Komodo» Forums » Reviews

Subject: More than Conservation Carcasonne rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Peter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The Doctor will see you now
Whilst in New Zealand, I was keen to find a game that would act as a souvenir as well as be fun to play. I was thinking of a Lord of the Rings game, until I discovered Komodo.

In Komodo you and your fellow conservationists compete to house endangered animals native to the South Pacific, by creating enclosures of sufficient size and terrain for the animals in your hand. Up to 3 tiles can be placed each turn, matching at least one like terrain with an existing tile and, if possible, you can house one or both of your animals in suitable enclosures. A number of "Wild" cards can be played to do such things remodel the environment by moving a tile, swop animal cards with your opponents, or cause an opponent's animal to escape so you can steal their enclosure (and deprive them of the points for that animal until they rehouse it).

I played this with my 11 year old English son and my 7 year old kiwi niece and they loved it. The wild cards did have a bit of a "take that" feel to them, particularly the Animal Escape, but it encourages you to "protect" high value animals by using the tiles with a padlock icon, preventing others from moving them.

I particularly loved the choice of animals. They are all endangered animals native to the region that most European children would not have heard of. It is highly educational as well as being fun.

Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.