Majesty: For the Realm» Forums » Rules

Subject: Big end game rules issue. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was playing a game yesterday with 3 players.

When we got to the end game, one player asked me if the infirmary also multiplied his score. I had never wondered about that and just assumed it didn't. But then, I thought that there must be something in the rules on this, since the infirmary IS a location. And characters there are still considered characters you own (Otherwise, when other players reach 12 chars, you could just keep buying more)

I checked the rules, and all it says is that you take the number of locations where you have characters, and multiply it with itself.
However that seems REALLY wrong.

If you're using Side A and you have characters at all 7 other locations, you'd get 49 points. But if you have a character in the infirmary, you'd lose one point, but get 64 points from the multiplier. Which means you net gain 14 points.

This means that it's always desirable to have a character in the infirmary, since the points you lose from having someone there is irrelevant. Even on Side B, as long as you don't have the most, it would be worth it most of the time.

That is VERY counter intuitive. And it also means that when I use a soldier, I'm giving other players more points then I make them lose, and more points than I gain from that soldier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phaseshifter wrote:

When we got to the end game, one player asked me if the infirmary also multiplied his score. I had never wondered about that and just assumed it didn't. But then, I thought that there must be something in the rules on this, since the infirmary IS a location. And characters there are still considered characters you own (Otherwise, when other players reach 12 chars, you could just keep buying more)

I checked the rules, and all it says is that you take the number of locations where you have characters, and multiply it with itself.

If you're using Side A and you have characters at all 7 other locations, you'd get 49 points. But if you have a character in the infirmary, you'd lose one point, but get 64 points from the multiplier. Which means you net gain 14 points.

This means that it's always desirable to have a character in the infirmary, since the points you lose from having someone there is irrelevant. Even on Side B, as long as you don't have the most, it would be worth it most of the time.

That is VERY counter intuitive. And it also means that when I use a soldier, I'm giving other players more points then I make them lose, and more points than I gain from that soldier.

A card in the Infirmary gives you a negative point, there is no further effect on final scoring.

The infirmary is not included in the variety scoring. You can tell this because the card does not have the variety scoring reminder icons on the bottom. The same is true for Majority scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
Phaseshifter wrote:

A card in the Infirmary gives you a negative point, there is no further effect on final scoring.

The same is true for Majority scoring.

Unless you are playing the B sides, then the person with the most in the Infirmary loses 10 points, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vacabck wrote:
jmathias wrote:
Phaseshifter wrote:

The same is true for Majority scoring.

Unless you are playing the B sides, then the person with the most in the Infirmary loses 10 points, right?

Yes, correct, sorry. You also lose 2 points per character on Side B. So it's a bit harsher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Keith
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
"Watch, but do not govern; stop war, but do not wage it; protect, but do not control; and first, survive!" - Cordwainer Smith
badge
"Aint that just the way"
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: ninja'd!

This is incorrect:

'The Rules, p. 7' wrote:
Each location card has the full set of icons in the bottom-right as a reminder of this step

The infirmary does not have the full set of icons printed on either side of it, ergo it is not a location for the effects of the Variety scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
touchstonethefool wrote:
EDIT: ninja'd!

This is incorrect:

'The Rules, p. 7' wrote:
Each location card has the full set of icons in the bottom-right as a reminder of this step

The infirmary does not have the full set of icons printed on either side of it, ergo it is not a location for the effects of the Variety scoring.

Good. Though it could be explained better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first step in Final Scoring is to discard all the cards in the infirmary:

return those cards to the box; they are no longer part of your realm

This is done before step 2 which is the Variety scoring. So it is clear to me that the infirmary doesn't get scored in the Variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
junesen wrote:

This is done before step 2 which is the Variety scoring. So it is clear to me that the infirmary doesn't get scored in the Variety.

Wow, never noticed that step. Must have read sideways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phaseshifter wrote:
junesen wrote:

Wow, never noticed that step. Must have read sideways.

May I suggest editing your initial post and subject so people browsing the forums don't get a misconception about the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.