Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phillip Wood
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

Like many, This is my favourite game and I never had the time or people available to play it as much as I wished. With the coming of the app, both problems have been solved. In the last 2 months, I’ve managed 60 games over all player counts. I’m learning new things every time. My record in 2p is far worse than at other player counts for whatever reason. In a recent 2p game, I was on the receiving end of a lot of early aggression. My opponent opened with Caesar and Colossus so I was on the back foot military wise the whole game (up until the below point). I had managed to stay close enough to defend a couple of aggressions but had taken a beating from events.

I would like to know what everyone would do in the below situation. It’s my turn. I can chooose to seed an event (or not). Then I need to lose the unhappy worker to the event revealed from my opponents previous turn (for those not familiar with the app - this is what the skull icon is for). Finally I need to take my turn. It felt like this was a bit of a turning point turn.

Some things of note....
It it my second turn in Age 2. Both Alchemies came very late (I picked mine up in my last turn in Age 1. I didn’t play/build it in for first Age 2 turn as I finished University instead. Another point to note - this is first turn since the very beginning of the game that I’m equal on military. Finally, the current event deck is largely unknown as I’ve not been seeding them in the hope I can catch up in military before I start triggering them.

I’d be interested in what everyone else would do in this situation. What is your reasoning for your choices.

I meant to post this before Christmas when this game finished and everything was still fresh in my mind but ...holidays happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
They've got cannons and strategy in hand. Youre close in culture and you've achieved military parity, don't let them charge back ahead and start beating you down again. Id rich land, then grab and play navigation and grab Napoleon. See the territory also and how it comes out before the end.

Alternately grab Napoleon and cavalry for when you replace Genghis.

Edit: didn't notice they had colossus and cartography, don't seed that territory even if you grab navigation heh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E_R S
msg tools
No political event, both you hold will only benefit your opponent, who is ahead on culture and has cartography.

Grab Napoleon, scientific method, and cavalry and don't worry about corruption. You will need to upgrade your philosophy sometime and with scientific method plus the university you can develop constitutional monarchy peacefully later if you can get it.

Before starting to write this, I didn't check to see if you were in disorder, but if you are clear it by populating/ disbanding and you get the needed CA by leaving cavalry on the track, in hopes of picking up another one later or cannon.

Eventually you need Napoleon plus either cavalry or cannon (preferably both) to challenge your opponent in military, which is the only way I see you winning in this situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking again, youre full on cards which is why rich land then taking and playing navigation and taking Napoleon works. Leaves you without cavalry but hopefully you can grab that or cannons shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Strik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Skip Politics (it might be a territory), or take your chances; maybe gain some food and increase your population to prevent an uprising.
Otherwise destroy a Philosphy (one less science is the best option to prevent an uprising).
Take & discover Justice System (increases CA and hand size, prevents corruption)
Take Navigation (to compete for colonies).
Take Napoleon (save him for later; keep producing culture with Genghis),
or take Scientific Method and wait for Constitutional Monarchy/Republic and/or Robespierre.
Play the Conquistadors tactic to gain 2 strength.
Discard the 2 Age I tactics.

Next turn(s) (depending on the card row):
Discover Navigation.
Take Organized Religion (prevents future happiness problems).
Take, discover & upgrade to Coal.
Upgrade to Irrigation or take Selective Breeding.
Discover & upgrade to Alchemy (or Scientific Method).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Wood
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI everyone....my hand was full so I needed to play something before I could take anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonas havreglid
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your biggest problem is that you are low on civil actions. It will be hard for you to take critical technologies and action cards. You never want to be on 4 actions if you can avoid it, especially not in 2-player.

Your second biggest problem is that you are low on population. An efficient happy source or some extra yellows are in order. Unless you find it you might need to disband your philosophy to get more military. You might need to push you opponent military and for that you need to get 2 conquistadores with genghis or a regular with napoleon asap.

The turn:

No political action unless you where rebellion is. You can probably win National pride but it is too risky atm.

