BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Warren building up the War Chest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/367020-warren-has-raised-...

Leading the pack right now in campaign cash, how effective she will be remains to be determined, but I strongly suspect she will be in the presidential race in 2020.

Bottom of article lists the top contenders in the Dem field; Booker, Sanders, Harris, and Biden. Adding her name to the hat, and you have 5 right there. And there will be others. I suspect the Dem field will be huge in 2020, and oddly enough, depending on Trumps future success, there may be few contenders on the Pub side in 2020. Although if he tanks further, there could be a huge lot, wanting to take his place. It will be interesting to see who wants to take the mantle from him, assuming he wants to run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
I am wondering if the Democratic Party can avoid the laughable "clown car" effect of a huge field of primary challengers. With Hillary out to pasture, I don't see why every Democrat with even a whiff of name recognition wouldn't get in on this potential gravy train.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That will be the case, I think. Without one solid 'goto' contender, the field will be wide open, and large. Many may fade quickly after Iowa and New Hampshire, but nonetheless, the field will be large. I suspect even Tom Steyer, the billionaire running the Trump impeachment call, may run.

I am more curious to see what happens on the Pub side, and how many will challenge the Trump mystique. Early indications are he will run, since he has already filed the paperwork, I believe. And he has already campaigned for the 2020 job opening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
What stops, or allows, huge fields in primaries is fundraising. That's an area where Democrats and Republicans have very different ways of working. It would not surprise me if Important People (TM) in the Democratic party don't do some work at shrinking the field a little, especially when it comes to people that aren't coming from an existing public office, like Kander. Is it better for the party if he runs for president, or as a strong candidate congress in Missouri's second congressional district?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure the DNC will work behind the scenes to remove everyone who might be attractive to the voters and not their donors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
hibikir wrote:
It would not surprise me if Important People (TM) in the Democratic party don't do some work at shrinking the field a little, especially when it comes to people that aren't coming from an existing public office, like Kander.
You're not wrong, but the Democratic Party is traditionally a "big tent" party, so you could have challengers arriving from differing parts of the Democratic body (Black Lives Matter candidates, LGBT candidates, pro-environmental candidates, anti-banking candidates, "Blue Dog Democrat" candidates, etc.) and if one of these catches on, it could turn the heads of the moneymen in ways they didn't expect.

Contrasted with the typical Conservative litmus test administered to all Republican candidates, at least with the DNC you get a wider panoply of views, and the possibility of a truly different array of candidate approaches (rather than "Conservative Bonafides Rank #2" vs. "Conservative Bonafides Rank #7" stuff.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/367020-warren-has-raised-...

Leading the pack right now in campaign cash, how effective she will be remains to be determined, but I strongly suspect she will be in the presidential race in 2020.

Bottom of article lists the top contenders in the Dem field; Booker, Sanders, Harris, and Biden. Adding her name to the hat, and you have 5 right there. And there will be others. I suspect the Dem field will be huge in 2020, and oddly enough, depending on Trumps future success, there may be few contenders on the Pub side in 2020. Although if he tanks further, there could be a huge lot, wanting to take his place. It will be interesting to see who wants to take the mantle from him, assuming he wants to run.

Seriously doubt there will be any serious challengers to The Donald. The GOP primary voter profile favors his type of insane bigotry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Warren is doomed for the ready-made nonsense dismissal. She "lied" about her ancestry. It only takes one small meme to destroy a democrat, "but-her-emails", "flip-flopper", "Pocahontas".

Quote:
You’re very very special people. You were here long before any of us were here. Although we have a representative in Congress who they say was here a long time ago. They call her Pocahontas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
TOO OLD!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Warren is doomed for the ready-made nonsense dismissal. She "lied" about her ancestry. It only takes one small meme to destroy a democrat, "but-her-emails", "flip-flopper", "Pocahontas".

Quote:
You’re very very special people. You were here long before any of us were here. Although we have a representative in Congress who they say was here a long time ago. They call her Pocahontas.

I am guessing that you feel the charge against her here is nonsense?

and I really hate the charge of to old - I get why it is said, but I think with a solid VP (say Booker) you can mitigate much of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
dkearns wrote:

Quote:

and I really hate the charge of to old - I get why it is said, but I think with a solid VP (say Booker) you can mitigate much of that.

She's too old to be President. She'll be 71 if she wins the election. The goal should always be to have a two-term president and she'd be like 79 if she was President for 8 years. There are both physical and mental limitations as one ages. Granted, this varies by individual, but I don't want a job that important held by someone that doesn't have the requisite energy and health.

Also, it's not at all mitigated by a young running mate. The VP has no real power.

Further, nobody is going to get energized by these old fossils running.

FFS, will these people just stand aside and let someone younger run for once?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
She's too old to be President. She'll be 71 if she wins the election. The goal should always be to have a two-term president and she'd be like 79 if she was President for 8 years. There are both physical and mental limitations as one ages. Granted, this varies by individual, but I don't want a job that important held by someone that doesn't have the requisite energy and health.

Also, it's not at all mitigated by a young running mate. The VP has no real power.

This is hard for me - I get what you are saying - chances go up significantly as folks hit their 70s of mental/physical breakdown - but there are significant numbers who can perform well into their 90s. Why should Warren sacrifice her dreams if she feels she can do it?

Now if she has doubts or has health issues she is not telling anyone about - different story.

Regarding someone who is younger - yea, Pelosi and the Clintons did a damn good job of sucking the oxygen out from the next dem generation and the Bench is pretty thin - but I do anticipate in the next 2-3 years (especially if Pelosi's health suffers) to see a renaissance in the Democratic Bench - may not be in time for 2020 - but by 2024, there will be lots of new blood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
dkearns wrote:

Quote:

I haven't seen any evidence that she exploited her own perception of ancestry, no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:

I haven't seen any evidence that she exploited her own perception of ancestry, no.

