Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NB: This is a work in progress.

We played Firefly: the RPG, and ran thru "Wedding Planners". Some interesting things came out of it. So I've just got some thoughts I'm gonna post here over the next few weeks, otherwise I'll forget them. THEN I'll try and turn them into Boardgame cards.

1) The ship: Serenity type Firefly -Fresh Clementine:
- Stolen (so use Serenity ship mat or other unused Mk 3.
- Focused Thrust for extra speed. Either create custom upgrade for +1 Range
or use upgrade from Jetwash for a second burn.
- Hidden Storage - more Stash
- Internal Security - defense against boarding
- Sandcasters - defense against pirates.
* Cards for all 4 of these exist somewhere. I'll just have to look them up.

- Tantalum/Lanthanum/Iridium Composite Drive Coils. (any Traveller fans out there?)
Experimental, subject to Misjump (rules card)

For balance, put the above four on two cards, so you can start with your choice of two add ons?

Mis-Jump: in storms, or on any Tech Breakdown roll of "1".
Continue in direction of last movement 1d6 (open ended) sectors.
If Mechanic, may +/- 1 to the roll after seeing the result.
If Pilot, move ship left/right 1 sector from arriving sector.
If roll takes you past edge of board, continue around edge of board until you count out the number of sectors. Ship needs to spend first movement re-entering the board from that edge.
Place Disgruntled Marker on Ship's Drive. May not Full Burn with Disgruntled Marker in Place. Use an Action to spend a Parts and roll 6+ Tech to remove the marker. Add +3 if Mechanic.

2) Crew:
Captain Wu-Tang:
- Leader, Negotiate x 2, Pilot, Guild Trader: "Get Out of Jail Free:
Spend 1 PP when you’re imprisoned, locked up, seized, or held. The Trade Guild springs you but they’ll ask you to do something for them later." Guild Trader might be something to remove Wanted tokens?
- Sick Hat: Gear, Fancy Duds, +1 Negotiate

Engineer Sinclair Anderson:
- Crew, Tech x2 (+1Tech if aboard ship (ie for Nav card rolls)), Mechanic. Rush Job/Hypothesize/Junkyard Genius (maybe something like Take -3 Tech penalty on Breakdown cards to eliminate "Full Stop" effect? Or may spend an action on any planetary Sector to create 1 Part)
- Customized Toolkit: Gear, 1 Tech, Hacking Kit

Cargomaster Jian Wei:
- Crew, Fight x2, Merc, Blunt Instrument (use Fight for Negotiate?), Steady (add Focus hmmm)
- Concealable Laser Pistol: Gear, +1 Fight, Firearm, Kosherized
- MPE 40 Plasma Rifle: Gear, +2 Fight, Firearm, Sniper Rifle, Prototype (roll a 1, mark it with Disgruntled. Discard on second digruntled marker. Take an Action to remove the marker). Hail of Bullets (area burst, kill 2 opponents).

Medic Rita Kai:
- Crew, Tech x 2, Medic, Go the Extra Mile (re-roll Medic rolls of "1"), Pacifist (return to ship whenever a Misbehave card calls for Fight Test)
- Journal Tablet: Gear (cortex relay???)
- MedKit: Gear

Ship's Security Rudolph Gaines:
- Crew, (+1 Fight, +1 Tech) Fightin' Type, Anger Issues (+1 Fight, -1 Negotiate for remainder of the turn?)
- Blue Sun Security Pass: Gear, FAKE ID (Like the ID gear card)
- PEB H8 (Plasma Energy Burst) Pistol: Gear, +2 Fight, Firearm, Prototype (roll a 1, mark it with Disgruntled. Discard on second digruntled marker. Take an Action to remove the marker).

Ship's Voice Lennox:
- Crew, +2 Negotiate, Companion, Smooth Talker (+1 Negotiate for Boarding Test? Take an extra Good when loading at the start of a Job?)
- Little Black Book: Gear, +1 Negotiate, roll 4+ to avoid receiving Wanted Token
- Carbon Fiber Pistol: Gear, +1 Fight, Firearm, Kosherized

3) New Supply Deck: Steele Industries (Templeton Colt Steele)
"How do I know you"?
At any planetary sector (EXCEPT Miranda) Present your bone fides:
- either an other Colt Gear card, or a Solid Contact in that region (Rim contact in a rim world, Border contact in a border world, Alliance contact in an alliance world, or Mr. Universe anywhere)
Gear and upgrade only deck
- local manufacturer: $200, allow you to buy Gear from any discard pile in that region (pay its cost)
- we can get that for you: $300, allow you to buy Gear from ANY discard pile.
- unique gear, such as MPE 40, MPE 30, PEB H8, (all prototypes)
- expand this to include other kinds of military gear, including Transport.

4) New NPC's (ie Crew cards)
Baron Fairchild (Contact deck?)
Lilliana Fairchild
Daniel Blake
Seth Leung
Asante Okoro

5) New Job and/or Story Cards:
- basically, convert the adventure into Job cards for Badger (it was his idea) (or for Fairchild?)
- use those as templates to create analogous Jobs for other Contacts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jones
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
That's great Gerry! I'd like to see some of the other characters from the rpg books in card form and some of the cards made into rpg ststs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I haven't played the adventures, but I've read them. I figure Asante, at least, should be a leader. I used a version of her in my Firefly RPG and "cast" her as Freema Agyeman (there are some nice shots from Law & Order where she looks more severe and professional than on Doctor Who).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, it'll be fun.

I agree about Asante, especially as she shows up in multiple adventures and has a crew of her own.

Steele Industries is my attempt to balance Gear cards. It's so easy to create new crew, as they stand out in anything you see and read. But Gear is falling behind. Steele Industries (or whatever I call it, after I re-read the module) will be crew-less for this reason. Besides, they are weapons manufacturers, so what do you expect. And it leets me introduce nifty items, or just retred and add more of the old ones.

By making them accessible everywhere, you can get Gear anywhere, though it'll cost you a Solid the first time you buy from him. Returning customers have , of course, already shown their bone fides. Kind of like Black Market that way. Also, no Shore Leave, strictly gear only. That way we don't turn every world into a Supply World.

I'll also try and create Job cards based on the modules, as this will help the other end of the game as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you want to create Gear, go for it. But if you're worried about the current imbalance... don't worry. I've got a plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So did the cylons, for 2 seasons or so. And then....

But seriously a Gear Only deck will be fun. Or, at worst a very-light-on-crew deck. Soldiers, scientists, ex-accountants from the company, that kind of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.