James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottRock79 wrote:
I noticed my Noah Redmoon Deck has a completely different card stock compared to the other decks. It seems thinner, and is definitely textured with a visible vertical grain. The cards also have a matte finish with no solid blacks. When I compare this to say, Jessa Na Ni, her deck is not matte finish, more a satin with some gloss, and her cards aren’t textured. And I’ve noticed a third type; my Leo Sunshadow deck is high gloss with rich blacks and the cards seem a little thicker. The difference between all three types is noticeable when placed side-by-side, black phoenix side-up.

Maybe there’s more card types and print quality in other decks but I noticed these three last night and I found myself asking the question, ‘Which do I prefer?’

As I don’t sleeve my cards, I want to say the high gloss cards that feel a little more durable, and I aesthetically like the rich blacks. But I like the textured feel of the other cards. I’ll also mention it seems thematically correct to have Noah’s cards textured, matte and a little desaturated while Leo’s are saturated and glossy.

Are your decks the same or different?

If Plaidhat where to only have one card and print method, which would you prefer?

You are saying that you have two different card finishes on two decks that were part of the same core set, and third finish on an expansion deck?

I can see the expansion maybe having a different finish, but I can't wrap my head around two decks in the same set having different finishes.

I have everything released so far, and I can't find any noticeable differences in stock, or finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These kinds of quality issues are often indicative of Chinese pirate copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottRock79 wrote:
@Scott, I didn’t think that. I did wonder though if they changed printers or paper during the change to Asmodee.

I’ve only got one of the newer decks, and have not opened the cards yet, so don’t have first hand experience, but I have not heard of there being any change in card/print quality.

However, even if they had changed printers the cards in a single core would still all be printed and assembled at the same time. So the fact that you have decks of different qualities in your core set suggests, to me, that that may be a fake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I went through my cards last night, and there is a slight difference in card stock (thickness, pliability) between the core set and the expansion decks. It is not noticeable when sleeved, and slightly noticeable on bare cards. If a person wasn't specifically looking for it, I don't think they'd notice.

I can't detect any color differences on the backs, and the finish of all cards are identical. I have smooth semi-gloss finish on all cards.

To be clear, my core set is from the first printing, and each of my expansions are first printings as well. I bought the core direct from Plaid Hat, and all expansions from CSI and MM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved my Namine and Odette decks earlier today.

I saw no difference in card quality, print quality, or finish, between those or any of my older cards.

I even pulled a selection of older cards out of their sleeves to check I was not misremembering, but they all looked and felt exactly the same.

From where are you purchasing your decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m not sure if you are not understanding or not acknowledging what it is I am saying to you, Scott.

I checked a random sample of my cards, from across all expansions, and core set decks.

The card quality, print quality, and finish, were the same for every single card I looked at.

What you have described is not normal.

I strongly suspect that your core set is fake. And possibly one or more of your expansions too.

The very least I would do is to return the core set and get a refund or replacement, if you can.

Normal Ashes cards have black blacks, a slightly textured, almost smooth, satin finish, and good card stock.

I would also return, and get a refund or replacement for, any expansions that do not match that description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
I’m not sure if you are not understanding or not acknowledging what it is I am saying to you, Scott.

He's definitely ignoring what others are saying. Not sure, why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottRock79 wrote:
I also know that I studied printmaking at university and have done a lot of printmaking in my lifetime and I also know the majority of people can never see the fine differences in colour and texture, so maybe your stock is different but you can’t tell.

Trust me when I say I have the background, and experience necessary to tell the difference between card stocks, finishes and color gamut. As I mentioned earlier there is a very slight, not noticeable to the layperson difference between the core cards and expansion cards, but literally no difference between cards within the same sets.

ScottRock79 wrote:
And James, the thread is meant to be about which card and print quality you would prefer if you could choose, so I was trying to keep it on that topic.

This thread may have started that way but it has become about a claim that there are as many as two different types of cards in a single core set box, and two other in different expansions. And no one corroborating that statement, and in fact pointing out that you likely have a pirate/bootleg copy.

No one can tell you which stock they prefer out of the ones you list because no one else has these options available in their sets to compare and contrast.

I will say I prefer the card stock and finish of the Core Set I have, compared to the slightly thinner cards in the expansions.

That said, the card stock and finish in my copies is far from the best I've seen, handled, or prefer in gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason I asked where you’re getting your decks from is because there is a known issue with counterfeiting in the industry right now.

Amazon in particular is flooded with counterfeits. But if you bought from brick and mortar stores that would show that these fakes have made it into retail distribution.

Anyway, to answer your question: I prefer the quality and finish of the cards in legit copies. I couldn’t care less about the quality and finish of fake copies.

But given that some of your cards appear to be fake I fail to see the relevance of the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottRock79 wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
The reason I asked where you’re getting your decks from is because there is a known issue with counterfeiting in the industry right now.

Amazon in particular is flooded with counterfeits. But if you bought from brick and mortar stores that would show that these fakes have made it into retail distribution.

Anyway, to answer your question: I prefer the quality and finish of the cards in legit copies. I couldn’t care less about the quality and finish of fake copies.

But given that some of your cards appear to be fake I fail to see the relevance of the question.

As a game player and designer, I would have thought you’d have a preference.

Yes.

My preference is for legit cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.