15 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: About game board extension and expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zanza Zanzara
msg tools
Hi all.

I will get the game on friday and i wonder if i also should get the game board extension and expansions.

the game board extension is not very expensive so i guess its a no-brainer?

about expansions: there is only one expansion available at the store right now and thats the wind gambit. should i get it? is it worth the money? the price is more than one third of the base game (base game 65 euro, expansion 28 euro). but i doubt that it will add one third content to the game or does it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume by the board game 'extension', you are just referring to the extension to play on a larger sized board. This doesn't change the gameplay, it just makes it all bigger. If that's your thing, by all means go for it. (I wouldn't even have room on my table for a bigger board!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zanza Zanzara
msg tools
yes, i mean this one:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameaccessory/207791/scythe-b...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zanzara wrote:
Hi all.

I will get the game on friday and i wonder if i also should get the game board extension and expansions.

the game board extension is not very expensive so i guess its a no-brainer?

about expansions: there is only one expansion available at the store right now and thats the wind gambit. should i get it? is it worth the money? the price is more than one third of the base game (base game 65 euro, expansion 28 euro). but i doubt that it will add one third content to the game or does it?

Larger board is cool. Wind Gambit is the 2nd expansion. Is Invaders from Afar not available currently? Invaders is definitely worth it - even if you don't plan to play with more than 5 players, you have 2 more options.

We played with WG this past weekend. It wasn't as impressive as I thought. Maybe we were still focused on the game too much but only one person used it for the ability to change out objectives (one of the 2 drawn abilities) and we never used the 2nd. I think all the ships moved a total of 4 spaces or less the whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the wind gambit yet but I do have the board extension and invaders from afar. The board extension is great, it makes the board massive and is nice to have at higher player counts. You will need a big table though!

I highly recommend Invaders from Afar, the new factions are a nice addition to the base game and are fun to play. As for the wind gambit, the thing I am most excited to try out is the new resolution tiles. Scythe can end somewhat suddenly which is exactly what the new resolutions aim to fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zanza Zanzara
msg tools
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Is Invaders from Afar not available currently?

sadly not. seems to be sold out because its currently on "waiting for reprint". but no clue when reprint will be released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zanza: The latest printing of Invaders from Afar is being shipped to distributors this week, so it'll be back in stores very soon.

Whenever you want to know the status of one of our products, just look here: https://stonemaiergames.com/e-newsletter/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zanza Zanzara
msg tools
jameystegmaier wrote:
Zanza: The latest printing of Invaders from Afar is being shipped to distributors this week, so it'll be back in stores very soon.

Whenever you want to know the status of one of our products, just look here: https://stonemaiergames.com/e-newsletter/

thank you very much for the information. but i guess this is only for the english version? i would need the german version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zanza: That's a good question for Feuerland. We are making more German Invaders for Feuerland, and they should have it in late spring, but the exact release is up to them to decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The larger board is just fluff. I played with it a couple times but we don't anymore because it really only made it harder to reach things. It is rare cases when having a larger hex would be useful.

The Wind Gambit didn't immediately look like a "must have" expansion, but I've only gotten the chance to play with it once. If you're not trying to add to an order to save on shipping, I'd just get the base game for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DC680 wrote:
As for the wind gambit, the thing I am most excited to try out is the new resolution tiles. Scythe can end somewhat suddenly which is exactly what the new resolutions aim to fix.

Good call. I forgot about this module as we did not use it in our game. I am sure WG is a good expansion, just need more time to play with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty Craine
United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/themillshow
badge
Me
mbmbmbmbmb
I think reviews on The Wind Gambit seem to rest solely on what you're expecting of an expansion. I, personally, love it. The airships are huge, they have varying powers from game to game. Some games they can carry workers. Need to get out of your starting area fast? Airships typically have faster movement than mechs right out of the gate and they don't need to wait for Riverwalk. Or maybe one game they only transport goods. I haven't used that ability yet. It hasn't come up, but I have a small group and there is usually no resource attacks in my group of two. You may have wildly different experiences.

The airships, in my limited experience of three games with the expansion, are nice tools but they aren't overpowered. In some games they play in nice with your strategy and some less so. But I'm good with that. I was worried that these huge hulking airships would radically change the game of Scythe that I love. They don't. But it really is a story of which combination of tiles you draw, and how your group plays. I drew a Siege Engine card which forces an enemy character or mech in the same territory as your airship to pay $1 each to leave the territory. The person I was playing against didn't want to pay it. So I was able to lock up their hero and one of their mechs for the entire game.

But the airships are only half of the expansion. The other half is the resolution tiles which replace the "6 stars placed to end the game." There are different end game triggers with those tiles. Maybe one game you go to exactly 20 turns. Maybe the next the Factory actually explodes at the end of the game removing all mechs and characters from a certain radius around the factory and then granting a popularity boon for each displaced unit. This can affect strategy greatly.

So yeah, I think The Wind Gambit is well worth the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zanza Zanzara
msg tools
thank you all for your help so far.
can anyone tell me if the game board extension is compatible with the german base game? do english and german base game have same size? because there is no german version of the game board extension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zanza: Yes, the board game extension is universal (both it and the game board are language independent, so they're exactly the same for all printings).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zanza Zanzara
msg tools
Thank you Jamey!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.