Then you have not looked very hard

The most charitable interpretation would be that she did not actively promote herself as a minority, but was happy to use it when others promoted her as one. Illegal no. Immoral, yea, I think you could argue as such.

At a minimum, she should have corrected Harvard when they started to promote here as a minority candidate - especially when her only evidence was "high cheekbones" and "family legends"

Should this disqualify her from high office - only if she actively lied to promote herself - and there I agree with you, I don't believe there is any evidence she did. I do feel her credibility takes a hit when it was proven she plagiarized others recipes for submission in "Pow Wow Chow"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
Sue_G wrote:

This is hard for me - I get what you are saying - chances go up significantly as folks hit their 70s of mental/physical breakdown - but there are significant numbers who can perform well into their 90s. Why should Warren sacrifice her dreams if she feels she can do it?

Now if she has doubts or has health issues she is not telling anyone about - different story.

Regarding someone who is younger - yea, Pelosi and the Clintons did a damn good job of sucking the oxygen out from the next dem generation and the Bench is pretty thin - but I do anticipate in the next 2-3 years (especially if Pelosi's health suffers) to see a renaissance in the Democratic Bench - may not be in time for 2020 - but by 2024, there will be lots of new blood.

It's the worst thing that can happen with the Democrats. Same thing if Bernie or Biden run (particularly Biden). Millennials aren't going to be enthused by any of them except maybe Bernie. The Dems need someone to energize the base and not just again assume that the turnout will be there based on hating Trump. I mean, that obviously helps, but run someone younger. I'd rather see Booker or Kamala Harris or anyone else really. The bench is simply unknown, not unoccupied. Maybe one day the country will be ready for a gay President, and if so, Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Indiana would be on everyone's short list. And so on. These people won't become better known until people like Warren and Biden stop sucking the air out of the room with their entrenched positions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
dkearns wrote:

The most charitable interpretation would be that she did not actively promote herself as a minority, but was happy to use it when others promoted her as one. Illegal no. Immoral, yea, I think you could argue as such.

At a minimum, she should have corrected Harvard when they started to promote here as a minority candidate - especially when her only evidence was "high cheekbones" and "family legends"

Should this disqualify her from high office - only if she actively lied to promote herself - and there I agree with you, I don't believe there is any evidence she did. I do feel her credibility takes a hit when it was proven she plagiarized others recipes for submission in "Pow Wow Chow"

Sigh. It's a pretty pathetic criticism if that's all the GOP can come up with. It's kind of ancient news at this point.

Not to mention, it makes the GOP sound like racist douchebags when they chant Pocahontas (especially if they do it front of a picture of Andrew Jackson while honoring some Navajo code talkers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
dkearns wrote:

... she actively lied to promote herself - and there I agree with you, I don't believe there is any evidence she did.

Utrecht wrote:
I do feel her credibility takes a hit when it was proven she plagiarized others recipes for submission in "Pow Wow Chow"

I've never heard of the Pow Wow Chow "scandal" before but this is the kind of trivial nonsense that can kill a democrat but not a republican.

The Donald claims to have written the "Art of the Deal".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Utrecht wrote:
dkearns wrote:

... she actively lied to promote herself - and there I agree with you, I don't believe there is any evidence she did.

Utrecht wrote:
I do feel her credibility takes a hit when it was proven she plagiarized others recipes for submission in "Pow Wow Chow"

I've never heard of the Pow Wow Chow "scandal" before but this is the kind of trivial nonsense that can kill a democrat but not a republican.

The Donald claims to have written the "Art of the Deal".

I had to google it. She should probably be roundly mocked for naming the book that to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
Seriously doubt there will be any serious challengers to The Donald. The GOP primary voter profile favors his type of insane bigotry.

More people want him impeached than reelected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
Utrecht wrote:
dkearns wrote:

Sigh. It's a pretty pathetic criticism if that's all the GOP can come up with. It's kind of ancient news at this point.

Not to mention, it makes the GOP sound like racist douchebags when they chant Pocahontas (especially if they do it front of a picture of Andrew Jackson while honoring some Navajo code talkers).

Yea, can't see the Pocohontas rhetoric being any kind of showstopper. Let's not forget that a sexual assaulter (as accused by multiple women) currently occupies the White House.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:

My only point here was that many people venerate Warren as a near saint - she is not and to pretend like this is a complete nothing burger is willful ignorance. She (like pretty much any human alive) exploited an opportunity - totally not hard to fault her for that. Unfortunately politics plays by a different set of rules than "real life" or even academia.

We on the this board may feel it is fairly weak sauce - but it may not be to the blue collars out there.

Personally, I think that Warren would be better served as being one of the elder statesmen of the party and drive the agenda (which she has been VERY successful at).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
TOO OLD!

Absolutely. I heard some American talking-head on the radio saying that the Dems have only really done well with youngish (40s and early 50s) non-sitting candidates in Presidential elections. JFK 44, Carter 53, Clinton 46, Obama 48 even if you go back FDR was 51.

The only two outliers were Truman and LBJ who initially made President without being elected.

As compared to Republicans who have only had George W. Bush as their only winning candidate in their 50s (or younger) since Nixon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
I think with a solid VP (say Booker)

Just push Booker instead. I wouldn't mind someone flipping the script and having the older candidate being the one who ends up being the VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Al Franken in 2020!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mb
If Warren were 10 years younger... But yep, I was opposed to Clinton and Sanders and I'm opposed to Biden running (and it was just one of many problems I have with Trump) - so, sorry Senator. Don't run; campaign for the Democrats and maybe take a cabinet seat if a Dem wins in 2020.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.