Popular Tags: [View All]
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Has anyone tried just playing this game as a race to victory points. AKA first to 30/40/50 wins the game? I keep wanting a game that's longer than the somewhat unsatisfying 2 factories per player but shorter than the super interesting but interminable future finish.

Using this top post to summarize options for mid-length play:

- Race to 30 VPs (or 40 or 50 depending on length)
- Count only science sites as factories as far as game end triggers.
- Race to the first End Game glory (In official manual)
- Achievement race in exploration module (In official manual)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1900589/issues-futures-end-... had some good discussion on intermediate length games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kaelistus wrote:
Has anyone tried just playing this game as a race to victory points. AKA first to 30/40/50 wins the game? I keep wanting a game that's longer than the somewhat unsatisfying 2 factories per player but shorter than the super interesting but interminable future finish.

There is an achievements race game in the official W7-10 Exploration Module that can be tried. It is a sort of a VP race although it does not count the amount of factories as the endgame condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I updated the top post to keep a list of options. Seems like a lot of variety in here.

All of these have their pluses and minuses in how they affect the game, I think. Race to 30 VPs are likely to still leave the outer planets alone so that will feel more like the basic gam.

Counting only science sites is probably the longest of all and, without looking at the board because its put away, seems likely to ship you out to TNO to finish it out. But will that give you the victory or will this stall as people who don't go out there pass you in points?

Glory victory will totally change the game. As you need to specialize and mostly forget about factories unless you need a black technology. (Will this even happen? Not sure. Must play and find out).

I haven't tried W7-10 as I felt overwhelmed with rules after the CEO module. (Ditto Interstellar). Now that I'm familiar with the game, I should read up on this and see if I have the stamina to explain more rules to newbie players. I like the idea of the exploration module a lot tho'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kaelistus wrote:
I like the idea of the exploration module a lot tho'.

For more options of getting achievements if you are not overwhelmed with the new content, it is advisable to try "Visions of the Future Glories" variant (in its basic version). There is some chance that "Visions" will become part of the next incarnation of High Frontier, at least for HF Lite.
Exploration Module could also be added in steps since some of its rules are independent from each other.
Exomigration (W1-6) is also worth trying on its own, although it has nothing to do with the game length.
Note that the Exploration Module does not necesasrily force you to play Interstellar afterwards - so that you can avoid multiplayer Interstellar which is hard to play with just one game copy (shame on OSS for not publishing pnp content so far).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.