Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was numbering my cards and map tiles for this expansion today and I found that there are only 11 mine map cards but 12 mine map tiles. I see that the mine map tile that is missing a card IS used in a fixed-map mission, but the missing map card vexes me. I found an older thread discussing this here but it doesn't address my question:

Are all map decks for all Derelict Ship missions supposed to be only 17 map tiles big?

I doubt it, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit weird, but I think this is what's happening.

A normal map deck is 6 corridors, 4 standard rooms (two each of two types) and 8 unique rooms. That's 18 cards.

Excepting the Blasted Wastes expansion, which has Canyons on the reverse of the Other World, every Other World has Mines on the reverse and a full Mine map deck. The corridors are identical in all of these. The standard rooms are sometimes different.

I guess FFP does this so you can use any expansion as the basis for your Mine exploration, but it seems a bit silly. Will I really have an Other World but no core set? Do I need a full Mine map deck in each expansion?

So I think they did something a little different with the Derelict Ship because it's not strictly necessary for the Mine map deck to be normal in each expansion.

They used the back of the Habitat Ring (Derelict Ship standard room) for Rail Split (Mine standard room first seen in the Caverns of Cynder set). Then they used the back of the Hydroponic Garden (the other Derelict Ship standard room) for a unique Mine room and its scenario-specific variant.

So the map deck for the Mine has 6 corridors, 2 standard rooms and 9 unique rooms. That adds up to 17. There is no card for the scenario-specific Mine room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.