5 Posts

Ladder 29» Forums » General

Subject: How does it work in two player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Burns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious as to how it plays with just two players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
2p is definitely its weakest player count — but that's really a weakness of this genre, not just this particular game. If 2p is your primary player count, there are better card games. For the 3-5p range, this game is gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted the following response in the blog where you asked the same, but figured there might be some value in reposting it here...

I played it 2p the first few games as I learned it with my dad and later when I was teaching my wife how to play. I'll say this, it certainly is better with more players, but it can be fine with two. Furthermore, someone is always going to end up not scoring each round regardless of player count.

If players are evenly matched/experienced and don't mind a little bit of swinginess over the course of the game then it is fine with 2p. My dad in our last 2p game was out to a 16-1 lead and I came back and won 32-28 (or something close to that).

My wife didn't like it at 2p because she was just learning and playing me with experience and the one-sided first game tainted her (as she can't see it as a learning game, so we won't likely play it more with the two of us).

meeple Keep playing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Evans
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played it 2p, got killed 30-0. Came here to find out if we played it wrong because neither of us enjoyed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ehlke
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been testing a 2 player variant. Here's the changes:

- Don't use the start player hot spot card
- Draw and display 4 random hot spot cards, then pass 3 cards
- Winning player (more points) drafts hot spot first
- Losing player (fewer points) leads the first hand of the round

Design reasons for the change:
- Leading first is extremely strong in 2 player
- The start player hot spot card favors the better player in 2 player. Either the stronger player has a strong hand or they take the start player card.
- Allowing the leading player to draft a hot spot first allows them some denial to the other player, but leading first is stronger
- Displaying the hot spots before passing cards allows for more strategic passing

I'm still in the process of tweaking this, but this is what I have so far. Feel free to try it out!

Edit: adjusted 3 card display to 4 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.