Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Kaspar
Czech Republic
Srnojedy
Pardubický kraj
flag msg tools
Hello,
I played my first game few days ago in 3 players. Rules semms too complicated so we removed oracle to simplify it and reduced winner conditions to 3 lvl4 cities. Even with those modifications we played it 3+ hours. At the end we had problem to progress any further and only way we ended game was conqering three neutral cities.

I cant imagine to explain all rules to new group again. Is there any easy rules variant there? Or some quicker game variant?

I would like to teach it my 11 year old daughter, my wife and my 14 year old son to play it as family game, but I'm affraid that it will be too difficult with all rules and maybe 4+ hours of play with official wining conditions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Pacześ
Poland
Puszczykowo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. Seems like you got some rules wrong. The game is quite quick actually. With 4 players it can easily take no more than 1,5-2 hours. Oracle is big tedious first play. But it is just maintenance step that takes few seconds. There are few things that people new to this game find hard to do.
1. Size of deck - if you let it grow like 25-30+ size then You are loosing time and opportunities. In decks of that size all is random and it takes ages to get bonus draws (with color optimization).
2. Color of cards - sometimes 1-2 stronger units are necessary to get some artifacts. If you do not get cards that let you change colors to your desired one - it will again harm your draw power in long run.
3. Conquering first city is easily done in a few rounds. But you need to know why you want to conquer it. Quick lord is nice... but until middle game all you need it for is card that lets you upgrade units. Apart from that it is just strong melee card without other synergies.

So here are my tips for first ten or so rounds.
1. Get 2-3 commanders (lvl2 warrior) so you can buy weapon and summon your heroes.
2. Get asap 1-2 scrolls that let you change colors of your cards.
3. Buy roads to first neutral city.
4. Once you conquer it - get title that lets you promote cards.

Then go for end game.
5. Throw the cards you don’t need anymore in limbo. Thin your deck to 12 -15 cards. Win . Easy as pie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Kaspar
Czech Republic
Srnojedy
Pardubický kraj
flag msg tools
We tried it again in three players and again it took almost 4 hours. I think that it is big problem with this game. I love it, but it need official quick variant. It is too complicated and slow for family play. I bought also Stormgate expansion hoping, that there will be some quicker variants or scenarios for beginners. But expansion make it even complex game which is good but problem is teach new players basic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you wanted it to go quicker, you could try to modify the starting decks. That way, it would increase your power faster. You could also have each player place a starting road or two. There are lots of things that you could try out.

I guess that it also might be worth asking: what is making the game go so long? Do people keep taking cities from each other and nobody can hold anything to solidify victory? Are you always winning by level 4 cities or by also filling the map with roads?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.