Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Malczak
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we finally got the game on the table last night and did two 3-player games. Overall impression: very good!

As with most people, a good number of my cards are nicked up (indentations in the back side which both look bad and sort of 'mark' the cards). It's not the end of the world, but since I'm not a chronic 'sleever' it's fairly noticeable. One of the banners was also broken in the bag when we opened it. Again, not the end of the world, but annoying.

Gameplay was solid and the game moved fairly quickly. Board presence is EXTREMELY important. In our first game, two players concentrated early turns on buildings and a few promotions and the third player who started with early conquest was a runaway leader.

Due to the random drawing of cards, it seemed that all players had a pretty good smattering of the factions so the build restrictions rarely if ever came into play (ie, the need to have the appropriate faction in a build action). One player was Culling pretty heavily and even he rarely had to worry about that restriction (and in any case there are enough cards that allow you to ignore it that it wasn't really a constraint).

Combat was interesting and the slowly degrading regions was pretty cool. Promotions were a bit cumbersome once someone had the -1 discount (we had one player promote 5 cards in one turn - all 1 and 2 costs reduced to 1 by the building so each card in his hand was able to promote a card in the discard pile). Hunting for all of the upgraded cards and returning all of the promoted cards was actually the slowest part of the game lol.

We also had a few questions:

1) When something adds a shield (like the City Captain Ally), is that just +1 defense strength or is it granting another card in your hand the Shield Icon ability (like the level 3 building)? We played it both ways and the latter made it extremely powerful. We settled on the former.

2) For the Butcher of the North, does his ability prevent ALL Sword icons from adding strength to the defender or just a die face with the single icon? Again, we played it both ways and the former seemed ridiculous (ie, you can't really defend your provinces anymore...).

3) Promoted cards go into the discard pile, so in theory, you could promote the same card twice in the same round if you have the required hammers/swords, correct?

Anyways, great game. Glad I backed it. We are looking forward to playing again soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nikolaos Kamoudis
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well for the run away leader player,
(cruel play) if he keep taking castles and atacks other players castles solution is attack his castles.
(mercy play) if he keep taking castles and camping and upgrade/promoting solution is do the same or attack his castles...

cruel lose to mecry if the cruel player dont attack the mercy player
and
mercy lose to cruel if the mercy player dont attack bacl the cruel player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Malczak
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The runaway player was hovering around 3-4 cruelty for most of the game. He made no real effort to go either direction. One of the other player was max cruelty, the other max merciful.

But as I said, the other players weren't really contesting for the map. It was our first game and they were exploring the building but realized too later the buildings support a map strategy but can't replace it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
1) If it's worded similarly to the Sigilborne building, then it grants another card in your hand a shield, so you can use it to defend.

2) I don't recall the exact wording, but I would think the latter is true. Allies are powerful but not bonkers.

3) Yes, at least how we've been playing it.

As for runaway leader, board control only really matters in the third scoring, as long as you get some in the second. So a build/promote strategy can catch up to a conquer one since they've gotten many extra swords/abilities, whereas the conquer player is probably using all their actions to actually conquer. It just happened to me the other day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Malczak
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah for #1, it's word a bit differently, but no where do I see it defined as what +1 "Shield" actually means.

For #2, it's definitely bonkers if he ignores ALL swords rolled lol.

And I don't think the game has a runaway leader problem (at all), but just in our first game, the player who concentrated on map presence came out WAY ahead of the other two who didn't make us much of a play for it until too late in the game. Our second game was much close with all scores within 10-15 points of each other at the end. But everyone was fighting for map control for most of the game (with varying degrees of promoting and buildings in support).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talenn wrote:
Yeah for #1, it's word a bit differently, but no where do I see it defined as what +1 "Shield" actually means.

We wondered about this too since the usage of the shield like this was not clarified anywhere in the rules, but since it IS worded differently than the building, we just took it to mean all defenses of the territories were considered to be at +1 over their 'blocks.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wodan wodan
msg tools
Talenn wrote:
The runaway player was hovering around 3-4 cruelty for most of the game. He made no real effort to go either direction. One of the other player was max cruelty, the other max merciful.

But as I said, the other players weren't really contesting for the map. It was our first game and they were exploring the building but realized too later the buildings support a map strategy but can't replace it.

What was the VP score? Because my impression is you can score as much as 180 VP with minimal board presence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Malczak
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
90ish and 100ish for the two non-map players. About 140s for the map player.