- Rich Land: Ag-Irrigation. Useful and clears space.
- Pick and Play Justice system. Gives actions and solves corruption
- Pick Napoleon. The best leader in your situation as you neeed to catch up.
- Pick navigation. It will probably be useful for strngth and as a counter. You have too much science atm so you can spare the science or it. I do not know why you picked alchemy though. The point of the science wonders are that you do not need to invest so much in science.
- Play conquistadores. Having the strength lead for events is very useful and he is in no position to copy it.
- Keep the events and defense cards

I would have liked picking cavalrymen soo much but it is too expensive when at 4 civil actions.You only have 1 non-critical action left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tse
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like your opp is going for a colonizing strategy rather than a military strategy (playing Newton instead of Napo, cartography). Even tho he has Strategy and Cannon, he does not have enough science to cover the cost, in this case, I would:

1,2: Grab and Play Navigation
3,4: Grab and Play Justice System
5: Grab Sci Method.

Be prepared to take CM at all cost.

(I won't grab Alchemy if I have the University, not to mention the Library)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skip politics. Rebellion would be devastating, and you don't want to battle for colony right now.

You'll lose the free worker leaving an uprising, and your hand is full. (It's not due to LoA, modified answer below.)6

1. Take and discover Justice System (no more corruption, and get the must-have 5th CA, 3 CAs left)
2. Take and play Napoleon (2 CAs left, 9 strength: +2 Napo, -3 Phalanx)
3. Take Navigation (both strength and colonization will be useful, and you can afford the science, 1 CA left)
5. Disband Bronze mine (Prevent uprising, least useful thing to choose. No CA left)
6. Play Legion (11 str)
7. Pass, no need to discard, 5 MAs and LoA let you keep 6 cards.

Unless Rats happens, next turn increase population and you have the option to rebuild Bronze. That is not necessarily needed, you can live with yellows or try to upgrade to Coal. Discover Navigation to get 13 str and have good ability to colonize, esp. with military hand size of 6. You will miss the Cavalrymen and opponent can try to snipe the other copy, so there's some risk, but you just can't use 2 CAs for that this round. You should never skip Knights in duels, even with Genghis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not want to read other replies before giving my version, but now that I did, it seems the above answers did not take into account at least one of the following things:

1. The hand is full. There is no Library of Alexandria. Some card must be played before anything can be picked, forcing use of 1 CA
. (It's not full, the wonders are LoA and Universitas.)

2. There will be an uprising, because the population loss will return the free worker to bank and there will not be a free worker to cover the required happy face. Either a military unit or a worker must be disbanded. If the latter, that leaves only 2 CAs for the turn if you want to pick a card. That's why I chose Swordsmen.

Edit: I'll also add that picking such a late Alchemy was a mistake with Universitas Carolina AND Printing Press (late Alchemy with Universitas us still too redundant, esp. with low resource production and 4 CAs making it hard to upgrade).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Strik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Padish wrote:
There is no Library of Alexandria.
Yes there is.

Padish wrote:
AND Printing Press.
That's a Drama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markosalaplaya wrote:
Padish wrote:
There is no Library of Alexandria.
Yes there is.

Padish wrote:
AND Printing Press.
That's a Drama.

Wow, I thought it was Basilica, which looks somewhat the same. I rarely use Printing Press or Drama, so I just thought that given the culture and science production and happiness, the urban must be PP.

That said, it seems OP himself said his hand was full while it wasn't. It's easy to forget LoA's ability though.

Anyway, This info makes the turn much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Strik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Padish wrote:
Wow, I thought it was Basilica, which looks somewhat the same. I rarely use Printing Press or Drama, so I just thought that given the culture and science production and happiness, the urban must be PP.
The production would be the same, indeed.

Padish wrote:
That said, it seems OP himself said his hand was full while it wasn't.
He sure did.

Padish wrote:
It's easy to forget LoA's ability though.
It has happened to me. Too often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Strik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Woodenman wrote:
FYI everyone....my hand was full so I needed to play something before I could take anything.

