Subject: question about longest wall scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Babcock
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
When counting wall length for longest wall scoring, do you count longest EXTERNAL wall around your Alhambra or the longest CONTINUOUS wall? What I mean is, look at the diagram on the last page of the rule sheet here...
http://www.boardgamecapital.com/game_rules/alhambra.pdf
If the walls labeled 6,7,8 did not exist, would the player then get credit for the wall shown beneath the Tower piece as part of their longest wall? (even though it heads inward away from the edge) Then they would have a 6 length wall with the last segment extending inward.

The rule sheet uses the word “around” which could be interpreted as a wall snaking anywhere around your Alhambra. Like things lying “around” my house don’t necessarily need to be pushed up against the outer wall.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Babcock wrote:
When counting wall length for longest wall scoring, do you count longest EXTERNAL wall around your Alhambra or the longest CONTINUOUS wall? What I mean is, look at the diagram on the last page of the rule sheet here...
http://www.boardgamecapital.com/game_rules/alhambra.pdf
If the walls labeled 6,7,8 did not exist, would the player then get credit for the wall shown beneath the Tower piece as part of their longest wall? (even though it heads inward away from the edge) Then they would have a 6 length wall with the last segment extending inward.

The rule sheet uses the word “around” which could be interpreted as a wall snaking anywhere around your Alhambra. Like things lying “around” my house don’t necessarily need to be pushed up against the outer wall.

Chris

It is longest continuous wall, but in practice, this has to be around the edge.

Using your example, it is not enough for the walls to be missing at 6, 7 and 8. The wall to the left of 6 (marked as internal) is internal because it is back-to-back. So it would still not count. If the wall wasn't in this place on that same tile, then it wouldn't be legal.

the only way for this segment of the wall to count is if Tile 6 is not in place at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreu P.
Spain
Barcelona
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the same file, right next to the image you pointed at...

Quote:
No points are awarded for walls which are back-to-back, i.e. internal walls.

Simply put, inner walls do not exist for the purpose of scoring. Only walls surrounding your Alhambra are considered when determining the longest continuous segment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Babcock
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
Aha. The phrase "back to back" answers my question. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my... surprise

We had picked this game up recently after not playing it for a long time, and I think we've been scoring this wrong. Will have to refer to the rulebook and confirm. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.