Subject: Question on Harvest action rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Gravel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

The rules say that when you take the harvest action, you may put some of your fields into your granary to get 5 rice. It also tells you you could leave some and keep them not harvested (even shown in the example). Here is my question : Why would you not harvest all fields? Is there any potential benefit to leaving it not harvested? Do you lose extra rice at cleanup? If not, why not harvest it all and hold on to the rice?

Thank you for helping me clear that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugues Richard
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
What matters in life is not the triumph nor the struggle but the triumph by tiebreaker.
mbmbmbmbmb
Resumed, the harvest action is either "discard a field token for 5 rice" or "move a field token to granary for a 1 rice discount on 1 stationed army/turn". The harvest action allows you to make that decision for every developed (flipped) token.

I guess Ding Feng or Zhuge Liang could incite you to do a partial harvest, not something I would advise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
cloudsabacc wrote:
The rules say that when you take the harvest action, you may put some of your fields into your granary to get 5 rice. It also tells you you could leave some and keep them not harvested (even shown in the example). Here is my question : Why would you not harvest all fields? Is there any potential benefit to leaving it not harvested? Do you lose extra rice at cleanup? If not, why not harvest it all and hold on to the rice.

Thanks, Hugues, for replying in our absence. We confirm what Hugues wrote is correct.

First of all, I need to make sure the Harvest action is understood correctly. The Harvest action only affects the developed Farm tokens on your state's Farm development space (not Granary space). The Farm development space is the horizontal space where you placed 5 Farm tokens at the start of the game. The Granary space is the horizontal space directly above the Farm development space and was empty at the start of the game.

Next, when you take the Harvest action, all the developed Farm tokens on the Farm development space are affected. "Developed" means the farm tokens that have been flipped over to the side showing a picture of rice stalks.

When you take the Harvest action, one of two options must be taken with each developed Farm token. Option 1: Move the developed Farm token up onto the Granary space. Option 2: Remove the developed Farm token from the game and collect 5 rice immediately.

The relevant rules for this part can be found on the right side of page 11 of the rulebook:

Harvest – Move any number of the flipped farm tokens, i.e. developed farm side face up, from his farm development space to his granary. Collect 5 rice tokens per remaining flipped farm token not placed on his granary and remove these flipped farm tokens from the game.

I assume you are also wondering why option 1 would be taken at all. Why not just take option 2 for all the developed Farm tokens every time the Harvest action is taken.

Each developed Farm token in your Granary space reduces your stationed armies upkeep by 1 rice. If you have already stationed some armies and are taking the Harvest action in the current round, there is no guarantee that the game will end within the next 5 rounds. If the game continues for more than 5 rounds, then your total savings in rice will be more than 5 rice.

The relevant rules for this part can be found on the bottom of the right side of page 17 of the rulebook:

All players pay upkeep for popular support tokens in their respective supplies and for their army units stationed at border locations, as follows:

• 1 rice token for each stationed army unit, reduced by the number of farm and border location tokens on the corresponding state’s granary space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gravel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much! I actually misinterpreted the harvest rule. It makes so much more sense now!

This game is so great! Can't wait to play it again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.