Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Stephens
Australia
Mt Martha
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any real difference between game when playing with Science and Explore Motives?

The only differences are the -1 tonnage penalties are switched from warship to maru (non-warship), adventures are +1 Science and Treasures are +1 Explore. The multipliers for Science Discovered and Wonders also differ.

The only real strategical difference I can see would be that Explore should concentrate slightly more on search whereas Science (perversely) should concentrate on adventure, or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a ton of differences. The victory point differences are significant. The starting Upgrade differences are also significant. Science has a lower threshold for losing due to Notoriety getting too high. Science has more cards in Act II and Explore has more in Act III, meaning Explore will face more enemy ships over the course of the game - but will also get more Action Points on average due to a higher percentage of turns where you get 3 white dice instead of 2.

Science wants to sit still as much as possible and do expensive Adventure actions to try to invent stuff. Explore wants to find more Wonders via searching all over the world's oceans. The Hydro Drive makes it easy for Explore to get around; Monstrous Design makes it easy for Science to minimize Notoriety gains when they are forced to fight. Science will want to save action points and choose Lulls in Act III in order to do cheap Adventures and reduce enemy ship placements. Explore will probably fight more and do more Incite actions to reduce Notoriety. When shopping for Upgrades both will have different motivations based on the VPs the Upgrades will be worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

That's a great answer above! It's humbling to see how other people have a firm grasp of the finer (yet significant) nuances that I never even considered!

Would be cool to see that sort of analysis done for all the motives! (Just sayin')

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Zdybel
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
Would be cool to see that sort of analysis done for all the motives! (Just sayin')

Hmmm. Perhaps. But that would destroy the joy of learning all these things for yourself. Something like being presented with a finished jig-saw puzzle.

Nemo's War is a violently random game (Yay! God Bless Ameritrash!) that rewards patience and daring alike. There is no single, correct way to win this game. Trying out different strategies - and you will need different strategies for each Motive - is half the fun. Chuft's (most excellent) analysis simply reflects his depth of experience.

If any reading this really desire spoilers, contact me and I will give them you. Much better, however, if you find your own truths and experience your own triumphs.

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.