No, it wasn't. Because of Library of Alexandria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Maloof

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
I would definitely play an event, probably Pride, but nothing wrong with Vast + take Navigation. Sure, Rebellion would be bad, but Uncertain Borders, Foray, Good Harvest, or a won colony would all mitigate the happiness issue, so I think it's easily worth the risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Wood
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I did say that. Oops. I don’t think I had it in the original post but then someone mentioned it in a reply and it seemed like something important to say so I added it. I do remember it being a problem when I was trying out different things for my turn.

It seems the majority of you would not play an event at this time. I eventually decided to do so although I can’t remember which one I seeded. The revealed event was, I think, Rebellion. Something that cost me 2 ca’s per unhappy worker anyway.

Given that, I think I disbanded something (A mine I think) to prevent an uprising and took something from the row (JS possibly)

New discussion points...

1) Several people mentioned that they would not have picked up Alchemy in this situation. Which seems correct to me (now). Would you skip Alchemy with just Library or just University? Would it matter if the Alchemy came early?

2) At what point to people go after happiness? Early on I don’t generally build temples unless i’ve got an unhappy person and resources I want to spend to avoid corruption. I generally aim for Age 2 happiness techs but occasionally suffer from events which check for unhappy workers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woodenman wrote:
New discussion points...

1) Several people mentioned that they would not have picked up Alchemy in this situation. Which seems correct to me (now). Would you skip Alchemy with just Library or just University? Would it matter if the Alchemy came early?

2) At what point to people go after happiness? Early on I don’t generally build temples unless i’ve got an unhappy person and resources I want to spend to avoid corruption. I generally aim for Age 2 happiness techs but occasionally suffer from events which check for unhappy workers.

1) In this situation you were low on resource production and CAs. Skipping Alchemy saves both and is very reasonable with Universitas alone, and you also had LoA. Generally it could be OK to take Alchemy with both or either of these wonders if there was nothing else to pick or waiting to be improved. But I'd prefer many other cards than Alchemy even with just LoA.

With late Alchemy you need to think if it would be better to wait for Scientific Method instead, which not only produces more but also sets you up for early Bill Gates and Sid Meier. Late Alchemy is OK if you get it upgraded on the same or the following turn.

2) If you don't get any happiness from wonders or haven't colonized Historic Territory or any of the yellow token colonies, you likely will tie up two workers sitting on happy faces (or generating just one happiness in Religion/Drama) when age II begins. This usually means one fewer military unit and you risk being the weakest. Rebellion also hits hard with two discontent workers. I try to avoid this and will pick Theology or Bread&Circuses when I can do so. Usually they drop to 1 CA range with any player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tse
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woodenman wrote:
New discussion points...

1. I may skip Alchemy if I have LoA, but I prefer to skip it if I have UC. TTA is always a game about balance, the extra science production in A1 does no good to me, so the effort is better spent on other developments. Jumping to Scientific Method would be much stronger.

2. Basically same as you, that's why I prefer to get happiness without spending too many workers (Homer/St. Peters/etc.) I would pay attention to it only when I seeded related events. It sometimes hurts but I believe generally it pays off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E_R S
msg tools
1. I like the combination of Alchemy, Library, University, and Leo. You can pretty mcuh research whatever you want and get Leo's production boost. But without Leo if you have either of the two wonders, Alchemy is pretty much a don't have anything better to do with the CA pick. The Library is basically a printing press and the University pretty much journalism. The printing press and journalism are perfectly fine substitutes for alchemy and scientific method, at the costs of slightly less science per turn and you can't upgrade and have to tie up another worker, the latter not an issue with the wonders.

2. I pay attention to the happiness of my workers when they are about to revolt, not otherwise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woodenman wrote:

if the cards fall right i'll lean into happiness early from wonders and homer, then try to grab either irrigation+barbarossa for a military blitz (dont need to lean into happiness too hard here, but you definitely need at least some happiness to get 6 age 1 military units out. 6 swordsmen, legion, and great wall is a pretty spicy age 1 military, and you can upgrade it through to the end of the game and be solid unless another play goes nuclear on you) or michaelangelo for an early culture push. if neither of those line up i don't tend to worry about it until things get bad (generally the changeover to age 2).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.