Like I said, first game for all involved so I'm sure strategies and whatnot were....sub-optimal lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Talenn wrote:
So we finally got the game on the table last night and did two 3-player games. Overall impression: very good!

As with most people, a good number of my cards are nicked up (indentations in the back side which both look bad and sort of 'mark' the cards). It's not the end of the world, but since I'm not a chronic 'sleever' it's fairly noticeable. One of the banners was also broken in the bag when we opened it. Again, not the end of the world, but annoying.

Gameplay was solid and the game moved fairly quickly. Board presence is EXTREMELY important. In our first game, two players concentrated early turns on buildings and a few promotions and the third player who started with early conquest was a runaway leader.

Due to the random drawing of cards, it seemed that all players had a pretty good smattering of the factions so the build restrictions rarely if ever came into play (ie, the need to have the appropriate faction in a build action). One player was Culling pretty heavily and even he rarely had to worry about that restriction (and in any case there are enough cards that allow you to ignore it that it wasn't really a constraint).

Combat was interesting and the slowly degrading regions was pretty cool. Promotions were a bit cumbersome once someone had the -1 discount (we had one player promote 5 cards in one turn - all 1 and 2 costs reduced to 1 by the building so each card in his hand was able to promote a card in the discard pile). Hunting for all of the upgraded cards and returning all of the promoted cards was actually the slowest part of the game lol.

We also had a few questions:

1) When something adds a shield (like the City Captain Ally), is that just +1 defense strength or is it granting another card in your hand the Shield Icon ability (like the level 3 building)? We played it both ways and the latter made it extremely powerful. We settled on the former.

2) For the Butcher of the North, does his ability prevent ALL Sword icons from adding strength to the defender or just a die face with the single icon? Again, we played it both ways and the former seemed ridiculous (ie, you can't really defend your provinces anymore...).

3) Promoted cards go into the discard pile, so in theory, you could promote the same card twice in the same round if you have the required hammers/swords, correct?

Anyways, great game. Glad I backed it. We are looking forward to playing again soon!

Any time one person gets to control the board unanswered, they are going to win. It is an area control game, you must fight for areas if you want to win.

1. You get +1 Str when defending. You do not get to add a shield to a card in your hand.

2. You prevent the one die side that has a single sword on it.

3. Yes.

I'm glad you are enjoying it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherlock Holmes
msg tools
mb
I won a game today as merciful. I only ever conquered my village (1 province), but I went heavy promotion and heavy build (maxed out commonfolk, sigilborne, & general structures).

The other player also went merciful (2-player game), he conquered 5 provinces, and had 1 realm under his control. However, his promotion influence and structures were both low. I think if the other player had conquered a bit less, and maxed out at least 1 faction for structures for the bonus points, the game would have been much closer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Perkins
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayano wrote:
I won a game today as merciful. I only ever conquered my village (1 province), but I went heavy promotion and heavy build (maxed out commonfolk, sigilborne, & general structures).

The other player also went merciful (2-player game), he conquered 5 provinces, and had 1 realm under his control. However, his promotion influence and structures were both low. I think if the other player had conquered a bit less, and maxed out at least 1 faction for structures for the bonus points, the game would have been much closer.

I had a similar game this past weekend. I went merciful and heavy on promotion and building. I did manage to have 4 provinces at one point, but my opponent took one from me toward the end, so I had 3 provinces/1 realm at the end of the game and maxed out the same structures you did.

He went cruel, however, but like your opponent, he conquered about 5 provinces/1 realm and didn't have any Level 4 buildings. He probably should've at least maxed out Zurd and maybe gotten Level 3 Commonfolk.

Early that day, I tried going Cruel and lost by a large margin. I think I want to try Cruel again, but be more patient and build up to where I can conquer more effectively. I was having horrible luck with the dice and hadn't built anything to mitigate the rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcello
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
Talenn wrote:
As with most people, a good number of my cards are nicked up (indentations in the back side which both look bad and sort of 'mark' the cards). It's not the end of the world, but since I'm not a chronic 'sleever' it's fairly noticeable.

Thankfully I don't have this problem, but the quality of the cards is abysmal.
Corners are flaking after one play.
I had to buy Dragonshield sleeves and sleeve them all.
First game that I sleeve, there's no other option if you don't want to ruin your cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.