Subject: Confession: Scenario 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Herr Nihl

Hawaii
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. I've played scenario one once by myself (Scoundrel, Spellweaver: lost), once with my son (Tinkerer, Spellweaver: he got the chest, but we lost), and again by myself (Spellweaver, Brute). Believe I am close to having the movement rules down (but let's be honest, based on the Quiz thread, who knows...), but on my last play-through I decked out on the final archer (drew the null card). I give up, am moving on to Scenario 2. I just thought you should know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity, what level are the monsters you are fighting? I did the math wrong on my first playthrough and got wrecked...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fenerty
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try adding a third character to your hand, you'll need it on #2 and it makes the game a little easier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I completely understand, but also know this: the game gets harder. Scenario 1 is, I believe, deliberately hard - the idea being to teach you to step back and think about how you could do things better. You’ll be much more equipped to win scenario 2 when you can finish off 1 with a few turns up your sleeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Scenario 1 & 2 (and probably whatever one you do next) should all be played on easy for most groups. You just don't have much firepower initially.

After those first 3 scenarios, you've got enough equipment that you'll be better able to handle things at the normal difficulty. At least, that was my experience. I got my butt kicked on those first few scenarios, but now 20 scenarios in I'm fairly easily beating the game at "hard" (+1) difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to find your groove. There are also a couple of synergies you'll learn about. Here are a few strategies:

The most common TPKiller is burning a Lost card too early. As a rule of thumb, DONT burn a Lost Card until after your first rest. ESPECIALLY for your Spellweaver.

Rest before opening a door.

(Brute and Spellweaver synergize pretty good together and you can definitely do a 2-character campaign)

The Brute's Trample + Boots + Axe is a tide-changer, everytime.

When the Brute is going fast, he should be dropping an element for your Spellweaver to use.

Good luck! We lost twice on the first, twice on the second, and a couple of times on other scenarios based on bad luck of the enemy deck draw
Spoiler (click to reveal)
stupid oozes

but other than that, our party has synergized so much that we've cranked up the difficulty two extra levels. For us now, learning how a new character fits in is the challenge we look forward to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kzinti wrote:

I'm guessing you're referring to the top action of Trample (att 3, pierce 2) in conjunction with the Axe? I don't believe the axe works with the bottom action, since it is not a "single target attack action".

Unless you're talking about trampling with the boots to jump around on a bunch of enemies, then using the axe in conjunction with a different attack after you land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T.
United Kingdom
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
JayJ79 wrote:
kzinti wrote:

I'm guessing you're referring to the top action of Trample (att 3, pierce 2) in conjunction with the Axe? I don't believe the axe works with the bottom action, since it is not a "single target attack action".

Unless you're talking about trampling with the boots to jump around on a bunch of enemies, then using the axe in conjunction with a different attack after you land.

He probably meant the hammer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Please be aware scenario 2 is considered much more difficult than scenario 1.
If you don't lower the difficulty or read some guides/practice some more, you will be in for an unpleasant experience.

There are several threads about common mistakes (rules and strategy ones). Maybe you can read some of those? Also, the class guides on Reddit are pretty good, imho.

My personal advice would be to play at the lowest difficulty, don't take loot cards with you and only play Lost cards with your Spellweaver. For now. Instead, only use straightforward cards. You don't need fancy combo's to beat this game. You'll develop your own synergies soon enough.

Edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kerrison
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kzinti wrote:
As a rule of thumb, DONT burn a Lost Card until after your first rest. ESPECIALLY for your Spellweaver.

I disagree about the Spellweaver. It is the one character with the most flexibility on losing cards early, due to reviving ether. For the Spellweaver you should be aiming to play Fire Orbs and Impaling Eruption as lost cards twice each by the end of the scenario. It's perfectly acceptable to use one of these before your first rest if an appropriate situation arises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I do mean the hammer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herr Nihl

Hawaii
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all, lots of good input and advice! I did play the last time on the easiest setting, have done lots of reading about strategies, know not to burn cards too early, lose cards to avoid damage, etc. Am also aware that first couple of scenarios are tough. Was just feeling guilty about moving on without actually completing the first scenario's goals and needed to get it off my chest. I won't take the bonus XP and will move on to #2, and maybe will revisit #1 later to tick that box.

edit: typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrNihl wrote:
Thanks all, lots of good input and advice! I did play the last time on the easiest setting, have done lots of reading about strategies, know not to burn cards too early, lose cards to avoid damage, etc. Am also aware that first couple of scenarios are tough. Was just feeling guilty about moving on without actually completing the first scenario's goals and needed to get it off my chest. I won't take the bonus XP and will move on to #2, and maybe will revisit #1 later to tick that box.

edit: typo

I'm starting to get the hang of things myself. While you can lose a card to ignore damage, remember that losing a card is really bad. I try not to lose a card to prevent damage unless either the attack will kill me, or an enemy got a really lucky high damage attack that they usually don't get. Especially if you are going to be attacked more than once on a round - save that card loss for the worst attack that round if you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Burns
United Kingdom
Hazlemere, High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kzinti wrote:

The most common TPKiller is burning a Lost card too early. As a rule of thumb, DONT burn a Lost Card until after your first rest. ESPECIALLY for your Spellweaver.

Disagree with this - especially for the Spellweaver! Getting a good amount of damage in on turn 1 can end up saving tons of heals later, I typically used fire orbs with power potion and eagle eye goggles on the first card play and it softened up the room massively in most cases (especially much later when I added immobilize to it!)

But I agree with the sentiment in general, be careful when you lose cards and dont lose too many too early, but one for the Spellweaver is OK, you wont even lose a turn before 2nd rest with 6 cards in your hand after the first rest. I would only rarely lose a second card before 1st rest, that does start to hurt, although in some cases justified.

Sorry Andy, just saw you already replied, agree with you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.