Subject: Engineer with Investigations Explosive Charge - Only three tokens? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(I think I'm missing an Explosives token; I'm going to perform a thorough pillaging of my gaming area and the box to make sure, but...)

Since Explosives were on my mind today, it occurred to me that with the Engineer and the Investigations Expansion "Explosive Charge" Item in play, you have the potential for four Acme-sized blast-holes in one game. Are there only three Explosive Tokens available, or am I missing yet another token? soblue

(Not the same as the Rope Tokens, as there should be only 6 potential locations on which to use 6 Rope Tokens. Explosives have several dozen potential locations.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only three explosive tokens in the base game. I can’t remember if any are provided in any of the expansions, but I don’t think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Harzer
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
"That German Bloke"
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
There are only three explosive tokens in the base game. I can’t remember if any are provided in any of the expansions, but I don’t think so.

There aren't explosives in the base game, JGT is talking about the expansion where you try to seal the cave by setting of three (yes, JGT, I think it is only three!) charges which are revealed over time and which you then need to booby trap and still make your way out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are absolutely explosives in the base game. I didn’t have the expansions for a while, so I know they exist in the base game. I forget the name of the role that uses them, but check again - they’re there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only that, but the Investigations expansion is not the one where you have to set explosives in the cave - which are a different kind than in the base game, admittedly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
There are absolutely explosives in the base game. I didn’t have the expansions for a while, so I know they exist in the base game. I forget the name of the role that uses them, but check again - they’re there.

The Engineer can use explosives.

As for the Investigation expansion, I don't have it, but looking at the rule book, JGT is talking about an Item card called Explosive Charge which lets you place an explosive token and then resolve a cave-in event.

It does list '3 item tokens' in the components, but those are for marking unused item tiles. There doesn't appear to be any additional explosive tokens, so 3 from the base game should be it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose I should be more clear, but Justin answered my question.

The Engineer has the ability to "remove" any "wall" on her tile three times per game. Like the Rope Tokens laid on a ledge/slide, there are three Explosive Tokens to lay on "walls" to show the hole blown through. (I'm not talking about the Bomb Tokens from Annihilation.)

The Investigations Expansion introduces Item cards, which are mostly Caver Abilities in card form. The Explosive Charge Item is a copy of the Engineer's ability. If you are playing with the Engineer AND this Item, that is FOUR Explosives, but only THREE Tokens.

Unlike the Grappling Hook Item, six Ropes can only be used on six tiles, regardless of what put them there. But Explosive Tokens can go almost anywhere, and there's no reason you couldn't have four blown walls in one game.

So I'm only missing one Explosive Charge Token, as it seems it was an oversight to not include one extra Token in the Investigations Expansion. Thanks for the assistance, all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.