Dragonfire» Forums » General

Subject: Dry erase or wet erase? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor H
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
What kind of markers would you recommend to use with the character sheets in this game?

I'm concerned with someone placing an elbow on the character sheet and accidentally erasing their XP or something, and at the same time I've heard horror stories of people using the wrong kind of marker on other games and not being able to erase them. Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jones
United States
Kennett Square
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a wet erase marker and it works well. I had the same concern about the dry erase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles A. Smith
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have checked "Crayola Dry Erase Colored Pencils" on the Dragonfire character cards. They do not smear on contact and wipe clean with a damp cloth with no trace. The "lead" is easily fractured after sharpening however. Use the yellow pencil to practice with the included sharpener.

https://www.amazon.com/Crayola-Washable-Dry-Erase-Colored-Pe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Adams
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greybear wrote:
I have checked "Crayola Dry Erase Colored Pencils" on the Dragonfire character cards. They do not smear on contact and wipe clean with a damp cloth with no trace. The "lead" is easily fractured after sharpening however. Use the yellow pencil to practice with the included sharpener.

https://www.amazon.com/Crayola-Washable-Dry-Erase-Colored-Pe...

Nice! I have some of those at work and wasn't even considering those as an option! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use full-adhesive post-it tape and a regular gel pen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Adams
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

Do those peel off very easy (if needed)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimwise wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

Yes.

Across 3 campaigns of 2p, we've easily created 40-50 'stickers'. They lose their stick after about 5 uses, at which point you just throw it away and make a new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Adams
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Jimwise wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

Yes.

Across 3 campaigns of 2p, we've easily created 40-50 'stickers'. They lose their stick after about 5 uses, at which point you just throw it away and make a new one.

Awesome, thank you! I was fine using the stickers in the game but they aren't always the best quality and have been curling up with use. Appreciate the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Adams
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect! Thank you for posting that.

Ironically, my daughter runs that exact same character and toyed naming her Melody because her, besides being too perfect, is the name of her best friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimwise wrote:
Perfect! Thank you for posting that.

Ironically, my daughter runs that exact same character and toyed naming her Melody because her, besides being too perfect, is the name of her best friend.

Many of my character names are ultimately puns - that one is just an obvious one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
Expo dry erase markers work fine. Haven't had any issues with excessive smudging or rubbing off accidentally. The four pack even has all four character class colors so you can color code items on the back of the character screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor H
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
It's pretty awesome that such a community exists where I can ask a nerdy question like "what markers are best to use on my paper toys?" and I get such prompt and sincere advice =)

Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Garvens
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
OW!
badge
Suuuuuuuperrrrr!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I've been using FriXion pens by pilot. They're an erasable pen but they "erase" with the heat generated by gentle friction and leave no residue and it does not damage the cards, other than leaving a faint impression.

Since they are essentially just gel pens they are easily readable and write nicely. They do not damage the screens at all.

That said, they ALSO erase with high enough heat of any type, and can be restored by freezing temperatures. So you wouldn't want to leave these outside where they could sit in the sun or in freezing temperatures or you'd find the ink completely erased, or have all previous marks restored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Flanagan
United States
Santa Cruz
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are scared that the makers could damage your character sheets, you could sleeve the character sheets too - Swan (Custom Made for Cutthroat Caverns) do a 90mm x 128mm sleeve that work. You need two sleeves per character sheet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteoanK wrote:
Expo dry erase markers work fine. Haven't had any issues with excessive smudging or rubbing off accidentally. The four pack even has all four character class colors so you can color code items on the back of the character screen.

I picked up Expo ultra fine tip dry erase markers today. The markers being in the character class colors was a draw. However, I'm having a hard time erasing them, at least with a tissue. What type did you get and what are you using to erase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
SteoanK wrote:

I picked up Expo ultra fine tip dry erase markers today. The markers being in the character class colors was a draw. However, I'm having a hard time erasing them, at least with a tissue. What type did you get and what are you using to erase?

I use the same ones. Don't use a tissue, just use your finger. The best advice I can say is to put your common magic items over on the right side of your character screen, since you'll be consuming those as used and erasing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteoanK wrote:
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
SteoanK wrote:

I use the same ones. Don't use a tissue, just use your finger. The best advice I can say is to put your common magic items over on the right side of your character screen, since you'll be consuming those as used and erasing.

Tried again this morning and it's definitely an incomplete removal, especially on the XP and Level spaces. I did use finger. Not really smart, more like it leaves shadows. I'm wondering if a dry erase eraser would be worth it,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
Tried again this morning and it's definitely an incomplete removal, especially on the XP and Level spaces. I did use finger. Not really smart, more like it leaves shadows. I'm wondering if a dry erase eraser would be worth it,

Might just be personal preference now. I'm not picky about it and it clears the writing fine. Might smudge a bit but it's not detrimental to the card to me so it's not a concern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.amazon.com/Crayola-Ultra-Clean-Washable-Markers-...&

Those are absolute perfection. A damp tissue or paper towel and it wipes right off, no streaks or mess...it's like it was never there. I've done it over and over and over. Got em at my local Walmart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Flanagan
United States
Santa Cruz
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
SteoanK wrote:
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
SteoanK wrote:

Sleeve the Characters sheets and Wet Erase works the best. Less risk of damaging the character sheets over time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.