Ethan Soanka
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings!

(NOT playing with Dirty Cop)
Example:
A player completed an Emergency that had an Unknown Circumstances Reward of looking at the top 2 cards of an Investigation Deck, putting 1 on top, the other 1 on the bottom.

Problem:
We only had 1 Investigation Deck left and our group all knew that the top 2 cards were both Evidence, so using this "reward" would be detrimental, not beneficial.

The rules said nothing of a "may" in them, so we played it out as stated but it still did not feel right that we had to put 1 of our Evidence cards on the bottom of the deck.

Are the Unknown Circumstances that are rewards optional?

Thank you for your time. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteTiger78 wrote:
We only had 1 Investigation Deck left

But aren't the other decks still on the board even though you found all the cards you needed from them? Couldn't you just choose one of those other decks in this case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Soanka
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy,

According to page 13 in the [2nd Edition] rulebook, under the Murder Investigation Board it states...

Clean House: "once any given category is full, remove what remains of the stack from the game board, as there are no more useful cards to be found."

EDIT

I think taking the reward is optional. I was browsing the Common Man games site and in the Lying Politicians section, it talks about how to set up the deck before the game. Well, on the Rules card it states that taking the reward is optional (and if so, no Lying Politician card is drawn.)

This leads me to believe that if taking the regular reward for an Emergency is optional, then the Unknown Circumstances reward is optional.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The intent of the victory bonus is that it is some benefit you get as a result of successfully resolving the emergency. If you are forced to take that bonus even if it is detrimental, then that no longer becomes a "bonus" and therefore is contrary to its purpose and intent. I would say that even without the discovery you have made, that in keeping with the thematic nature of the game and the intent of the rules, that bonus should be optional at the player's discretion as to if it would be a benefit or not. In the rare case where it would not be beneficial to take it, then it would seem the player shouldn't be punished for successfully resolving an emergency by being forced to do something.
It would appear most logical that these victory bonuses are optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ole and weigh in on this too if he wants, but as the publisher I would say that you guys have ultimately nailed it...

Taking the reward is optional!

meeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Common Man Games wrote:
Ole and weigh in on this too if he wants, but as the publisher I would say that you guys have ultimately nailed it...

Taking the reward is optional!

meeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeple

I'm pretty sure you have confirmed this in the past Karl.

When we designed the Lying Politicians expansion, one of the key tenets that drove the design is that rewards are always optional in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.