Subject: AuZtralia Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane McNeill
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Played a prototype of the game and here are my thoughts:

Here is what I liked:

- One of the strong aspects of the game is its ability to tell stories, and this game does that in spades. We found that almost every action had us making up little funny jokes about what was actually happening to our forces. Whether that be soldiers going insane in a temple or the impending doom of the approaching Cthulu (who happened to be our first level 3 token that we flipped!).

- The fact that the game is divided into almost two halves: the initial quiet phase and then the impending doom of the awakened old ones, which had us all thinking very carefully about our next actions. Using time as a resource I feel like is an under utilised mechanic in modern games (the only other game that comes to mind with this is Patchwork), but that I think it is an interesting concept and when used well, as in this game, it can be very effective.

- The multi use of the Old One cards for movement and combat. This felt very sleek and efficient in terms of minimising the use of components.

So as for my gripes, these are minor and only very few:
1. While initially learning the game I got a little confused by the rules around the placement of survey tokens and the following placement of resources on the board. This required clarification and once I got it it made sense, however I did struggle there for a moment and wondered if there was a way for this to be clearer in the rulebook.
2. When calculating our final scores we were confused about the initial numbers on the scoring track (0-8) because they are unlabelled. Again with some simple logic we figured it out but if there was a way to also have these numbered that would be ideal.
3. Could the iron tokens instead of being yellow be grey or silver? When I think of iron I imagine a dull grey metal colour. Currently they are also very close to the yellow players token colours.

Otherwise the game felt very solid at its core. I'm definitely convinced now to back it once it goes up on kickstarter and am keen to play it again sometime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like time as a resource. I thought Village did it about as well as I've seen. This is one that had my attention from the start and I look forward to seeing more about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wallace uses the time mechanism very well in a game of his I highly recommend:

Tinners' Trail

Thanks for this review. It's nice to see some early impressions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, like it there as well. Especially good to work the turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Milne
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing your impressions.

We will address those niggles you found. We’re also working on making all the tokens and tiles feel more in tune with the 1930s look of the game as well as adding some more textures to the map.

All thoughts on improving the game are welcomed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rumble
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing this! Really looking forward to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Espada
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmb
nzmeerkat wrote:

I'd like to see another cover art (I think prototype is awful one) and another box formar, more in line with Treefrog Wallace games. If you better the board textures and those little things I comment, it can be a wonderful piece of Wallace art. I don't understand why publishers use so big boxes with so bad typography in them.

Thank you for your good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Aikens
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davinci wrote:
nzmeerkat wrote:

I'd like to see another cover art (I think prototype is awful one) and another box formar, more in line with Treefrog Wallace games. If you better the board textures and those little things I comment, it can be a wonderful piece of Wallace art. I don't understand why publishers use so big boxes with so bad typography in them.

I would actually be pretty sad to see a change to the box. The artist did a great job and I think it's beautiful. Then again, I don't really get the appeal of most modern art, so I might be in the minority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Aikens
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, thanks for the early review! I cannot wait for this! ...although, I suppose I have to...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjrtom wrote:
davinci wrote:
nzmeerkat wrote:

I would actually be pretty sad to see a change to the box. The artist did a great job and I think it's beautiful. Then again, I don't really get the appeal of most modern art, so I might be in the minority.

No, I agree with you. The box art is very neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Espada
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmb
OK, I agree. Keep the box art... and then change box format!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Milne
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious. What do you dislike about the format?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelė
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think both format and art are great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nzmeerkat wrote:

I would say stick with what you have, again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Espada
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmb
nzmeerkat wrote:

Smaller and prettier. Treefrog format is very good because it seems like books. Size is a growing problem in games, because our shelves are limited and collections expand like a blob monster. Elegance is good, and I think square boxes are a trend for inducing to think of bloated content, when in many cases box is half empty without sense. They spreads over table when preparing the game, like square rule books.

Ergonomics and looks in only one decision. So little and so important in my book

Thank you for asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Square boxes usually mean the game has a board. Boards tend to be square, so boxes are made to fit them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Espada
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jedit wrote:
Square boxes usually mean the game has a board. Boards tend to be square, so boxes are made to fit them.

Twilight Struggle has a very big board. Look at the box format, please. In fact, all GMT BOARD games. Or all Treefrog BOARD games.

Greets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
davinci wrote:
Jedit wrote:

Twilight Struggle has a very big board. Look at the box format, please. In fact, all GMT BOARD games. Or all Treefrog BOARD games.

Greets.

A Study in Emerald 2E is square.

But you're not arguing against me. Saying that if a box is square the game probably has a board isn't saying that games without square boxes don't have boards. It's just a point of fact that most folding boards have square panels for ease of manufacture. In fact, looking at my shelf right now I can see half a dozen games with non-square boxes and square panelled boards, but only one that has a square box and a board with panels that aren't square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Singh
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This rather undermines the point of your initial blithe assertion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kelley
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nzmeerkat wrote:
Thanks for sharing your impressions.

We will address those niggles you found. We’re also working on making all the tokens and tiles feel more in tune with the 1930s look of the game as well as adding some more textures to the map.

Just a really little niggle, the squares used to denote cubes were flat rather than shaded or 3d which jarred with the rest of the design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
Box art is definitely great!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.