Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Price
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am playing solo and using 2 automas then as I understand it I would use the 3 player place on the progress and the reputation track since the automas are treated as active players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leegin wrote:
If I am playing solo and using 2 automas then as I understand it I would use the 3 player place on the progress and the reputation track since the automas are treated as active players.

Correct. Automa charters count as active charters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
Brentwood (not the OJ one)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I'd add to this thread, since it's title is general to using Automas.

1. What is the point of placing an Automa worker on a charter plot? They don't gain any benefits from the plot according to the rules. They only gain things on the Automa cards.

2. My first Automa turn pulled the Zeppelin card - construct a building. Since it's the first turn of the first game, there are no buildings to construct in the achievement mat, so nothing happens.

However - if I WERE to construct a building, the rule says to take the lowest-numbered unconstructed building card from the advance mat and stick it on the selected plot. Does lowest-numbered mean the card with the lowest numbered crate? Or the card with the lowest purple VP number? If the latter, what if there is a tie for available cards with lowest VP?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. What is the point of placing an Automa worker on a charter plot? They don't gain any benefits from the plot according to the rules. They only gain things on the Automa cards.

Occupying spaces, bumping other workers, and retrival of workers (the automa doesn't get vp on a turn that it retrieves its workers). While the former doesn't have much effect atm, it will later for a number of reasons.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Later in the game both you and the automa will have minions - if it places a worker on yours you get their placement benefit. If you place on theirs, they get a vp. Also there is peril.

Finally, you can't overbuild a building if there is a peril token or worker on it - it has to be clear of all tokens.

Quote:
2. My first Automa turn pulled the Zeppelin card - construct a building. Since it's the first turn of the first game, there are no buildings to construct in the achievement mat, so nothing happens.

Not quite - the automa still gets the vp on the card, and places a worker on the zepplin.

Quote:
However - if I WERE to construct a building, the rule says to take the lowest-numbered unconstructed building card from the advance mat and stick it on the selected plot. Does lowest-numbered mean the card with the lowest numbered crate? Or the card with the lowest purple VP number? If the latter, what if there is a tie for available cards with lowest VP?

Lowest numbered refers to the vp number on the bottom of the card in the circle. If there is a tie, you choose I believe (I can't find a tie rule atm- I usually went with lowest numbered card number as a tie breaker).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you again, my friend. You are super helpful.

Yeah, I knew the Automa still gains VP from the card, and places their worker. I at least knew that part. :o)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Ward
United States
Newport News
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Lowest number" in this case actually refers to the card number in the bottom right corner of the card. Not a crate number (that may not be present) or a score number (which may have ties).

Same thing when the Automa visits the market, they discard the two highest number cards on the advancement mat, looking again at the card numbers in the bottom right corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kredal wrote:
"Lowest number" in this case actually refers to the card number in the bottom right corner of the card. Not a crate number (that may not be present) or a score number (which may have ties).

Same thing when the Automa visits the market, they discard the two highest number cards on the advancement mat, looking again at the card numbers in the bottom right corner.

That's spot on. Highest/lowered numbered card refer to the card number at the bottom right.

@Israel: Gotcha! That's the first time I've seen you be even a teeny bit off on the Charterstone rules .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What?!? Israel was incorrect? Inconceivable!

Thank you for the clarification. I think that sentence is vague and should be clarified in a FAQ. Lowest numbered card could be any number on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
kredal wrote:

That's spot on. Highest/lowered numbered card refer to the card number at the bottom right.

@Israel: Gotcha! That's the first time I've seen you be even a teeny bit off on the Charterstone rules .

Second time Happy to be corrected

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jglazier wrote:
What?!? Israel was incorrect? Inconceivable!

I'd go as far as saying that it's unpossible .

jglazier wrote:
Thank you for the clarification. I think that sentence is vague and should be clarified in a FAQ. Lowest numbered card could be any number on the card.

My reasons for thinking that the rule only has on meaningful interpretation are these:

1) When cards have identifying numbers 1, 2, 3, ... and are constantly referred to by that number, then I'd argue that the lowest numbered card is the card whose identifying number is lowest.

2) The same concept (lowest/highest numbered) is also used for other card related actions, which aren't limited to a specific type of card. E.g. How do you determine which of a building card, a constructed building card, and an assistant card is highest numbered if not by the card ID number? There are no other numbers to compare for them.

3) When choosing building cards, there's no other number that can be used to guarantee that there's one single card that's lowest numbered and so if the rule referred to anything else it wouldn't work, since no tiebreaker is provided as there is with any other Automa rule.

That said, if a lot of people tell me that a rule is confusing, then I'll of course listen and this thread indicates that some found it confusing, so I'll go ask Jamey to add it to the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mogust wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

Second time Happy to be corrected

Then you just caught me make a mistake .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.