Subject: Cultist - Attack on Death - Disarmed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have killed a Cultist whose AI card has it attack on death, but the attack I killed it with disarmed him.

What do you think happens?

What if the fatal attack pushed the cultist out of its attack on death AoE?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Siddiqi
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
Good question! I have no answer, only opinions. I think this one needs a ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
interpretting the RAW, death would occur prior to the disarm or push, so I would think you would be subject to the Exploding Cultist effect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Side questions: if this is the cultist "exploding", then will it adjacent monsters?

I've been playing it as an actual attack (e.g. death blow), not an explosion per se, which means enemies adjacent to the cultist are not impacted.

But that's just my interpretation; would be interested to learn how others have played it and/or an official ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
ricedwlit wrote:
Side questions: if this is the cultist "exploding", then will it adjacent monsters?

I've been playing it as an actual attack (e.g. death blow), not an explosion per se, which means enemies adjacent to the cultist are not impacted.

But that's just my interpretation; would be interested to learn how others have played it and/or an official ruling.
No. The card shows a melee AOE, and mentions attacks. You cannot attack allies unless explicitly specified, such as the few Cragheart cards that do. You are correct in that it is an attack, and as such, only targets enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ricedwlit wrote:

if the Tinkerer's Flamethrower doesn't harm allies, I don't see why the Cultist's death attack would. No, there isn't anything that actually states that it is an explosion, but that's just how I picture it, even if it is an "explosion of mystical force that somehow only affects enemies"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good questions. If the Cultist was disarmed, no attack. The push thing tho is not so cut and dried. My gut says the push would take effect before the final death attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A push takes place after an attack - if the attack kills it, then it doesn’t get pushed.

Similarly, conditions get applied after your attack. If a monster is killed, the condition isn’t applied, so the cultists attack would take place.

(Edit: see faq ruling in “player abilities” section in respect to effects such as conditions and push/pull on an attack that kills a monster.)

If the cultist was disarmed earlier and the condition remained in effect at the time of death, the cultist could not attack - attack being the key word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassio Santos Pereira
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
interpretting the RAW, death would occur prior to the disarm or push, so I would think you would be subject to the Exploding Cultist effect

Totally agree, but what if the death happens before the Cultist's turn? I would assume the attack doesn't happen, as the monster's card is only active from it's turn on.

Does that make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. If the Cultist hadn't yet activated, it would get no effects from its action card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Vedarta wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:

Totally agree, but what if the death happens before the Cultist's turn? I would assume the attack doesn't happen, as the monster's card is only active from it's turn on.

Does that make sense?

correct. Nothing on the ability card takes affect until that ability is activated (when that monster's turn comes up in the initiative order), just like Shield and/or Retaliate abilities listed on ability cards (however, anything listed on the big stat card is permanently in effect, regardless of whether that monster's turn has yet occured in the round, but that isn't the case here)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daemon6 wrote:
Yes. If the Cultist hadn't yet activated, it would get no effects from its action card.

When it's action card does activate, does the ability only last until the end of the current round or does it persist until the Cultists next gets an action next round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Daemon6 wrote:

When it's action card does activate, does the ability only last until the end of the current round or does it persist until the Cultists next gets an action next round?

End of the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Daemon6 wrote:

End of round, unless it involves some sort of status effect (like Bless or Strengthen) which would then follow the the normal rules for that status (Bless would add a 2x card to the monster att mod deck, and Strengthen would last until the end of their next turn)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:

Even if that were not the case:

Rules page 21 wrote:

If a figure is disarmed, it cannot perform any attack abilities on it's turn.

(emphasis mine) That leads me to believe disarm doesn't have effect outside of the turn. That would also be consistent with the interaction of stun/disarm/immobilize and (most of) MTs mind control powers (which also force an enemy to act outside of their turn).

Edit: Disregard that. I remembered wrong. It's been errata'd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Mai
United States
California
flag msg tools
Would you mind pointing me to that errata?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lukasu wrote:
Would you mind pointing me to that errata?

It's in the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.