Subject: Mars & Venus cratons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray Horak
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but are the shelves (and off shore disks/hexes) for the Venus and Mars cratons supposed to be on the left side (they are on the right side on Earth, after all)?
Otherwise, the text would be upside-down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but are the shelves (and off shore disks/hexes) for the Venus and Mars cratons supposed to be on the left side (they are on the right side on Earth, after all)?
Otherwise, the text would be upside-down.

I think they are that way because you are supposed to mount them back to back (on your own), the Mars and Venus Cratons on the back of the Earth Cratons.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bailey
England
WEST BRIDGFORD
NOTTINGHAM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The picture on page 27 of the rules has them backwards and mine are too, I guess that's fine then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Horak
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DocSavage2001 wrote:

I think they are that way because you are supposed to mount them back to back (on your own), the Mars and Venus Cratons on the back of the Earth Cratons.

I thought about that, but it doesn't really make sense.

All rules text refers to offshores being on east coasts, and there's nothing to prevent the cratons when mounted to have the offshores on the east side when playing on Mars and Venus too, but using them that way means the text on them is upside down.

I'm not sure if there's something else I'm overlooking, if there was an oversight, or something else.

Right now, I'm just confused why playing "correctly" would mean playing with them upside down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mount them back to back with the text on the Earth side and the text on the Mars/Venus side such that you flip them vertically (not horizontally) to read the text right side up.

Yes, that means for Mars and Venus, the offshore areas are on the West Coast. I think that all the references to Offshores always being on the East Coast was just something that was missed and for Mars and Venus, they ARE supposed to be on the West Coast. (As shown on Pages 22 and 26)

After you glue them together back to back, you have a nice little literal "shelf" to hold the carbon or the Bloom disks. And they lock together better when they "crash" into each other. If you look at the diagrams on pages 5 and 8, you can even see the little white circles that are formed from the backs of the Mars and Venus Cratons when you glue them together.

One other bit of proof that for Mars and Venus, the Offshores are to the West is Rule K5g Olympus Mons, that is the Top LEFT hex of Tharsis. It notes that the black disk there cannot be removed except by collisions and is uninhabitable by Creeples or plankton.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Horak
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DocSavage2001 wrote:
You mount them back to back with the text on the Earth side and the text on the Mars/Venus side such that you flip them vertically (not horizontally) to read the text right side up.

Yes, that means for Mars and Venus, the offshore areas are on the West Coast. I think that all the references to Offshores always being on the East Coast was just something that was missed and for Mars and Venus, they ARE supposed to be on the West Coast. (As shown on Pages 22 and 26)

Ok, that makes sense.

I suppose I still just don't get why it would be necessary to move the off shores to the west side for Mars & Venus (since just keeping it consistent would have been easier), but I guess the only person who can answer that is Phil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.