Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases» Forums » General

Subject: Case 2 Error(?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Bentley
United Kingdom
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Apologies if posted anywhere else. I cant find one if it has.

The 11th June 1888 newspaper is from a Monday
Under miscellaneous, the 73rd Tontine dinner is going to be on Wednesday 18th June.

How is Wednesday 7 days after Monday?

I'm guessing this is a minor error, and didnt affect my investigation but... is this an error/mistake or have I missed something?

11 June 1888 was in reality a Monday - as was 18th. Wednesday would have been the 13th
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Mahon
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good spot Bob!

I've just compared my Times from the original Sleuth 1981 edition and the current Space Cowboys edition and the anniversary dinner was on Weds 18th June 1890 in the Sleuth newspaper, which was dated Tuesday June 10th 1890, so the days were consistent with each other in the Sleuth edition, as well as being the correct day of the week historically.

The case was set in 1890 rather than 1888, as it was Case Eight in the original game - this was changed to Case Two by Ystari and Space Cowboys have kept that case order I believe, and changed the year of the case accordingly.

Unfortunately it appears that despite other changes being made, the anniversary dinner date in the Space Cowboys newspaper has not been altered to fit the new timeline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bentley
United Kingdom
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fantastically detailled reply. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Mahon
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're very welcome

I'm a little surprised this slipped through into the latest edition,as it contained the same error in the Ystari version (I've just checked that one too).

Pity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bentley
United Kingdom
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dominic.

Can you please check something for me?

Spoiler (click to reveal)

I went to 5WC. The cabbie talks of a man in a hurry taken from Bridge House Hotel to De Keysers Hotel.

31EC De Keysers: Is where Count Rostov is staying with a 'tall, powerfully built' bodyguard

3SE Bridge House Hotel: Andre Matin has been murdered. Only suspicious person was a very large man; well dressed, well mannered, and came running down to hail a cab
The toe of one foot had stood on an upturned inkwell but this had worn away before the culprit left the room.

53SW Pont Street: Is the home of Carson Cabot.
Carson is named in the answers as the killer.
His butler is cleaning shoes - but this could be coincidental as it's his job. Carson is big with large hands.

- I believe the cab location has changed between versions of this game. I think there is a case for Vladimir or Carson to be the killer. Carson's is circumstantial, Vladimirs is physical (seen there and admitted so)

I think in my version it is not unreasonable to have Vladimir as the killer. but the soltion answers say this is wrong. Earlier versions would make it very clearly Carson due to the cab ride.

Can you check your copies please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Mahon
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bob,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I was actually part way through this case so I wanted to finish it before checking all the clues.

The cabbies have always been at 5WC to the best of my knowledge, they certainly are in my Sleuth edition. I understand where you're coming from about Vladimir, but if Count Rostov had actually been involved in the killing, he wouldn't tell you his man had been to the crime scene at all - so that clue is supposed to exonerate him, since he's told you the truth. The evidence to point to Carson Cabot is much stronger when you've read all the leads about him as he is known to be a gem collector who doesn't care how he gets his booty, and he had even previously attacked General Armstead. The lead at his place is a clear indication that he's guilty in my view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bentley
United Kingdom
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi thanks.

Can you confirm that the cabbies comments are the same in the versions you have ie that the man running from Bridge hotel is going to Keysers?

I'm sure I listened to a youtube (cant find it now) playthrough and it had the cabbies saying the man leaving Bridge hotel went to Pont Street. This would squarely put it as him as the murderer.
I believe there may have been a change/adjustment between the versions - which I think has made things ambiguous.

I do take your point on a number of other leads implying the darker nature of Cabot - not sure I would have pursued those all for the 10 points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Mahon
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bob,

I've just checked all four editions I own - original Sleuth brown binder, Sleuth blue box, Ystari box and Space Cowboys box. All four say the same text in 5WC, practically word for word. The relevant section "from the Bridge House Hotel to de Keysers" is identical in all four of them. So all the English versions say the same thing, not sure if there were changes in foreign language versions though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dom5 wrote:
Good spot Bob!

I've just compared my Times from the original Sleuth 1981 edition and the current Space Cowboys edition and the anniversary dinner was on Weds 18th June 1890 in the Sleuth newspaper, which was dated Tuesday June 10th 1890, so the days were consistent with each other in the Sleuth edition, as well as being the correct day of the week historically.

The case was set in 1890 rather than 1888, as it was Case Eight in the original game - this was changed to Case Two by Ystari and Space Cowboys have kept that case order I believe, and changed the year of the case accordingly.

Unfortunately it appears that despite other changes being made, the anniversary dinner date in the Space Cowboys newspaper has not been altered to fit the new timeline.

Ages of several people were given in relation of original date. That makes some people to be born AFTER tontine share could be bought, which doesn't make sense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still confused. What is the correct date of the dinner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Mahon
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:

Which version are you playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bentley
United Kingdom
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Really appreciate your effort with this Dominic
Thanks for looking into this.

dom5 wrote:
Hi Bob,

I've just checked all four editions I own - original Sleuth brown binder, Sleuth blue box, Ystari box and Space Cowboys box. All four say the same text in 5WC, practically word for word. The relevant section "from the Bridge House Hotel to de Keysers" is identical in all four of them. So all the English versions say the same thing, not sure if there were changes in foreign language versions though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dom5 wrote:
ah3Dog wrote:

Latest Spaceboy version

Thx in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Mahon
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
dom5 wrote:
ah3Dog wrote:

Latest Spaceboy version

Thx in advance

So, the Battle of Waterloo was fought on 18th June 1815 and in the Space Cowboys version of the case, the dinner is to be held on the 73rd Anniversary of the Battle. This makes the correct date 18th June 1888, which historically was a Monday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.