6 Posts

EuroFront II» Forums » Rules

Subject: Spanish Civil War - Railheads rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Suderman
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi, we're attempting the Spanish Civil War and want to make sure we're using the special rules for railheads correctly.

At the beginning of the game, railheads were placed in all the ports per the setup rules. But we're unclear on what happens when one of the ports changes hands - does the railhead switch to supply the other side? Or does the railhead disappear and need to be established through foreign aid in the next production phase?

Specifically, there was a Republican railhead in Bilbao from the setup at the beginning of the game. On Fortnight I of the month, the Nationalists took control of Bilbao.

Can the Nationalists trace supply to Bilbao at the end of the next Republican turn?

Thanks for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Spicer
United Kingdom
Gerrards Cross,
Bucks
flag msg tools
Been a long time since I played the scenario, but I think the Republicans start with three railheads, two from French aid, representing the 2 PP's of aid initially and one from the Soviets for their 1 PP of aid.

The one from the Soviets has to go in a port, the two from France can go in ports or on the rail border hexes into France (see the section on Foreign Aid).

Where you place them can be crucial for supply to your units, at least as the game progresses.

The Nationalists generally don't need their railheads in ports, as they can trace supply to Lisbon. But it's there as an option if needed (just don't deploy all 4 so there is no supply available from Lisbon!).

If a railhead is captured by the other side it is eliminated for that month. But assuming the aid still flows it can be redeployed the following production into a friendly port, or French border rail hex.

Then later in the game Blockade can change the availability of railheads in ports.

Hope this helps (and that I've go it correct).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Suderman
Canada
flag msg tools
Great John, very much appreciate the feedback! That makes a lot of sense.

So it looks like:

1) we went wrong by setting railheads up in all friendly ports to start (the setup rules state "Railhead markers are placed in friendly controlled ports and French border hexes, Bayonne and Perpignan." so I think I read that incorrectly as "markers are placed in ALL friendly controlled ports".

2) Friendly railheads are eliminated if the port is seized by the enemy.

We should instead be setting up only the amount we have available (3 for Republicans at start, up to 4 for Nationalists), and then redeploy them in any friendly port in the production phase of every month.

Does that sound right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Spicer
United Kingdom
Gerrards Cross,
Bucks
flag msg tools
Yes. Only caveat is you don't really need to bother with the Nationalist railheads at the start as their units can all trace supply from Lisbon (unless I remember it incorrectly). Whereas the Republicans have no 'non-railhead' sources of supply so have to the railheads are important, and clearly a target for the Nationalists.

Enjoy - it's good ftf as a scenario, as very quick, but in my view not so good Vassal/pbem as their a lot of passing due to the lack of HQ points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan de Marco
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont forget that you get a free upgrade of the thq for 0PP for both sides!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Suderman
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for all your help, Juan. We did definitely lean on those 0PP THQ reinforcements (and replacements).

I am happy to report that we were able to conclude today with myself leading the Republicans to a pacification victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.