Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have the issue of their action boards splitting? Any ideas on how to best fix it? Super glue? Double sided tape?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't want to see if you can get a replacement, the best option would be diluted white glue (PVA) . GENTLY squirt a little in the crack using a syringe, then clamp the boards together using a heavy book or similar to keep the pieces together while the glue dries. Be very sparing with the glue. If you use so much it oozes out you may end up sticking your "weight" to the board. Practice a few times with old cardstock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
If you don't want to see if you can get a replacement, the best option would be diluted white glue (PVA) . GENTLY squirt a little in the crack using a syringe, then clamp the boards together using a heavy book or similar to keep the pieces together while the glue dries. Be very sparing with the glue. If you use so much it oozes out you may end up sticking your "weight" to the board. Practice a few times with old cardstock.

Is diluted white glue something you just buy at Target? Or do you literally water down Elmer’s glue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
If you don't want to see if you can get a replacement, the best option would be diluted white glue (PVA). GENTLY squirt a little in the crack using a syringe, then clamp the boards together using a heavy book or similar to keep the pieces together while the glue dries. Be very sparing with the glue. If you use so much it oozes out you may end up sticking your "weight" to the board. Practice a few times with old cardstock.

I've used plain old Elmer's glue without diluting it--but I use very little.

If you don't have a syringe, you can squirt some glue onto a piece of cardboard or a double-folded paper towel, dip a toothpick or needle into the glue, and then use it to smear a little bit (!) inside the breach between the two pieces of your board. Then clamp or weight as above, and wait for the glue to dry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Metal Rat wrote:
GregDarcy wrote:
If you don't want to see if you can get a replacement, the best option would be diluted white glue (PVA). GENTLY squirt a little in the crack using a syringe, then clamp the boards together using a heavy book or similar to keep the pieces together while the glue dries. Be very sparing with the glue. If you use so much it oozes out you may end up sticking your "weight" to the board. Practice a few times with old cardstock.

If you don't have a syringe, you can squirt some glue onto a piece of cardboard or a double-folded paper towel, dip a toothpick or needle into the glue, and then use it to smear a little bit (!) inside the breach between the two pieces of your board. Then clamp or weight as above, and wait for the glue to dry.

Is there a reason to use Elmer’s glue as opposed to super glue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know "Elmers". Not a brand available here. But just dilute it a little. Used straight the brands I have access to can be a little gluggy. If you water it down a little so it will flow it is much more manageable for gluing paper products.

Elmers may already be the right consistency. As I said above, experiment with some scrap before tackling the boards. And yes, Michael's alternate suggestions for spreading the glue will also work, but I have found the syringe method to be more foolproof in tight spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl
Canada
Port Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A little white glue will do it but if you email the scythe team they will likely replace it for you. My dog chewed up all my black wooden pieces and they replaced them for free!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
Metal Rat wrote:
GregDarcy wrote:

Is there a reason to use Elmer’s glue as opposed to super glue?

"white glue", Elmer's or other brands, is designed specifically for bonding paper/cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R0land1199 wrote:
A little white glue will do it but if you email the scythe team they will likely replace it for you. My dog chewed up all my black wooden pieces and they replaced them for free!

The same thing was happening to 4 of my factory boards as well. Mine are also bowed a little bit. My brother, who makes books, explain that having a solid piece of cardboard on one side with a punched board glued to it means they behave differently as they dry and absorb moisture and that's why they are bending a bit.

I contacted the team and they suggested I try glueing my boards first. So far they've been doing all right with my limited glueing ability!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.