Subject: Personnal quest 510 (seeker of Xorn), scenario 54 - MEGA SPOIL !!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthieu Glady
France
strasbourg
flag msg tools
Hello !!
I have just finished the personnal quest and the scenario 54. And i don't know what to do exactly. It's my first retirement character, so :
- i increase the city's prosperity lvl by 1 ?
- my harrower plagueherald starts at lvl 1 ? same lvl than the old character ?
- i have the bonus perks for futur character (still the plagueherald ?) ?
- old characters objects go to the shop ? Even the Xorn Staff ?
- can i open "town records" ?

Thx for your help

Matthieu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
You still follow all retirement rules from the rulebook but you cannot do any town actions before this special retirement.

Increase prosperity by 1, add city and road events based on the rules of the scenario and based on the unlocked character backside.

Do not add the retirement events of your original character from the back of your character mat.

The new character starts at the prosperity level of the town.
Items go back to shop, without any gold gained. You are not able to enhance cards, as tgat can be only done in town.

The intention of mine was that the new character starts with the staff but that never made it into the rules.

You still gain your free perk for each retired character in your legacy.

Open the town records and note your character down in the annals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:
You still follow all retirement rules from the rulebook but you cannot do any town actions before this special retirement.

Is that something that is explicitly stated on the Seeker of Xorn PQ card?

Because normally you can do all of the regular town actions with a character that has fulfilled their PQ, you just can't undertake any more scenarios.

rulebook pg 48 wrote:
The character may perform any other town activities beforehand, but he or she cannot play any new scenarios using a character with a fulfilled personal quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes it is special to the rules of scenario 54, but why is a heavy spoiler.

greeting Marcel

JayJ79 wrote:

Is that something that is explicitly stated on the Seeker of Xorn PQ card?

Because normally you can do all of the regular town actions with a character that has fulfilled their PQ, you just can't undertake any more scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Glady
France
strasbourg
flag msg tools
Morthai wrote:

Increase prosperity by 1, add city and road events based on the rules of the scenario and based on the unlocked character backside.
New character starts at the prosperitylevel of the town.
Items back to shop. The intention of mine was that the new character starts with the staff but that never made it into the rules.
1 bonusperk for each retired character
Open the town records

THX a lot for your explications

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ackland
msg tools
mbmb
To add to this, you do NOT add the road and city event cards on the back of the retiring character's player mat, for reasons which are also a spoiler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ax0r wrote:
To add to this, you do NOT add the road and city event cards on the back of the retiring character's player mat, for reasons which are also a spoiler.

[pure speculation, as I haven't yet played to that point]
but I'm assuming that if one really wanted to, they could create another character of that same class (that undertook the Seeker of Xorn quest) and could carry that class through to retirement if they wanted to unlock those road and city events. (Not sure it would be worth it, unless someone was a total completist, but anyway)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I felt that my question fit in here.

Only some more Scenario 54 spoilers:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Is it possible to play this Scenario 54 in casual mode? And, if so, does one of the participating characters need to have the staff in order to be able to hurt the harrowers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
timothée licitri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ax0r wrote:

Can you explain why in spoiler tag. I have finished this quest and don’t remember this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
skkrohmagnon wrote:
Ax0r wrote:

Can you explain why in spoiler tag. I have finished this quest and don’t remember this point.

It says in the conclusion of scenario 54 to add these other cards instead of the normal ones for retiring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Malama wrote:
skkrohmagnon wrote:
Ax0r wrote:

It says in the conclusion of scenario 54 to add these other cards instead of the normal ones for retiring.

So let's say you're playing a Brute (just picked a random starting class) with Seeker of Xorn as your PQ. You follow the Xorn quest to conclusion,
which tells you not to add the City and Road events that would normally be added when the Brute retires.

If later on the campaign, someone played another Brute character (obviously with a different PQ), and took that second Brute to retirement, would they then add the Brute retirement City and Road cards?

[spoiler for the Seeker of Xorn quest]
I would say yes, those cards are added when this second Brute character retires, as they are the first Brute to actually "retire". The end of the Xorn quest is different than "retiring" per se.
Though that makes me wonder if the other "retirement" perks apply for the character that completed the Xorn quest, such as Prosperity increase, bonus perk for that player, counting toward the minimum for Solo Scenarios, etc.

Personally, I think I'd count it as a normal retirement for most of those things, but I would also add the Brute cards when a second Brute retired in the traditional (non-Xorn) fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is a normal retirement with the exception of the road and city events added, and you can't go to town to do stuff before retiring.

The next brute that retires will definitely add the normal road and event cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, does anyone know how/if this can be played in casual mode?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Baker
msg tools
Malama wrote:
So, does anyone know how/if this can be played in casual mode?

