Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the 50th Anniversary edition out for the first time (most of us had a BLAST, of course), and a couple of questions came up....

When you're eliminated, you generally (except for via Propaganda, of course) get a final retaliatory strike. So far, so good.

We had an odd situation come up - we had somebody eliminated during the opening phase where everybody is playing their Secret/Top Secret cards and then drawing replacements. Do you break THEN for final retaliation? It seems like you would as the rules read, but it isn't clear to me how the Secrets fit in, especially in our case where the person who was eliminated hadn't yet played theirs. Does the eliminated player play their Secrets, replenish, and THEN retaliate? Do they do that, except NOT drawing replacements for the Secrets? Or do they only play the launchers & warheads they have?

On a related note, the rule on retaliation says that you get to play the cards in your hand, but it doesn't mention the two cards queued on your player mat. I therefore conclude that those two cards are NOT played as part of the retaliation, although it seems rather odd that prepared cards aren't played while unprepared ones (left in hand) are. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pierce
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play that you retaliate with everything that you have. That would apply to the opening round as well. However, we always call a 'farmer's hand' with less than 30 Million population, so that doesn't come up that often.

Edit: I think there might be a condition on retaliation during peacetime during the first round, I don't have time to pull out the rulebook at the moment to confirm that though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Those two face down in your 'pipeline' do count as being in your hand. They are counted when counting if you have 9 cards in your hand.

You play all your cards in your hand 'including' those 'in play'. So, if you have a bomber 'in play' it will get to drop bombs (as will the space platform if it's already launched and in space. etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we play it out, yes to final retalliation
I guess we have house ruled the no redraw though on the secrets since that was the last round for you

interesting question that I just thought of, can you launch a bomber that is not facedown? (aka - play it from your hand)

we have always allowed it, but it makes thematic sense that if it wasn't on the launch pad or in the air then it wouldn't

just piggybacking a question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.