labs if I'm offered the choice of Ancient Race or wet my pants because of shitty 1-blue Rebel world if I'm playing Rebel Freedom Fighters. I don't care much about 6devs in starting hand (they usually just take place of much more needed windfall or cheap development :)), but I'll be happy about Uplift Code if I start with uplift start world or about Peace Institute if I'm starting with production world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- - - - - -
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No matter what arc you are playing: Investment Credits.
And also Galactic Federation, which is one of the most powerful cards - if you get it early it's almost broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I seem to have an unhealthy obsession with windfall worlds, so Terraforming Guild is probably my favorite 6-point dev to play with. If I see it early, I will have a great tendency to simply build around it. Part of me wishes there was some sort of other windfall-scoring card in the other arcs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- - - - - -
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
midnight87 wrote:
Part of me wishes there was some sort of other windfall-scoring card in the other arcs.

That's what the blank cards from the first expansion are for. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.