Subject: Experienced players... Help! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Hill
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to hear from people who have spent more than 5 'learning games' on Batman Arkham Escape.

I have read a lot of comments and reviews from people who have played a couple of games but have given up. I just feel like this game may grow/mature the more you play. Is this true?

Batman is hard to play, but once you know how best to use his utility belt cards, and other abilities, does it get easier for batman (Altough I accept it may still be hard)?

Please don't answer if you are new to this game or have only given it less than 5 or 6 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerard Arceo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played it a lot of times and have concluded that the game is really skewed towards the villain. With no strategy the villain player can still win, but for Batman players, even if you know intimately how every cards would work and how to combine it with your utility belt gadgets, the batman is still at a mercy of his dice. Rolling the dice really seems like flipping a coin, as it has equal sides for both arkham logo and batsymbol, so really it would always come down to 50/50% chance. This might seem fair but the villain player's win condition is not dependent on his dice rolls, while batman's every move is at the mercy of his dice rolls. To win as Batman in this game would require not just great strategy but also tremendous luck.

Because of this experiences, we have made a lot of variants to make this game more enjoyable and thematic, and it did for us, we actually play this variants at least once a week, I hope you could check it out and help you as well ^_^

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27215685#27215685
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hill
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this. Since I posted this I have played a few times and adopted my own simple house rules...

1) Batman gets 5 utility belt items at the beginning of the game (randomly selected). This helps him Alot and makes him feel far more powerful.

2) Batman can choose to do nothing on his turn (Allies still trigger). If Batman does this he draws 2 cards instead of one.

Made the game really fun and the villain player can still attack Batman as most of Batmans cards are only powerful on his own turn rather than when a villain attacks him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.