Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Chen
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. When entombing a card, does it still need to follow alphabetical order? Example of top shelf: ABFG. If I have an H, I can entomb it under ONLY the G right? The rules say placing under or over a previously shelved card (sounds like I can place it under ANY shelved card). So can a C card be entombed in the above example?

2. Do entombed cards count toward number of shelved cards to trigger Final Round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The rules also note that entombed cards are turned upside down. Only right side up cards matter for the alphabet check.

2) This is not an official ruling, but I have been treating "entomb" and "shelve" as separate keywords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Chen
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply! The confusing part of the mummy's description is "When the mummy shelves a card..." which makes it sound that you have to legally shelve first before entombing that card. So you're saying I can place a card from my hand under any card in the library?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Chen
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OH, never mind! Just realized that shelving doesn't require for them to be alphabetical. So the shelved card can be entombed under any card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P. McIver
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaschen wrote:
1. When entombing a card, does it still need to follow alphabetical order? Example of top shelf: ABFG. If I have an H, I can entomb it under ONLY the G right? The rules say placing under or over a previously shelved card (sounds like I can place it under ANY shelved card). So can a C card be entombed in the above example?

1. As you mentioned above, shelving doesn't have to be done alphabetically during the game, you just want your books in order by the end of the game to count for scoring. Therefore, you can entomb a card anywhere in your bookshelf that a card already exists!

chaschen wrote:
2. Do entombed cards count toward number of shelved cards to trigger Final Round?

2. This is a tricky one - the answer is yes and no, but mostly no. An entombed card is technically only a face-down card underneath a shelved card, not a shelved card itself. In the case where the card on top is removed or discarded, the entombed card then becomes a regular face down shelved card, at which point it would count toward the Final Round trigger (BUT it won't award you extra points with the Mummy's ability).

(This was a great question, I'll make sure to add it to the FAQ as soon as I get a free moment!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Kempinski
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So would you have a stack of four cards then? Three shelved cards and the entombed one underneath the three that are part of your complete shelf?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P. McIver
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, I'm not following your question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Kempinski
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I'm trying to understand the placement of an entombed card. Is it simply a card that is turned over underneath a shelved card or is a turned over card under the completed shelf?

SC SC SC
SC SC SC SC
SC EC SC SC

or

SC SC SC
SC SC SC SC
SC SC SC SC
EC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Kempinski
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Wait - the entombed card is actually behind the shelved card right? I think I'm overthinking things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
When the rules say the entombed card is "underneath" a shelved card, it means literally underneath the card, not merely "below" it in your tableau. You should not be able to see an entombed card because a shelved card is directly on top of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P. McIver
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, I see what was going on there. Dustin is correct!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamilla Jay
msg tools
How can I entomb a card? And, what does it mean – entomed cards?

How many cards can be in one stack?
What's the point of having, for example, three cards one under another?

I think I don't get Mummy's power now.

If I shelve a card over an already shelved card should they both be turned face down? And, if I shelve a card underneath an already shelved card should they both be turned face down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamilla wrote:
How can I entomb a card? And, what does it mean – entomed cards?

By placing 1 card either on top of or beneath an existing card in your bookshelf. When you do this, flip face down the card that is now on the bottom of this 2-card stack.

Kamilla wrote:
How many cards can be in one stack?
What's the point of having, for example, three cards one under another?

Maximum of 2 cards in one stack — this is made explicit in the description of the Mummy's power on page 16 of the rulebook.

Kamilla wrote:
If I shelve a card over an already shelved card should they both be turned face down? And, if I shelve a card underneath an already shelved card should they both be turned face down?

No. You only flip the bottom card face down when entombing a card this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamilla Jay
msg tools
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Friedman
United States
Missoula
MT
flag msg tools
Adam,

My son just bought himself (us) Ex Libris for his birthday and we found our first game play really fun!

It looks like clever thinking about powers can be really effective (as in many games where combinations make the difference between decent and excellent game play). Given this, I'd be grateful if you (or another forum poster) could clarify two things that we wondered about:

1) The simple question(s). Mummy doubling. Does the "doubling" effect of the mummy only count in scoring for the most stable shelving category or does it count in some other way as well? If he chose/had to flip any doubled cards (where one had been entombed) at the end to help with alphabetizing, does the doubling still count for stable shelving (or other effects)?

Here was our interpretation: If he had a three by four stable array with 5 entombed cards among them, he scored 12 for the array and 5 more for the extra stability. No other bonus there, but that was good. And, for any entombed cards that he subsequently flipped the top card on (due to alphabetizing issues), he only scored one for stability, not two.

