9 Posts

Scythe: The Wind Gambit» Forums » General

Subject: How do you feel about the airships? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Persson
Denmark
flag msg tools
So now that the expansion has been out for a little while, I was wondering what people felt about the airships?

In spite of Scythe being one of my favorite games, I have held off on getting this expansion, since I feel that the game is already packed with stuff and I fear that adding something like the airships might make the game feel bloated.

I have had this experience before where an expansion ruins the elegance of a game and purely from looking at it, I am afraid that it might be the same case here.

The resolution tiles I like a lot more, but they don't seem like enough to buy a whole expansion for.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Vitroler
Austria
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
They are awesome. I don't have to build mechs asap now and mechs enter the center of the board much faster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Cook
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a lot of extra rules, very smooth. I wouldn't be afraid to introduce them the first game even. I think they add a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't find that the airships bog down the game. They are quite simple to use and add a fair bit of new tactical strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
They definitely don't add much in terms of rules overhead, and man oh man do they look cool hovering over the board! I was impressed by the shadows they cast when I first played with them. Great visual appeal. I have struggled a bit to fit some of the realistic resource tokens on board the airships, though -- three food was difficult to do without some creative storing of cargo.

The assorted powers are very cool and I'm looking forward to learning what strategies emerge from different combinations. So far none of the abilities strike me as anything less than intriguing.

For what it's worth I've only used them in two-player games so far, and in those they have not proved terribly decisive. The passive abilities we drew (Reap and Hero) were both helpful in getting things off to a good start, but then the other assets available to us became more pressing. I think the airships are really going to shine on a more crowded map -- the first game our airships had Toll as their other ability, and just the thought of five or six players all blocking and extorting one another definitely put a smile on my face. Certainly eager to keep exploring -- but at lower player counts so far my impression is "Oh, that's pretty cool," and not, "How could I have ever played without these!?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly think this is one of the best designed expansions, ever. The airships are a very neat add, that as others have said, allow you to forgoe building a mine or mechs if you want to reach the center with your workers, depending upon the abilities in play.

In my last game with the expansion (where I also taught the game to two new players who didn't guess that the airships were "bolted on") we had the war ability where airships can engage in combats. I actually won the game by winning two airship battles (for the stars) and never actually building a single mech.

More than the airships, though, for me the resolution tiles are a must-play with (though to be clear, I probably won't ever play without the airships either). The only, only issue I had with base Scythe was that I did not personally enjoy how the game ended immediately on someone gaining their sixth star. I realized why it was the design choice made, there was just something psychologically frustrating about it to me and it was the only mark on an otherwise perfect game. The resolution tile that I will now probably always play with is called Mission Possible (I think) and gives everyone access to two group objectives that can be completed (in addition to a personal one) for stars. After someone reaches their sixth star everyone else gets a final turn. This small difference makes the game so much better for me.

I cannot recommend this expansion enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Chesnut
msg tools
I'm a little less enthusiastic than others here about them, but I'd still say it's a good expansion.

The airships allow for different early game strategies. For the first time ever, I never had my character leave my starting area and I didn't build mechs till near the end of the game. I still did well because I was able to utilize workers far better than before (Reap helped a lot). Without airships it's a strategy I'd never try.

That said, no one wants to build the mine now at all, mechs are coming out much later, combat is happening even less than ever. We saw as many strategies disappear as were added (in our group).

For now, I give it a tentative 8 (I gave Invaders a 10). It makes Scythe feel fresh, which gets it to the table again. But I also don't find myself actually enjoying the game more like I did with Invaders (Albion and Togawa are my favorite factions to play).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanted to say how much I love the airships. Finally got a chance to play with them & they really do look so amazing on the board. Love the endgame alterations as well.

One of the abilities we had was where the airships trade resources for extra units in a fight. Very cool!

Thanks Jamey & co!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played twice with airships, 2P and 3P. In both games, they had little to no impact, and it often felt like a waste of a turn to move them (especially the one game where they had 1 space of movement). I see lots of mentions of how useful they are just for moving workers early, but we had the ability to transport resources both times, which is not, from what I can tell, inherently all that useful.

I'm interested to try them with a worker-transporting ability before considering trading/selling it, but even then I'm worried that'll take away some of what makes the swimming faction special (whichever one has workers that can cross rivers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.