Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
247 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] Count of Nine - Submission to 2018 9 Card Nanogame PnP Contest [CONTEST Ready] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Count of Nine

There's been lots of discussion here, most of it has been card layout discussions, so no need to read through all the pages of the discussion if you don't want to. Just download the files and play.
Thanks.

Playthrough video:
/video/172443

My submission to the 2018 9-Card Nanogame Print and Play Design Contest

Count of Nine

Back to the monochrome image.

Count of Nine is a solo, 9 card, economic, city building Euro-style game.

You are the Count of the small territory of Nine. Search your land for resources to build basic structures that will provide more resources. Use these structures and resources to build up your small village into a powerful economic force.

Components:
9 double-sided cards containing up to 2 resources and up to 2 structures on each side of the card

Approximate Playing Time: 5-15 minutes for base game

Categories:
Best Overall Game
Best Solitaire Game
Best Written Rules
Best Artwork
Best Grayscale Printed Game
Best 9 Card Only Game

Game Files:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1iwtXl48mhAwLXUB41Jff...

Note:
Cards last updated March 17 to version 0.63 (added bleed, no gameplay changes)
Rules last updates March 17 to version 0.63 (clarifications)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Count of Nine - Submission to 2018 9 Card Nanogame PnP Contest [Idea Phase]
Reserved for Mechanics discussion

All 9 cards are double sided.

A round is one play through of the deck.

A turn is one decision on the top 2 active cards (in blue below).

Each card will have a resource on the top and one on the bottom, and usually 2 structures in the middle. So, a typical turn will be looking at the two cards and deciding if you want to use the top 2 resources to build one of the (up to) 4 available structures.

Here is a very quick mock-up of the layout of the cards. I'll work on better looking cards later, but these should work for early playtesting:

With the top 2 resources (Crew and Food), the player could build the Farm (which provides 1 Food resource for future structures). If the Farm is built, the Market and Shipwright (structures on back side of card) and the Black Smith (the other structure on this side of the card) will not be available to be built for the rest of the game.

If you decide not to build from those 2 cards, flip the first card onto the discard pile (so the cards stay in the same order) for the next round. Then slide the cards over so you have what was the second card (now the first card) and a new second card.

You will have options to manipulate the deck, probably one chance per round to do one of the following:
- rotate 1 card (top to bottom)
- flip 1 card (front to back)
- rotate entire deck at start of round
- flip entire deck at start of round
- shuffle deck at start of round

If you play through the deck without building a structure, it will cost you the last card in the deck (you spent resources searching your town). This is to hopefully avoid analysis paralysis, or just playing through the deck to slowly manipulate it to get it perfect.

I'm playing around with several "objects of the game":
- certain victory point threshold
- build certain buildings

- build all 9 cards (possible because some built structures provide resources to build other structures, so you will be able to build when only 1 card remains).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Count of Nine - Submission to 2018 9 Card Nanogame PnP Contest [Idea Phase]
Reserved for theme or other discussion

I chose the very common medieval village/city/kingdom theme just to make it easier (hopefully) to understand the tech tree.

I was thinking of names: "9 Card Kingdom", "9 Card Dukedom" "Duke of 9 Acres", Feifdom of.... but nothing was really grabbing me. The "kingdom" you create will only be 9 cards, so it will be a small kingdom, maybe an earldom. But then I stumbled upon the word "Count" and I liked sort of the play on words or double meaning of an Earl, but also counting your 9 cards and deciding what to do with them. So, then, I just named the little territory that the Count has "Nine", hence the Count of Nine. I like it for now, but who knows, maybe I'll come up with something else a little later.

The highest level structures are currently:
- Castle
- Cathedral
- Monument
- Town Square
- Harbour

These will take some combination of the following to build each one:
- Stone Mason
- Gold Smith
- Black Smith
- Saw Mill
- Church
- School
- Farm
- etc.

Resources:
- Crew (needed to build each structure, bigger structures will need more than 1 )
- Food
- Lumber
- Ore
- Stone
- Gold (can also be used as a wild card resource)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Welcome to the contest Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
Welcome to the contest Scott

Thanks Joseph. This is probably my favorite contest on BGG, probably due to my limited PnP skills. I really like the constraints 9 cards puts on designers, AND it's easy to print and playtest other submissions. Looking forward to a fun time with the contest, as always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks awesome! Subscribed and excited for components!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris.

I've got a very rough prototype made. The game is hopefully about 75% designed, but the components may be a ways off. Maybe I'll try a hand drawn set of cards for the first version. Mock up of cards in post up above.

The game isn't super deep, more puzzly (i.e. If I need to build the Monument, I need a Stone Mason, so I can't build this structure because the Stone Mason is also on this card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janine Viglietti
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really looking forward to trying this out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Janine. Hope the game turns into something that is worth playing beyond the contest.

With a very big thank you to GameIcons.net for the icons, here is what the prototype cards look like:

This blue side is the starting side of the deck with most of the resources and basic structures (Saw Mill, etc.).