2) The harder(?) question. Mummy and Tax Collector. In round 5 or 6, my son had acquired quite a few cards in his hand and a meager bookshelf when the tax collector appeared. He grinned and played there. I put my one card in and he placed his entire hand. He then returned one card of his choice to the tax collector and began shelving every one of his cards - either in the normal fashion or "entombed" by the mummy, giving him a shelf of well over 16 cards. This essentially forced me to do the same on my subsequent move to have a chance to shelve as many cards as I could. On my turn, he did not put a card into the tax collector as he had none, but I did pick up the one he had left there from his turn and then discarded one. His huge play triggered the final round (which I tried valiantly to catch up on) and led to his victory. Did we play the tax collector and mummy correctly there?

Many thanks and looking forward to playing the other special characters. My very cute gelatinous cube excelled in cuteness, but was pretty ineffective in our two-player game. Still, super cute though!

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Bourgeois
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
grfriedman wrote:
Adam,

... 2) The harder(?) question. Mummy and Tax Collector. In round 5 or 6, my son had acquired quite a few cards in his hand and a meager bookshelf when the tax collector appeared. He grinned and played there. I put my one card in and he placed his entire hand. He then returned one card of his choice to the tax collector and began shelving every one of his cards - either in the normal fashion or "entombed" by the mummy, giving him a shelf of well over 16 cards. This essentially forced me to do the same on my subsequent move to have a chance to shelve as many cards as I could. On my turn, he did not put a card into the tax collector as he had none, but I did pick up the one he had left there from his turn and then discarded one. His huge play triggered the final round (which I tried valiantly to catch up on) and led to his victory. Did we play the tax collector and mummy correctly there?

First about the 2nd question, in the English rules it is stated : "First, in turn order, each opponent must discard one card from their hand or library face up to the tax collector’s card area."

The term MUST here is important as well as "one card from their hand or library". If your opponent didn't have a card in his hand, he MUST remove one from his Library and put it in the tax collector's area.

Second, I came across the same scenario where I had a plenty of cards in my hands and I've done the same thing. I found this location a quite overpowered in the game. So I was asking the same question, "Do I doing it right ?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P. McIver
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grfriedman wrote:
Adam,

My son just bought himself (us) Ex Libris for his birthday and we found our first game play really fun!

Awesome! So glad you all enjoyed it! Hopefully I can clear up your questions (sorry for the delay).

grfriedman wrote:
1) The simple question(s). Mummy doubling. Does the "doubling" effect of the mummy only count in scoring for the most stable shelving category or does it count in some other way as well? If he chose/had to flip any doubled cards (where one had been entombed) at the end to help with alphabetizing, does the doubling still count for stable shelving (or other effects)?

To clarify this, don't think of the Mummy's power as "doubling" - an entombed card is worth 2 points regardless of if the card on top of it is face up or flipped, and whether or not the card above it is part of your shelf stability bonus. Since there's not a line on the Inspection Form for the Mummy's entombed points, you combine them with your stability bonus.

Using the example you gave, a fully-stable shelf that is 3 rows tall and 4 columns wide would score him 12 points, the 5 entombed cards would score him 10 points (2 points each), and you would write the combined total of 22 points on line B1: Survey Shelf Stability Bonuses. The result would be the same if any of the top cards are flipped.

grfriedman wrote:
2) The harder(?) question. Mummy and Tax Collector. In round 5 or 6, my son had acquired quite a few cards in his hand and a meager bookshelf when the tax collector appeared. He grinned and played there. I put my one card in and he placed his entire hand. He then returned one card of his choice to the tax collector and began shelving every one of his cards - either in the normal fashion or "entombed" by the mummy, giving him a shelf of well over 16 cards. This essentially forced me to do the same on my subsequent move to have a chance to shelve as many cards as I could. On my turn, he did not put a card into the tax collector as he had none, but I did pick up the one he had left there from his turn and then discarded one. His huge play triggered the final round (which I tried valiantly to catch up on) and led to his victory. Did we play the tax collector and mummy correctly there?

It sounds like the Tax Collector was played incorrectly. If your son activated it, each of his opponents would discard a single card to the Tax Collector's card area. He wouldn't have put any cards there himself. After all of his opponents had discarded, he could then have discarded cards to take and shelve the same number of cards from the Tax Collector's card area. If you were his only opponent, he could have only discarded one card to take/shelve the one card you contributed to the Tax Collector.

Hope that clears up all your issues!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Bourgeois
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Adam, for me, it's ok about the tax collector. I played it wrong whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.