Hide
6 Posts

King of Tokyo» Forums » General

Subject: 2nd Edition KoT and 2017 Halloween Expac rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Rivera
msg tools
I received the 2nd edition King of Tokyo and the 2017 edition of the Halloween expac for Christmas. My question is are the backs of the 2017 edition costume cards supposed to be orange? The rules are to mix them in with the power deck from 2nd edition, which have green backings.
If so, its just an odd design decision.
I guess I can sleeve them with opaque backings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed Z
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that they have a different color back on them doesn't really affect the game play. You'll know when they come to the top of the deck, but that's it. It doesn't even matter who gets them first, since they can be stolen pretty easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Rivera
msg tools
Thanks Zed. Just wanted to make sure they were suppose to be different colored backings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Angevine
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizzhare wrote:
Thanks Zed. Just wanted to make sure they were suppose to be different colored backings.

That's pretty dumb - why?!? Should have just kept the original Halloween printing if they were changing backs anyways. I don't understand some of iellos moves

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danimal13 wrote:
That's pretty dumb - why?!? Should have just kept the original Halloween printing if they were changing backs anyways. I don't understand some of iellos moves

Well, it's a way to make 2nd Halloween backwards compatible with those who own 1st base game.
And it doesn't affect actual play all that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothée Simonot
France
flag msg tools
publisher
There's two main reasons for having a different back for Costume cards:
_It makes it easier to remove them from the deck at the begining of the game, either to distribute a random Costume to every player (optional rule) or to play a regular game of King of Tokyo without this expansion (if you play with new player for example).
_It makes it compatible with both old and new version of King of Tokyo (in both case, Halloween cardback will be different from the base game cardback).

Overall it doesn't affect the gameplay to know that the next card will be a Costume, so we don't see any real drawback to this choice.
If you prefer to have the same back for all cards, then sleeving them is certainly the best solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.