Magic Realm» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone here looked at Gloomhaven? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I'm playing Magic Realm for several years now and I really enjoy it (but like we all learned about the Realm I still have much to learn ). Recently I've discovered about Gloomhaven. I've read many good reviews about this game, and the only 2 "issues" that keep coming up are length and complexity. Two things I'm sure won't bother MR Players .

One of the things I like about MR is the sense of choice I have. Every game I feel like an adventurer and every game I feel like I can choose what to do now, and I can tell a whole story from each game. And I can really remember each action I take in my games, as if it was part of a book or something.

So anyway, if someone has played this game (Gloomhaven), can he say if it gives him a similar feel? Mechanically they seem very different, but I'm talking about the feel you get from the game? Because from what people are saying about it, it sounds like a potential competitor for MR, something I have yet to seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Gloomhaven once, and it felt like it is telling a story - but the story is already written and all you can affect is what order things happen and details within the chapters.

Gloomhaven is also a tactical combat game with interludes between combats. In that regard, Gloomhaven and Kingdom Death: Monster are similar in concept, although different in execution.

There is still nothing quite like Magic Realm in what it does in creating a fantasy world with many inhabitants with their own goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve played tons of Gloomhaven, and a decent amount of MR, and I have to say, other than the fantasy/adventure/rpg genre, they are not too alike. GH is much more story driven, scenario driven, with tactical grid based combat. You have choices, but not like MR, In GH they are choices in the story.

They are both amazing games, being my #1 & #3 (Mage Knight in between). Mechanically, GH is more like MK than MR. I do not get the feeling of a sweeping, open world, grand adventure, and story telling in GH like I do in MR.

And no, nothing comes close to doing what MR does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, well that's a shame. I really had high hopes for this game in that regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want something that has links to Magic Realm, check out Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game. Its rules are partially inspired by MR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Urhixidur wrote:
If you want something that has links to Magic Realm, check out Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game. Its rules are partially inspired by MR.

Although it is significantly lighter than Magic Realm. Most games are less heavy than MR, but GoK is a fair distance below. Like 2.25 - 2.5 or so.

It's not brainless, certainly, but it doesn't approach the same depth.

They both create an emergent narrative for many people though. I enjoy GoK, but it doesn't transport me like Magic Realm does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.