Raiders of the North Sea: Fields of Fame» Forums » Rules

Subject: Crew size and subdueing Jarls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Beni Mic
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi folks,
I have a question concerning the management of the crew when subdueing Jarls. I guess it's best to show it with an example:
let's say I have max crew members and want to subdue a Jarl. How does this work?
Do I have to discard a crew member BEFORE placing wound tokens? Or am I allowed to place wound tokens first and THEN discard any crew member (specifically the one I placed the wound tokens on)?
Appreciate you help!

Greetings
Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ben. The crew restriction is enforced at the end of your turn. So subduing Jarl could make them your 6th crew. If you didn't take any Valkyrie, you would have to discard 1 crew member at the end of your turn. And yes, this crew member could have taken wounds to subdue the Jarl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shem, thanks for clarifying that jarls have give a grace period to crew size. I'd been focusing on the bolded rule in the base game that players can never hire more than 5 characters, and I guess you aren't really Hiring the jarls, but the FoF rules say after subduing they are treated as hired crew. All the rules are written correctly, so just thanks again for confirmation.

Hard limit(incorrect): full crew -> subdue jarl (wounds on 2 weaklings) -> replace weakling -> valkyrie second weakling -> 4 strong crew members.

Soft limit(correct): full crew -> subdue jarls (wounds on 2 weaklings) -> valkyrie one weakling -> full crew (at least one weakling).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Fink
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh that i can swap a crew member with the jarl when youre crew is at max makes it lot more attractive to subdue the jarl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The crew restriction is only enforced at the end of your turn (after Jarls and Valkyries).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shem84 wrote:
The crew restriction is only enforced at the end of your turn (after Jarls and Valkyries).

Just to confirm, is this only when subduing Jarls? As Jordan mentioned, in the base game rules, it says that when you go to the Barracks you can never hire more than five characters...and you must discard down before hiring your 5th crew member. I assume this is still correct and the the situation where you can be at six crew members (before discarding down at the end of your turn) is only when you subdue a Jarl.

Or can you potentially be at six members for a short time too, in the base game (if you go to the Barracks), as long as you discard down to six crew member by the end of your turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is true. The rules at the Barracks are that you must discard one crew member before hiring a new one, if you already have five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...thanks for the quick response and clarification! We had a situation come up tonight with the 6th crew member and the Barracks (looks like I may have slightly cheated ), so just wanted to clarify.

Thanks again Shem, we just love the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In most cases it shouldn't matter. Unless you hired your 6th, then did something like activate your Forager at the Mill, only to discard her at the end of your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, it was the situation where the crew member gave me a discount on hiring from the Barracks...so I hired my sixth crew member (at a discount), then got rid of the crew member that gave me the discount. So I shouldn't have gotten that benefit (I still would have had enough to pay full price, so no harm, no foul)...but after the game I went through the base game rules and saw the line about making room before hiring your 5th member, and thought I should verify.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin G
United States
Weehawken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the rule that lets you discard when capturing a Jarl I only see it when making a Barracks action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page six under the illustration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I was away from my computer earlier, so couldn't quote the text. Here it is:

"Players are limited to having no more than 5 Crew Members (including Jarls) at the end of their turn (after resolving Valkyrie)."

The key part is "at the end of their turn". So if you end your turn with more than 5 crew (including any Jarls), you have to discard down to 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin G
United States
Weehawken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, but where in the rules does it say you can discard crew members you don't want at any time?

The rule you quoted could just be for resolving Valkyrie etc. The only reference to discarding is in the rules for the Barracks, but I don't see a general rule that players are allowed to discard crew members at any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgunnz wrote:
Right, but where in the rules does it say you can discard crew members you don't want at any time?

The rule you quoted could just be for resolving Valkyrie etc. The only reference to discarding is in the rules for the Barracks, but I don't see a general rule that players are allowed to discard crew members at any time.

No one said you could discard at any time. If you've captured a Jarl, and at the end of your turn you have more than five crew members...you need to discard down to five.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What benefit is there to discarding, unless you have too many?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin G
United States
Weehawken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But where does this rule come from. It does not say in the rule book that you can discard unwanted crew members from your crew when capturing a jarl. It says you can evaluate valkyre but I don't see anything that allows for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it's not as clear is it could be in the rulebooks, but the base game mentions that if you have more than 5 crew, you can simply discard a crew card. the Fields of Fame rulebook adds to this, by saying that the restriction of 5 crew members is only enforced at the end of each turn.

That is the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.