Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our family has found, so far, that with a competent Jack and a bit of luck, the investigators really have a difficult job in this game.

Apart from the bridges, there are very few (if any) chokepoints, and the fact that Jack can double back on himself, plus his six special moves, makes it very hard to set up a trap.

I wonder if any other players here can share insights on how to capture the fiend, including any spots that can act as useful checkpoints.

Otherwise, I am a little tempted to reduce the number of moves available to Jack...

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
One thing that is very important for the investigators is to count the number of moves made and make smart guesses as to where Jack could be.

Another thing that I find important is to make sure you look for clues on the spot that is least likely to contain them. Finding clues is a good thing, but eliminating other spots is equally important. It lets you count the number of moves more effectively and with less guessing/fewer possible paths.

No doubt about it, backtracking can be tough to deal with, but as you play more and understand the thinking of the bad guy, you'll have an idea when to stay put somewhere and catch the bad guy off guard, him having expected you would move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played about 30 times with different groups, mostly as a 2 player game. Jack wins only around 30%, usually playing against novices or when played by an experienced player.

The first priority for the police is to quickly narrow down the direction that Jack went from his first kill, using one or two of the police. You're probably not going to catch him prior to his second kill but by that point you should generally be right behind him.

Don't over-commit all three to one small area of the board at the start of the game, head the police toward the first kill but spread them out a bit so you can look for clues on possible paths while being able to quickly adjust once Jack's direction from the initial kill is determined.

There are quite a few bottlenecks/chokepoints, particularly in the bottom left and right, and upper right quadrants, beyond just the bridges. You can coordinate the position of the three police to box in and narrow Jack's options. He'll be able to use special movement to escape but often give away his location in doing so. Leading into the fourth kill, if you've been on Jack since the first, his coaches and alleys are probably gone (only two per game).

For initial setup, place the blue officer closer to the water. His special ability will allow him to cross or return from across the river quickly, useful if over-committed to the pursuit. Yellow should be central or on a faster route with Red placed on a more left placement. This will allow red to take advantage of his alley ability if necessary since there are two major alley blocks on that side of the board. Yellow can pull either of the other officers to an adjacent crossing and they still get their normal movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crestfallen wrote:
I've played about 30 times with different groups, mostly as a 2 player game. Jack wins only around 30%, usually playing against novices or when played by an experienced player.

Thanks. A 2 player game may, of course, be a little easier for the cops, as there isn't the coordination issue.

As a team of relatively coordinated investigators, we found there was a certain element of luck - and if you made the wrong unlucky guess (Princess Bride style mind games...) Jack would slip away without any trouble.

I assume there are strategies we have not thought of or properly employed, but we were really scratching our heads last time as to how we could have done a better job. It feels like Jack has many more tools!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.