5 Posts

Agricola: Farmers of the Moor» Forums » Rules

Subject: Parquet Setter-Special Actions (Farmers of the Moor) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bill surley
msg tools
When using this occupation, which reads,

"At the start of each Work phase in which you reduced the number of your unused farmyard spaces, you receive 1 Wood. If you reduced it by 2 or more spaces, you also receive 1 Food."

When you use a special action, fell trees, cut peat, and slash and burn (have to clear the forest before planting), thus increasing the number of unused spaces from the start of the turn, then you subsequently reduce this space or spaces (back to original number at start of turn), do you get the wood and/or food?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Svien
Japan
flag msg tools
That’s an excellent question, and I’m fairly certain there’s no official answer, as Parquet Setter is part of the France deck, which wasn’t designed with Farmers of the Moor rules in mind.

You could argue either way:

No: because the total number of spaces between the start of the last work phase and this one did not change.

Yes: because you did reduce the number of spaces at some point during the last round.

I’d argue yes, because Agricola has no memory and no stipulation that it has to be counted from the start of one work phase to another. Since you did reduce the number of unused spaces at some point in the last round (despite increasing that number prior to doing so), you get the bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
And, just to be contrary, I would vote "no," and for the same reason. Having no "memory," Agricola would not recognize that you temporarily increased and then reduced your unused spaces; it would only "know" that your number of unused spaces was unchanged from the prior Round.

Sounds like time for a house rule for the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Svien
Japan
flag msg tools
I was going to say:

I guess why I still feel that it's yes is an exact reading of the card itself: "...in which you reduced the number of your unused farmyard spaces..." The card doesn't seem to care about if you increased them at any time, just if you somehow decreased them. And since you did, you get the bonus. The trigger "at the start of the work phase" is just the timing of the bonus, but there's nothing by what the card says that means you have to go back to the start of the previous work phase to compare farmyard spaces.

But I've just checked the France Deck Compendium (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PzINV2eu05I2ypPB_vQVbdth...), and it agrees with Geoff and not me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a stopped clock! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.