BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: how to publish a children's board game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Renee Griggs
United States
California
flag msg tools
My grandson has created a fun board game (we are just in the paper stage) but I think it has potential to become a game for all kids. Does anyone know how to go about getting it submitted to a game company to see if it's something they would want to do?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to ask this question in the board game design forum here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/26/boardgamegeek/board-g...

Someone will probably be able to give you some guidance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ji Dan
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
As an alternative, I'd suggest DIY.

We're in a board and card game renaissance due to cheap, on-demand printing, including 3D printing, and there are many board game component supply companies to meet the demand. (See: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1839914/recommended-print-d...)

Crowdfunding has allowed people to self-capitalize. Board and card games can do very well. I'd suggest starting with a "friends&family" campaign you can self promote to build a prototype.

Most games will require extensive testing, and the prototype will facilitate that process, providing an attractive medium for play testers. Plus, there a for real version of game, so even if it stays at the prototype stage, it's a great memento.

But the prototype also gives you something real to pitch to a publishing company. But if the game "has legs" in terms of long-lasting appeal, you might be able to set up a little cottage industry and self-publish for a while. The bigger your numbers when you approach a publisher, the more leverage you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Making and producing a board game is fun when you are doing it for friends and family, seeing your own card designs on real card stock is great.

However, if you do get to the stage of considering publication, I would very strongly recommend reading this thread:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1082079/worst-kickstart...

It contains a wealth of poor Kickstarters that have failed out of the gate and sadly quite a lot are family and kids games. Have a look and see what people have done wrong before.

In many cases, the kids games have lofty ideals (telling readers that "this is THE game that will get kids off their blasted iPhones") but are actually very basic games and far behind current developments in board game mechanics and technology.

Ask on these forums for suggestions and be open to criticism and recommendations. A lot of people in a similar position are very defensive over their projects and don't listen to comments from people who are their potential customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.