Hide
14 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Secret Objective Scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Connolly
msg tools
I recently played a game where the secret objective came up, win a space combat against A player with the most points. I was point leader and the player with the objective defeated me in a space combat. After which the player with the imperial card was able to score 2 points immediately and tie me for points. Then another player removed a law that was providing me a victory point. After the point loss I no longer had the most points. So when the status phase came and we scored objectives the argument became does he score the objective because when we fought I was point leader or can he not score it because when we reach that phase I am no longer point leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That particular secret objective says "action phase", meaning the player who won the combat against you should have revealed the card and scored the point immediately after the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also what was the law?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Connolly
msg tools
That works for me. Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Connolly
msg tools
The law was a Victory point was assigned to a cultural planet I controlled
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
RKon27 wrote:
I recently played a game where the secret objective came up, win a space combat against A player with the most points. I was point leader and the player with the objective defeated me in a space combat. After which the player with the imperial card was able to score 2 points immediately and tie me for points. Then another player removed a law that was providing me a victory point. After the point loss I no longer had the most points. So when the status phase came and we scored objectives the argument became does he score the objective because when we fought I was point leader or can he not score it because when we reach that phase I am no longer point leader.

I believe that secret scores immediately.

IMHO the immediate scoring secrets are a bit broken. (the guy playing you should have saved to for a mid round win)

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
malloc wrote:
IMHO the immediate scoring secrets are a bit broken. (the guy playing you should have saved to for a mid round win)

How so? I don't have a problem with the "immediate" secrets, as they can be a very good way to help a player catch up, even if they can be used to "jump ahead" as well.

I think just knowing what those immediate secrets are will be a big help, though - that way, you can see if someone is trying to do them. The "Turn their Fleets to Dust" objective, for instance, can be very tough if other players think you have it, because completely obliterating a fleet with PDS is not easy unless you catch them by surprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Off topic, if multiple people have PDS in range when one of them is going for "Turn their Fleets to Dust", that Player would also be at the whims of initiative order relative to the active player.

On topic, some secret objectives are scored during Action phase and others during Status Phase. Most that involve combat (space combat, invasion combat, or destroy X).

For clarification of this particular objective, in TI4, tied for most is most & tied for least is least. So it can be scored by a player with "the most" points against another player with "The most" points, even if "the most points" happens to be 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard DTA
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I'm fine scoring it in the Action Phase. However, are you still limited to scoring one secret objective per round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DocDTA wrote:
I'm fine scoring it in the Action Phase. However, are you still limited to scoring one secret objective per round?

The only restriction is that you can only score one per status phase. There is no limit to action phase scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
The only restriction is that you can only score one per status phase. There is no limit to action phase scoring.

That is not quite correct. There is a limit to one per combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pillow
United Kingdom
Worcester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

Just remember Space Combat and Ground combat are different combats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

True. I meant no limit in terms of "one per round", but I should have clarified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pillinjer wrote:
Clipper wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

Just remember Space Combat and Ground combat are different combats.

In systems with multiple planets, you can also score a 1 secret objective for each ground combat. In theory, at least. Of the 5 secret objectives that can be scored in the action phase, only 1 - Spark a Rebellion - can be scored from a ground combat. This may change with future expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.