Brian Tanner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question about Scenario 7, Vibrant Grotto. I think we probably played this right, but it felt kind of cheesy. I found variants of this question involving monster focus and doors that were opened then later closed. I'm sure this question has also been answered, but I couldn't find it with the massive amounts of rules posts about this game...

Anyways here is the situation:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

In this scenario, you have to loot all 5 treasure chest tiles. I made a mad dash for the final chest as the Brute and died before grabbing it, leaving a lot of monsters spawned in the center room. My wife was playing the scoundrel and was still alive, however she hadn't opened the door yet on her side (we split up) into the center room. Refer to the picture (sorry I can't figure out how to post it at its original size - right click and open it in a new tab, left click won't work in a spoiler box):

The monsters still technically have a valid path to her, but they won't open doors or anything. Does that mean if she sits behind the closed door, those monsters will all spend their movement moving the "long way" around until finally getting to her? Effectively allowing her to "kite" the monsters around? It felt cheesy doing this, but it seemed correct. It allowed us to finish the scenario, as she just spent a few turns chilling behind the closed door until all the monsters had cleared out, opened the door then went to grab the last chest.

Is that correct? It felt a little bit like gaming the scenario when we were almost certainly going to lose (even as it was, she won it on her very last turn before being exhausted).

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, monsters will take a valid path to the target regardless of length. Doors are obstacles, so they won't consider that path. A bit gamey, but consider that they hear and smell you through the open door, so they move in that direction. The crafty scoundrel waits quietly behind the door until she believe the room is clear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
don't forget that you still have to play two cards each turn (or take a long rest, if and only if you have 2 or more cards in your discard pile).
So even if you aren't doing anything and just waiting for the monsters to move out, you're still moving closer to exhaustion.

and of course, in this scenario, you have to make sure you still have cards with the Loot action to use to get the Goal treasures (as regular end-of-turn looting doesn't work on them)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Tanner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
don't forget that you still have to play two cards each turn (or take a long rest, if and only if you have 2 or more cards in your discard pile).
So even if you aren't doing anything and just waiting for the monsters to move out, you're still moving closer to exhaustion.

and of course, in this scenario, you have to make sure you still have cards with the Loot action to use to get the Goal treasures (as regular end-of-turn looting doesn't work on them)

Thanks for the answers, I figured that was right, it just didn’t “feel” very fair .

And yeah that’s how we almost lost still, Scoundrel was on her final turn before being exhausted .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion this is a very puzzle strategy game. So any valid way to solve the puzzle isn't "gamey", it's good strategy. If a group or archers chose to ambush an enemy in a steep gorge so they could rain arrows down from above, that wouldn't be unfair, it would be excellent tactics and outwitting your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.