This gold side is the back side that the player can flip to during the game. It contains the mostly higher level structures and very few resources.

And this is what a perfect game end might look like: using all 9 cards and earning 10 victory points. The top structure on each card is the only thing that matters once it is played.

Still need to work out game play details, but I am hopeful that this turns into a good game.

Thanks.

EDIT: My plan is to create more pleasant looking cards, but for now these are functional at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are looking good! Game-icons.net is a wonderful site!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed, Scott! I'm always keen on your designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the compliment Jim (and for putting the pressure on me). surprise

I've got the mechanics workings, now I just need to figure out the "now what?": Build the biggest city for the most victory points, or have specific missions or campaigns, or...?

Hopefully, I will post components and first draft rules by Sunday.

Then, once I get the game worked out, I'd like to pretty up the cards with some great public domain images I found - like the image in the game logo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for fun, I wanted to see if I could fit the rules in the space of 9 cards.

They make sense to me, but I need to clarify some points. I'll do that, but for those that are curious about the flow of the game, this might help, or is at least a sneak peak.

EDIT: I will need to playtest this and I'm sure tweak the rules, but hopefully I will get this to "components ready" in the next couple days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks very nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jonas.

The game is surprisingly (to me) puzzly and brain burning. I like that in such a small package. But, I need to playtest it multiple more times to make sure it's fun to play and not just challenging to play.

Stay tuned...

EDIT: I played 5 games and scored: 11, 9, 12, 17, 16 victory points, so I will need to adjust the scoring results up some. It should be easy to score at least 5 points every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
S
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Count of Nine - Submission to 2018 9 Card Nanogame PnP Contest [Components Ready]
On the step where you lay out all 9 cards and decide on reassembling them, isn't analysis paralysis a problem? Won't you play out the whole game mentally in that step? Or I'm missing something..?

Cards — look clear except that the gold does not show up well on the orangish cards. Choose another background color? (Or leave white.) Also, like 'shipwright, stonemason and goldsmith, etc. are one word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Count of Nine - Submission to 2018 9 Card Nanogame PnP Contest [Components Ready]
Thanks for taking a look C.L.

I had thought about putting a time limit on looking at the laid out cards. Yes, AP could be an issue, but it's a solo game, so if that is what the player wants to do, it's their choice.

The intent of that part of the game is to minimize luck of the draw of the cards. So, I think it is needed, and thematically I think it is OK - planning your city.

Thanks for the word advice also. Is Stonemason really one word?

I'll add a background block of a darker color behind the gold and probably ore.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good. And try googling stone mason — you'll get redirected to stonemason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards updates with corrected words (Blacksmith instead of Black Smith, etc.), background shading to the light colored resources, plus some minor cosmetic changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm slow but I can't figure out what the building in smaller lettering below the main building means. Can you clarify? Example: Blacksmith says Market below it but Market doesn't require a blacksmith as far as can tell.

Otherwise this looks like a neat 9 card game!

Also when you are setting up can you peak at the underside to ensure you are getting more resource options from the brown sides?

Thanks Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about that, I did not explain that anywhere. Those are the structures on the back side of the card. So, if you see "Castle" in small print and you want to build the castle, don't build anything on the from side of the card or you will lose the option of building the castle (since it is on the back of this card.

I should clarify about "peaking" in the rules.

Prior to the game, you may look at the yellow side of the cards (to see what structures are needed to build a Castle, for example). During the game, there is no additional peaking. But, as cards are played, they go from the blue side to flipped to the yellow side every round, so you will see the back side of each card once per round.

Also, the 3 cards that do NOT have a Crew on the blue side have a Crew on the back (yellow) side - just so you know.

I will need to add these details into the rules.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Paardekooper
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott, nice looking game! It looks very puzzly
Do you think that maybe rotating the entire image on the cards 90 degrees could provide more space for artwork for the buildings? Eg. Resource icons maybe smaller on the long sides and the buildings on the short sides (so the artwork can span the entire upper/lower half of the card).
Edit: Oh, and I noticed you did not like the ‘colorized’ logo, and you want your game in greyscale... I think it would look absolutely beautiful if the cards would have a black-on-white side and a white-on-black side (instead of blue and yellow now)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
Sorry about that, I did not explain that anywhere. Those are the structures on the back side of the card. So, if you see "Castle" in small print and you want to build the castle, don't build anything on the from side of the card or you will lose the option of building the castle (since it is on the back of this card.

THis is helpful thanks.

Narrow Gate Games wrote:
Also, the 3 cards that do NOT have a Crew on the blue side have a Crew on the back (yellow) side - just so you know.

Also very good for ease of thinking strategically

One more comment: I don't know if it is possible to create a flow diagram, even a simplistic one for the tech tree. This would also prove useful as it looks like in some cases there are several steps in order to get at the high VP buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A visual tech tree is a good idea. And, I plan to rewrite the rules in a more sequential format. I will include a tech tree as a reference in teh next rules update.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.