Subject: Figurine of Wondrous Power rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marti Wormuth
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I had a Figurine of Wondrous Power (once per game, when you take any amount of damage, you may ignore that damage instead). I was the traitor and got attacked - I went to use the figurine to prevent damage. The rules say "If you do two or more damage, you can choose to steal an item instead." Could I have used the item to prevent stealing? Or is it strictly straight damage?

Thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FluffyMeeple wrote:
So, I had a Figurine of Wondrous Power (once per game, when you take any amount of damage, you may ignore that damage instead). I was the traitor and got attacked - I went to use the figurine to prevent damage. The rules say "If you do two or more damage, you can choose to steal an item instead." Could I have used the item to prevent stealing? Or is it strictly straight damage?

Thanks so much!

I'd say no. You're not taking damage when someone is stealing from you.

Your figurine is coming to like and taking the hit for you (sacrificing itself in the process). It's not going to give up its life to keep you from getting mugged. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say yes. In order to take an item from an enemy, you must do at least two damage. If the damage is prevented, then you can't take an item.
I interpret this as the Ebony Fly interfering with the attack altogether, and allowing you to avoid the consequences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dacks
msg tools
I would say no. The attacker has the choice to deal the damage or steal an item instead. If they choose to steal an item, then there's no damage, and no way to use the Figurine.

When rules conflict like this, I think you have to try to interpret the spirit of the item. If the item was supposed to prevent an attack completely, it would say so. Are there any other items/omens that specifically prevent stealing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ragatz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Chris is correct. This is actually specifically addressed in the rulebook in a section titled, "What Happens if Two Effects Happen at the same Time?":

If this happens, the active player’s effects from
cards, powers, and so on always take priority.
For example, say the active player is attempting
an attack to steal an item from a defender who
controls the Figurine of Wondrous Power omen
card. The defender can’t use the omen card’s
power to ignore damage until the active player
decides if they are going to steal an item instead
of inflicting damage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.