You could give one player the Staff temporarily (they don’t have to buy it from the store, but they don’t get to keep it or sell it afterward either). That’s probably how I’d do it, unless someone actually wanted to have it permanently and bought it for real.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin H.
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is kind of ähhh... i have 100(200)g worth of equipment which i have to sell beforehand in order to enhance my cards and not going to waste..and going in almost naked just with the staff..one should avoid this lifegoal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xarathornx wrote:
this is kind of ähhh... i have 100(200)g worth of equipment which i have to sell beforehand in order to enhance my cards and not going to waste..and going in almost naked just with the staff..one should avoid this lifegoal

Thats a matter of perspective. Having such a strong story point somewhere is very much rewarding from a flavor perspective. But yeah mechanics wise; this goal was created before enhancements were part of the game. It is just in the mentality of mny players to use their retirement to enhance their card; while the original idea was to enhance your cards while exploring the class not at the end.

As said before the original intend was that the staff would be passed on to the new character to have some kind of legacy, continuation of story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Mullet
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:
xarathornx wrote:

Thats a matter of perspective. Having such a strong story point somewhere is very much rewarding from a flavor perspective. But yeah mechanics wise; this goal was created before enhancements were part of the game. It is just in the mentality of mny players to use their retirement to enhance their card; while the original idea was to enhance your cards while exploring the class not at the end.

As said before the original intend was that the staff would be passed on to the new character to have some kimd of legacy, continuation of story.

Best PQ i've had in our campaign to date.

That said, I have no interest in using pre-retirement enhancements so i've had characters retire with 100+ gold in their retirement fund anyway. I find enhancements of interest to enhance a character I am playing in relation to the build I am creating and then, using re-usable stickers, they all get removed upon retirement anyway so any future players can create a build from a blank slate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Madmullet wrote:
I have no interest in using pre-retirement enhancements

all enhancements are pre-retirement enhancements. cool
Once you retire, you can't enhance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Mullet
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
Madmullet wrote:

Just for you Jay, i'll pretend that I believe that you didn't understand so shall make it clearer.

'I have no interest in paying for enhancements immediately prior to retirement when I, playing as that particular character, will not have an opportunity to play a scenario with the benefit of those enhancements.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:
xarathornx wrote:

As said before the original intend was that the staff would be passed on to the new character to have some kimd of legacy, continuation of story.

If the original idea was to be able to enhance your cards while leveling up then you definitely should have divised enhancement cost by 2 or 3. Leveling players have not enough money for equipment and donation and fork 75-200 gold for a enhancement.

25 coins token for a +1 take so much time you are going to be retired before benefiting from it.

Sure you can game the system by casual replaying a few scenarios that have a lot of coins but you could just as well just give yourself unlimited cash as it is about as cheesy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
IKerensky wrote:
If the original idea was to be able to enhance your cards while leveling up then you definitely should have divised enhancement cost by 2 or 3. Leveling players have not enough money for equipment and donation and fork 75-200 gold for a enhancement.

ability enhancements are supposed to represent a significant investment, especially the more powerful ones. so there is no reason to cheapen the prices for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Madmullet wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
Madmullet wrote:

Just for you Jay, i'll pretend that I believe that you didn't understand so shall make it clearer.

'I have no interest in paying for enhancements immediately prior to retirement when I, playing as that particular character, will not have an opportunity to play a scenario with the benefit of those enhancements.'

well, these forums are infested with rules lawyers who like to overly analyze exact interpretations of wordings. devil

so really it was a "RAW vs. RAI" issue, right? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
IKerensky wrote:

ability enhancements are supposed to represent a significant investment, especially the more powerful ones. so there is no reason to cheapen the prices for them.

Sure, but then don't cry when the only point in character progression people can buy them is when retiring the character because they don't have need for money anymore.

Enhancement are nice and should be important, but it's far less gamey to pay for them with retirement cash than fail/replay/fail casual mode of one peculiar scenario I won't point out.

I had to put coin away for 5 scenario (and lucky on chest loot) to buy me a 80 gold pair of boots and it was a good invest but hard to make. And I know I will be able to get pay back on it for a few level more.
I just can't see how I can put 200 coins away without being so close to retire that it won't make sense for me to spend them to enhance my card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently started a new campaign with friends on tts and we unlocked enhancements quite early. Now we have like 3-4 stickers per class, as we couldn't buy anything past prosperity 2 items. On harder difficulties you get gold so fast that you end up with a huge surplus of money anyways, so its quite easy to pay for enhancements prior to retirement. You just cant leave any poor coin behind (especially as a scoundrel; they would feel lonely )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xarathornx wrote:

This is maybe a harsh take on it, it's a pretty cool quest line, but at least having a heads up that you can't enhance for this quest would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |