7 Posts

The Thing: Infection at Outpost 31» Forums » Rules

Subject: Subject Zero Assimilation and a 4 player game problem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vaclav Urbanek
msg tools
Hi. I have two questions about this game:

1) Has anybody tried to set up the Subject Zero Assimilation deck so that it may contain one OR no assimilations in it? I think it would be more interesting if the players didn't know if there necessarily is an assimilation at the start of the game, but I don't know if it works mechanically.

2) When we were playing the four player game, the humanity lost like halfway through because the outpost burnt down. Because most missions were for four players, there wasn't anyone left to put out the fires at the end of each round. Or am I missing some rule that deals with this issue?

Thanks for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe L.
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had always assumed that you could break the mission requirement rules to send someone to put out a fire. Sort of like how you can do this if someone is tied up. Makes sense thematically that you all wouldn’t let the place burn down. But, this hasn’t come up for us in 7 or so games as we usually have 6+ players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do the mission in a room that has smoke or fire, discard the fire extinguisher before starting the mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaclav Urbanek
msg tools
The moment I read your comment, I remembered reading it in the rules. Thank you and sorry, I'm a dumbass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is if that fire/smoke is in rooms you already passed an investigation in. You then can't choose any of these rooms for future investigations, but with all the 4 player missions don't have any additional player to send out to take care of it too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaclav Urbanek
msg tools
There are some missions only for three players, but it is true that there aren't many of them.

By the way: any opinions about the second topic of this thread?

"Has anybody tried to set up the Subject Zero Assimilation deck so that it may contain one OR no assimilations in it? I think it would be more interesting if the players didn't know if there necessarily is an assimilation at the start of the game, but I don't know if it works mechanically."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a 4 player game I think it's a reasonable option to have the chance that nobody is infected from the beginning. We lost our 4 player game as humana quite easily because of unlucky rolls and the thing didn't really had to sabotage much to help this to be the result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.