Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Tao Long: The Way of the Dragon» Forums » Rules

Subject: About Focus and Balance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kronecker Delta
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1) What if the configuration for Focus or Balance was triggered in a previous turn and not at the current turn, do you still apply its effect?

2) In Solo variant, if the "opponent" cannot perform the action, he will still not take damage?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KroneckerDelta wrote:
1) What if the configuration for Focus or Balance was triggered in a previous turn and not at the current turn, do you still apply its effect?

Good question: I would think it's only triggered in the moment that the configuration appears.

KroneckerDelta wrote:
2) In Solo variant, if the "opponent" cannot perform the action, he will still not take damage?

Correct.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kronecker Delta
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
zefquaavius wrote:
[q="KroneckerDelta"]1) What if the configuration for Focus or Balance was triggered in a previous turn and not at the current turn, do you still apply its effect?

Good question: I would think it's only triggered in the moment that the configuration appears.

Extreme situation: In that case, if all of the stones are in one space, the only Focus that'll apply is the color of the last stone you place?


Quote:
KroneckerDelta wrote:
2) In Solo variant, if the "opponent" cannot perform the action, he will still not take damage?

Correct.

Oh I was thinking of the possible damage of an "opponent" in Solo variant from Focus and Balance. No damage still?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KroneckerDelta wrote:
1) What if the configuration for Focus or Balance was triggered in a previous turn and not at the current turn, do you still apply its effect?


Can you give an example of how it would be triggered in a previous turn?
Normally, once it triggers, you carry out that effect before moving on to the Matter phase. So it's pretty much 'immediate'.

2) Yea, he just ignores that movement all together. Doesn't take damage, doesn't move. My first solo game I didn't know this rule and thought I was doing VERY well forcing the enemy to kill himself
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kronecker Delta
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
KroneckerDelta wrote:
1) What if the configuration for Focus or Balance was triggered in a previous turn and not at the current turn, do you still apply its effect?


Can you give an example of how it would be triggered in a previous turn?
Normally, once it triggers, you carry out that effect before moving on to the Matter phase. So it's pretty much 'immediate'.



For example, all 4 black bagua stones and 3 white bagua stones are in one spot, and there's a white bagua stone adjacent to it. White has to be placed in that spot.
Quote:


2) Yea, he just ignores that movement all together. Doesn't take damage, doesn't move. My first solo game I didn't know this rule and thought I was doing VERY well forcing the enemy to kill himself


Welp!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KroneckerDelta wrote:
For example, all 4 black bagua stones and 3 white bagua stones are in one spot, and there's a white bagua stone adjacent to it. White has to be placed in that spot.

Oh, I see, you triggered the effect in a previous round, and the conditions for it are still active in the current round (ie. 4 like stones are still in a column after moving other stones). I don't believe it would be activated again since it already resolved last round. If you place that 4th white stone on the tower, you'd only activate the effect for the white dragon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Laporte Trombini (Pedro Latro)
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
designer
www.octo.studio
badge
We are the Tao.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KroneckerDelta wrote:
Quote:
zefquaavius wrote:
[q="KroneckerDelta"]1) What if the configuration for Focus or Balance was triggered in a previous turn and not at the current turn, do you still apply its effect?

Good question: I would think it's only triggered in the moment that the configuration appears.

Extreme situation: In that case, if all of the stones are in one space, the only Focus that'll apply is the color of the last stone you place?


Quote:
KroneckerDelta wrote:
2) In Solo variant, if the "opponent" cannot perform the action, he will still not take damage?

Correct.

Oh I was thinking of the possible damage of an "opponent" in Solo variant from Focus and Balance. No damage still?


Indeed, if all stones end up in one space, the only Focus that happens at that moment is that of the last stone that landed (the other Focus happened some turns before for sure though)

Also - and this is important, as nobody has mentioned it here yet - in solo variant the "opponent" DOES take damage for not being able to perform am action indicated by a Focus effect. It just ignores without penalty the actions he cannot perform due to spirit phases.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kronecker Delta
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh thanks for the clarification!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I. M.
msg tools
I've a question regarding balance.
Let's say there is one white stone one each of the main spots, but there are, for instance, 2 black stones on water. Would the balance effect trigger for the white dragon? Or must the main spaces be occupied by a single stone of the same color?
Thanks in advance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gurab wrote:
I've a question regarding balance.
Let's say there is one white stone one each of the main spots, but there are, for instance, 2 black stones on water. Would the balance effect trigger for the white dragon? Or must the main spaces be occupied by a single stone of the same color?
Thanks in advance.

As long as the 4 stones on the 4 main spots are placed appropriately, it doesn't matter how many other stones are on those spots, or any other spot, the balance still takes effect.

I think that's what you were asking?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I. M.
msg tools
Braffe wrote:
gurab wrote:
I've a question regarding balance.
Let's say there is one white stone one each of the main spots, but there are, for instance, 2 black stones on water. Would the balance effect trigger for the white dragon? Or must the main spaces be occupied by a single stone of the same color?
Thanks in advance.

As long as the 4 stones on the 4 main spots are placed appropriately, it doesn't matter how many other stones are on those spots, or any other spot, the balance still takes effect.

I think that's what you were asking?


Yup,that was it. Thankyou.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.