One Deck Dungeon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Quick grammar question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Crow
United States
California
flag msg tools
Some skills affect "any or all" of a certain kind of dice, for example, Consistency says "change any or all of your dice to 4's". What I'm wondering is what the "any" in this means:

#1: "any" means "any single". It seems overpowered to me that I should be able to choose to change any of my non-5s or 6s to 4s, so it seems more fair to the game this way.

OR

#2: "any" means "any number of". This could be what it means, but seems strong.

example:
I rolled two threes and a six. Could I choose to make that two fours and a six? Or would I have to do 3 fours?

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case, "any or all" means "any number including zero or all."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greengrappler wrote:
Some skills affect "any or all" of a certain kind of dice, for example, Consistency says "change any or all of your dice to 4's". What I'm wondering is what the "any" in this means:

#1: "any" means "any single". It seems overpowered to me that I should be able to choose to change any of my non-5s or 6s to 4s, so it seems more fair to the game this way.

OR

#2: "any" means "any number of". This could be what it means, but seems strong.

example:
I rolled two threes and a six. Could I choose to make that two fours and a six? Or would I have to do 3 fours?

Any thoughts?

I interpret it to mean "whichever dice you want". I think they'd have to have been clearer if they wanted to be more restrictive. It is very powerful, but I don't think it's OP. First, lots of spaces require a 5 or 6, so this doesn't help unless you have another power. Also, all the things that say "throw out any 1's or 3's" (or 2's, whatever), still take effect before you have the chance to use this ability. So, it's really nice (and it can save your butt), but it's not too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Any or all means any number from 0 up to all, chosen as you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crow
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the help guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.