Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
andrea melegari
Italy
parma
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry for the silly question but why are there 7 spaces for laps but you start from The third?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Potapoff
Canada
edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I imagine for people who want to run longer races than the typical length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hauser
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nechevo wrote:

I imagine for people who want to run longer races than the typical length.

Precisely. I find 7 a bit too long, but I do like 5 lap races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Franco
Italy
flag msg tools
Hi Andrea, I'm an italian man like you, what a pleasure!

You're free to choose how many laps you want.
That said, I personally find 2 or 3 laps is best.
I've never heard about anyone going for 6 or 7 laps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrea melegari
Italy
parma
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thx x The replies!With 4 people we found 3 laps to be a bit short. Probably because of The power of The green cube that advance the car ad many white grey spaces ad there were green cubes in the discard pile of all The player. This often resulted in 5-8spaces with a single cube

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fariss madenn
msg tools
i have noticed that the longer lap races do present different strategical challenges than the shorter ones.

managing wear is the biggest one.

in a short race, a player may be able to afford loading up on cubes that give them huge bursts of speed at the cost of wear, because the race might be over before it becomes an issue.

however, in a long and grueling 7 lap race...removing brown cubes becomes more and more of a priority the longer the race goes on.

on a side note, I dunno who playtested this game, to establish the “45 minute” playtime printed on the box...

i mean, I know it was a 5 player game and we were playing the “hard” racetrack, but when I played it, it was more like..45 minutes per lap, not 45 for the whole game. we did 5 laps and it took almost 4 hours to finish it. (admittedly, there were a couple of times the game got stalled due to rules discussion be even without that, the game still would have taken about 3 hours)

this seems to be the issue with just about every game I play, like 99% of all board games i play take 50-200% longer than the “estimated time” printed on the box.

maybe the playtesters are like...pros that pick up on it quick and don’t need to think about their strategies and never ever have confusion of how a line is to be interpreted ...i dunno.

maybe it’s because they have the official game designers there, so they can get instant answers straight from the horses mouth, which we don’t have the benefit of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play 3 laps. I don’t have the feeling people here want to play more laps. Even with 3 laps you have to manage wear, although sometimes you can gamble on a strategy that doesn’t. And that’s good, because it means multiple strategies can lead to victory.

What we noticed is that in the third lap, you buy almost no more cubes. So your engine is as good as finished.

I would say a typical 5 player game takes 1-1.5 hours depending on player involvement and time of the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Snyder
United States
Zanesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first 7 lap race for 2 players tonight. It was actually very exciting. My opponent stalled the first several turns to buy blue cards (most blue cards $6 = double movement of any color of your choice). I focused on green/purple cards (green $4, draw 2 cubes, keep 1 and discard the other, purple $2 - discard 6 cubes). I lapped my opponent on the first lap as he stalled for a long time to build up (something you couldn't do in a short game) - I kept my wear cubes to very little, dropped the white and yellow cubes over time as well. Never had more than 20 cubes total. Meanwhile, mid race he passed me, and then lapped me ... I was being crushed. But - he was pulling in so many wear cubes (I would say close to 40 cubes). Then it came, he put all of that into his bag and in the last lap his car went to a crawl. By this time, I had 2 light gray, tons dark gray, green and purple cubes. I was able to speed around, regain my lost lap, eventually pass him on the final lap and at the last moment I took a win with 1 space pass the start/finish line and he ended at the start/finish line. It was a blast and something you couldn't really do in a 3 lap race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LarDukeSnyder wrote:
I played my first 7 lap race for 2 players tonight. It was actually very exciting. My opponent stalled the first several turns to buy blue cards (most blue cards $6 = double movement of any color of your choice). I focused on green/purple cards (green $4, draw 2 cubes, keep 1 and discard the other, purple $2 - discard 6 cubes). I lapped my opponent on the first lap as he stalled for a long time to build up (something you couldn't do in a short game) - I kept my wear cubes to very little, dropped the white and yellow cubes over time as well. Never had more than 20 cubes total. Meanwhile, mid race he passed me, and then lapped me ... I was being crushed. But - he was pulling in so many wear cubes (I would say close to 40 cubes). Then it came, he put all of that into his bag and in the last lap his car went to a crawl. By this time, I had 2 light gray, tons dark gray, green and purple cubes. I was able to speed around, regain my lost lap, eventually pass him on the final lap and at the last moment I took a win with 1 space pass the start/finish line and he ended at the start/finish line. It was a blast and something you couldn't really do in a 3 lap race.

Thanks for posting. This session report made me smile. If you're up for it, consider posting a full session report. I'm sure people would dig it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.